Akai Professional has announced Rhythm Wolf, an analog drum machine and bass synthesizer module with built-in sequencing.
The Rhythm Wolf is an authentic analog instrument that combines the coveted sounds of early electronic and hip-hop music with genuine Akai Professional workflow. Inspired by the classic analog beat machines and synthesizers of the past, Rhythm Wolf enables today’s musicians to harness iconic analog sounds for music production and performance. The drum machine consists of five highly-tweakable drum sounds and includes a kick, snare, open & closed hi-hat, and metallic percussion. Onboard controls allow users to customize the tuning, amplitude envelopes, and volume of each drum voice separately for precise real-time adjustment. The bass synthesizer features a selectable oscillator (sawtooth or square wave), classic filter design, a filter envelope with variable decay, and is capable of creating powerful bass sounds and squelchy leads.
Outfitted with six genuine MPC pads and a built-in 32-step sequencer, the Rhythm Wolf provides an ultra-responsive interface with a classic drum machine layout. Drum patterns can be fine-tuned using the Swing function, Pattern Select, and Tempo Control knob. A custom distortion signal path, activated by the “Howl” knob, adds grit and character for additional tone shaping. Rhythm Wolf features USB-MIDI, MIDI In/Out, a gate trigger, and integrates seamlessly with modern and vintage equipment. Two audio outputs enable producers and performers to mix percussion sounds and bass independently.
Rhythm Wolf features
- 5-voice analog drum machine and synth—authentic analog design that references classic rhythm machines and synthesizers.
- Legendary analog drum sounds—kick, snare, open & closed hi-hat, and metallic percussion.
- Synth-bass module—selectable square or sawtooth wave with classic filter design for warm, deep basses and squelchy leads..
- Onboard 32-step sequencer—classic drum machine workflow for quickly laying down grooves and melodies.
- Six genuine MPC pads—responsive controls for sequencing and finger drumming.
- Howl knob—custom distortion circuit for additional sound design.
- USB-MIDI and MIDI In/Out—flexible MIDI connectivity for easy integration into modern studios.
- Gate Trigger—triggering via modular synths, vintage sequencers, or external sound sources.
- Independent audio outputs—dedicated outputs for the drum machine and synth-bass module for precise mixing.
The Rhythm Wolf will be available in Summer 2014, distributed worldwide with a $199.99 USD street price.
Akai Professional will unveil the Rhythm Wolf at Musikmesse, Hall 5.1, Booth B45, March 12-15 in Frankfurt, Germany.
More information: Akai Pro