Note: this post is from 2009, outbound links may be broken.
Arturia announces Minimoog V 2.0 and Brass 2.0
A Minimoog is a Minimoog. What else can you add to it? That would not deform it, denature it, and take it to a place it does not belong to. In version 2, we made the choice to work in fits and starts, adding enough to inject fresh blood and excitement, while keeping the original DNA. In this version you will find an innovative preset explorer, an exciting new effect called the Vocal Filter, automation over four parameters and a few other additional improvements. The Minimoog is a classic; this is why we have brought you a version that keeps the core emotion intact while fostering the experience to a new level of simplicity and creativity.
New in Minimoog V 2.0
- Sound MAP: Explore hundreds of sounds using our revolutionary Sound MAP. Locate areas you like and pick a sound that will stimulate your creativity. Morph sounds on the MAP by clicking anywhere you like. Add filters to make your search easier, or get back to the traditional list of presets, by sound-designer or by type. Be creative, be funky, be a sound-traveller.
- Vocal Filter: Did you ever think of making a Minimoog talk? Well we thought of it and came with a very exciting solution called the Vocal Filter. Sonic results can be spectacular, similar to those sounds from Kubrick movies.
- Circuitry improvements: While we built around the core Minimoog structure, we also added a few options in the circuits. The Keyboard Follow can now be deactivated on VCO2. In addition, we extended the modulation matrix and added a few sources and destinations. The Pan and Vocal Filter can now be used as destinations. Two random signals based on a Sample&Hold are added as inputs. We also allowed for using the voice number (from the polyphonic range) as a discreet source, which proved very interesting to control different parameters.
- Automation: What if a Minimoog offered automation – not as a control option but as a sound-design tool? Pick up to four parameters and record realtime changes within the preset. This is an entirely new sound palette that will arise, just by the traditional Minimoog scenery.
Brass V2 is a collection of a trumpet, a saxophone and a trombone, all delivered in software format. You can play each of these instruments independently, or all of them together using different types of harmonization and effects.
It certainly isn’t your typical sample-based solution that comes with Gigabytes of samples. As a matter of fact, Brass V2 is a real instrument allowing for a lot of expressivity, subtlety and personal interpretation. Learning how to use Brass in-depth usually takes a couple of hours, but be assured you will never go back to using samples. This is what innovation and technology should always be used for: offering you more power and creativity, without any additional complexity.
New in Brass 2.0
- New Saxophone model: In Version 2, BRASS comes with a new saxophone model. It is based on a tenor saxophone by Buffet-Crampon. We have also reproduced two different mouthpieces, one classical and one jazz.
- New Harmonization: As you can now play four different instruments at a time, we bring you a new harmonization engine that is extremely easy to use. Sections, duets, trios, all these are now possible.
- New Spatiality: Realism mainly comes from the core instrument models, but also from the recording scenery. The new spacialization adds a new level of possibilities to your brass parts.
- New MIDI integration: In version 2, Brass comes with a better integration in the musician’s studio. MIDI settings will allow you to easily decide whether you control Brass using a simple keyboard, a breath-controler, an Akai EWI, a Yamaha WX5 and more.
- New Riff organization: While Brass is primarily a set of instruments to play, it also comes loaded with hundreds of pre-written phrases. Organized by style, such as Hip-Hop, Latino, Rock, Jazz or even Military, they make it easy for non-players to insert realistic brass parts in their music. All of these phrases can be quickly and dramatically modified in all aspects.
Minimoog V 2.0 and Brass 2.0 will be available soon, free to all registered users.
Visit Arturia for more information.