Avid has introduced the Pro Tools | S3 desktop control surface, a streamlined, versatile mixing solution that gives sound engineers the powerful, intelligent control they need to work more ergonomically and efficiently, create the highest-quality mixes, and expand mixing capabilities and job opportunities.
When used together, Avid Pro Tools | S3 and Pro Tools | Software—both part of the Avid Artist Suite of creative tools powered by the Avid MediaCentral Platform—deliver the most streamlined, economical, and tightly integrated approach to mixing and recording in smaller-sized studios or mobile settings.
“In today’s competitive post and music mixing environment, shrinking budgets and tighter schedules are commonplace,” said Chris Gahagan, senior vice president of Products and Technology at Avid. “To succeed, audio professionals need to streamline and accelerate their workflow, as well as broaden the scope and capabilities of their mixing solutions to handle the most sophisticated projects. The affordable Pro Tools | S3 delivers the power, efficiency, and versatility engineers need to deliver fast turnarounds in the most demanding environments.”
The Pro Tools | S3 control surface is designed to help sound engineers:
- Expand mixing capabilities, and take on a diverse range of projects: Based on the award-winning Pro Tools | S6 control surface, the S3 features open integration with Pro Tools | Software and other EUCON-enabled digital audio workstations like Logic Pro, Cubase, and more.
- Meet strict project deadlines: By combining traditional console layout with the proven advancements of the S6, Pro Tools | S3 delivers highly intuitive recording, editing, and mixing control—along with the power and efficiency to meet fast turnaround times.
- Mix on-the-go: The compact form factor fits into any space, making Pro Tools | S3 ideal for small project studios or on-the-go music and post mixing.
- Work the way they want: Engineers can customize the surface to their unique needs by creating custom channel layouts, all recallable at any time. Pro Tools | S3 can switch between two applications with ease, giving users the choice to work however they want, and the capability to take on the largest, most demanding mixes.
- Fit well into any studio and workflow: Pro Tools | S3 easily integrates with solutions across the Avid MediaCentral Platform, as well as a studio’s existing systems and workflows to deliver deep hardware/software integration and control at a fraction of the price of high-end consoles.
Pro Tools | S3 features
- 16 channel strips, each with a touch-sensitive, motorized fader and 10-segment signal level meter (supports up to 6 fader banks).
- 32 touch-sensitive, push-button rotary encoders for panning, gain control, plug-in parameter adjustments, and more (16 channel control, 16 assignable), each with a tricolor LED function indicator.
- 32 high-resolution OLED displays for viewing track names/numbers, detailed metering data (from mono to 5.1 surround), parameter names/values, current automation mode, and more.
- Solo, mute, channel select, and record/automation-enable keys on every channel
- Touch strip provides easy access to transport controls.
- Dozens of dedicated buttons and switches for navigation, automation, control assignment, and software control.
- Built-in 4×6 AVB Core Audio interface includes 2 XLR mic/line inputs, 2 TRS line inputs, 2 XLR line outputs, 2 TRS line outputs, and a stereo headphone output.
Avid Pro Tools | S3 will be available November 2014 through Avid resellers worldwide.