Note: this post is from 2009, outbound links may be broken.
Bolder Sounds releases Bavarian Zither + demo version
Bolder Sounds has released Bavarian Zither, a sampled zither instrument for Kontakt 2 & 3 and EXS24.
My original intention in sampling this instrument was to capture its beautiful harp-like quality and create all sorts of unusual layers and keyboard mappings. However, I realized afterwards it would be expected to have some programming that reflects the way a Zither is traditionally played, so I have attempted to offer both.
Bavarian Zither features
- 608 MB library, 24 bit stereo samples (no loops) for Kontakt 2 & 3 as well as the Apple EXS24.
- Fingerboard articulations sampled: flesh plucked, metal finger pick, open strings, harmonics.
- Accompaniment String articulations sampled: flesh pluck at strings center, flesh pluck at strings bridge, metal finger pick, harmonics.
- Samples are split in 3 folders:
- Zither Traditional – instruments with the accompaniment strings on the lower part of the keyboard map and the fingerboard samples in the upper keyboard map. There is a gap in the keyboard mapping to distinguish the accompaniment strings and the fingerboard strings. The release times on the AMP envelopes tend to be quite a bit shorter than the release times on instruments in the ‘Harplike folder’.
- Zither Harplike – a more creative approach to sound design, featuring the various layers and splits of the articulations that were sampled. The modulation wheel is frequently used as a mixing control between layers. Most of the instruments presented here would be impossible to create on a Zither in real time.
- Zither Components – contains all the separate sampled parts of the Zither, assembled to enable the user to easily piece together whichever sampled parts of the Zither they choose to use.
Bavarian Zither is available for the introductory price of $34.95 USD until June 1, 2009 (regular price $49.95 USD).
A free demo version is availalbe for download here.
This version is 1 instrument titled Zither FREE flesh.nki (or .exs). This instrument combines samples from the accompaniment strings as well as the fingerboard fretted strings, with flesh of the finger plucked articulation.
Visit Bolder Sounds for more information and audio demos.