In use for over twenty years by performers, composers, artists, scientists, teachers, and students, Max is the way to make your computer do things that reflect your individual ideas and dreams. Version 5 is a dramatic transformation of Max that begins a new chapter in the program’s history.
New in Cycling ’74 Max 5
- New Patcher – Multiple undo, zooming, grids, and a convenient toolbar.
- File Browser – A new window that uses a database to manage your Max assets: patchers, media files, examples.
- Presentation Mode – A new way to create user interfaces for patches. Select only the objects that make up your user interface and arrange them the way that makes the most sense, leaving your patching logic untouched.
- Inspector Window – The Max 5 object Inspector is consistent for all objects and is based on an attribute model. Any object property that is an attribute can be monitored or changed in the inspector.
- Integrated Documentation – Max 5 is designed to assist your programming efforts by offering relevant information about objects and editing functions when you need it. A new Clue Window provides context-sensitive information about menu items, objects, attributes, user interface features, and more.
- Debugging and Monitoring – The Watchpoints window allows you to monitor the messages flowing through any patch cord and capture a history for examination in a text window. You can also cause Max to stop on any patch cord and look at the current state of all objects with the new Debug Window.
- Time Objects – Most Max and MSP objects that deal with time have been rewritten so you can use them with metrical (tempo-relative) time values. A new transport object provides the master clock that controls these objects.
- There’s more, and even lots more…
The complete Max 5 bundle (which includes all the Max, MSP, and Jitter objects) is $699 USD. A Max/MSP bundle that includes a limited set of Jitter objects is available for $495 USD, and the Max 5 Upgrade is $199 USD.