Note: this post is from 2009, outbound links may be broken.
de la Mancha releases sidearm
de la Mancha has released sidearm, a very flexible compressor with many options to tweak the sidechain signal for very precise control.
It can perform downwards, upwards and parallel compression and limiting, in peak or RMS flavours and with lookahead if you want it. But the sidechain control is where sidearm really gets to business. Whether you choose an internal sidechain or an external audio source, you can modify the sidechain audio with a multi-mode, adjustable-slope filter (up to 96 dB/octave) and adjust the mid/side, stereo balance and gain. You can also gate the control signal so it only kicks in above a certain level. This brings a level of control that will allow you to define exactly when the compressor kicks in, by isolating specific frequencies, stereo positions and volume levels in the sidechain. There is even a ‘sidechain listen’ option so you can hear what the compressor hears in the sidechain.
- Multi-function compressor with tweakable sidechain and comprehensive metering
- Flexible controls allow use as a compressor, limiter or maximiser
- Sidechain signal can be filtered, adjusted for mid/side, stereo balance and gain for precise triggering
- Internal or external sidechain routing
- 6 mode filter (LP, HP, BP, notch, peak a & b) adjustable from 12 to 96 dB/Octave to isolate frequencies in the sidechain
- Sidechain listen option – you hear what the compressor detects in the sidechain
- Wet/Dry mix control allows blending of dry uncompressed signal for NY style parallel compression
- Dirt knob adds saturation for subtle flavour or full-on filth
- Attack / Release curve can be linear or non-linear
- Stereo input detection can be linked or unlinked, with max or average level detection
- Distortion ‘cleaning’ option for very short release times
- Input detection can be Peak or RMS level with adjustable window
- Optional limiting on final output
- Look-ahead defined by user in ms
- Metering for each band and combined output, covers stereo input, output and gain reduction with adjustable sensitivity. All meters show actual and peak levels
- Presets covering all functions and many configurations
sidearm is available as a VST effect plug-in for Windows PC for an introductory price of $20 USD until 31 March, 2009 (regular price $29 USD). A demo version can be downloaded from the product page.
Visit de la Mancha for more information.