DyVision releases VideoTape Emulator effect plugin
DyVision Works has announced the release of the VideoTape Emulator, an effect plugin that emulates the classic and imperfect texture imparted to audio recorded on video tape.
Towards the end of its technological life cycle video tape had surprisingly good audio quality. But as anybody who remembers the 80s, video rental stores, and ‘video nasties’ knows, this was not always the case. VCRs & tape could impart an almost overbearing sonic signature to audio material due to factors such as :
- Stretched, worn, or mangled tape
- Misaligned heads or rollers
- Sticky reels
- Demagnetized tape
- Magnetized heads
- Inherant noise problems worsened by
- Overzealous audio compressors / limiters
- Poor quality ‘consumer grade’ electronics
- Variation between different machines
Just like vinyl, the qualities of video tape have the ability to instantly invoke the feel of a certin era. It was considered crap at the time, but then again so were analog synthesizers.
The VideoTape plug-in for Windows (VST) is available to purchase for 31.65 EUR.