FabFilter has released Pro-Q 2, an updated version of its equalizer effect plug-in for Windows and Mac.
Completely redesigned EQ engine
For Pro-Q 2, FabFilter has completely redesigned the internal filter engine from the ground up — not only improving the existing Zero Latency and Linear Phase processing modes, but also introducing a unique Natural Phase mode. Besides perfectly matching the magnitude response of analog EQ’ing, Natural Phase also closely matches the analog phase response, without introducing noticeable pre-ring or a long latency. Last but not least, FabFilter Pro-Q 2 is more than twice as CPU-efficient as its predecessor.
Universal filter slope support
Very steep filter slopes of up to 96 dB/octave are now available, and, uniquely, FabFilter Pro-Q 2 lets users change the slope of any filter type — not just the usual Low/High Cut filters. This makes it possible to create super-narrow bell filters, very steep or gently sloping shelves, and more. In addition to the existing Bell, Low/High Shelf, Low/High Cut, and Notch filters, Pro-Q 2 also features new Band-Pass and Tilt Shelf filter types.
More interface innovations
Furthermore, FabFilter Pro-Q 2 is boosted by an abundance of user interface innovations. Spectrum Grab enables users to directly adjust peaks in the real-time spectrum analyzer display. Pro-Q 2 offers flexible interface resizing, in addition to a Full Screen mode that makes it easier than ever to do ultra-precise adjustments. EQ Match lets users match the spectrum of another track in just a few seconds. All this power is neatly integrated into a gorgeous, uncluttered interface that lets users focus freely on music and workflow.
Original and trailblazing
Of course, Pro-Q 2 features everything that was great about the original Pro-Q — up to 24 EQ bands, innovative interface with unsurpassed workflow and multi-band selection, per-channel EQ’ing in L/R or M/S mode, real-time spectrum analyzer, intelligent solo mode, double-click text entry, stereo/mono plug-ins, Pro Tools hardware surface support — as well as all the trailblazing FabFilter bells and whistles that users have come to expect and love — perfectly fine-tuned knobs and controllers, GPU-powered graphics acceleration, interactive MIDI Learn, undo/redo and A/B switch, Smart Parameter Interpolation for smooth parameter transitions, an extensive help file with interactive help hints, sample-accurate automation, advanced optimization, and more.
New in Pro-Q 2
- Different interface sizes and additional Full Screen mode.
- Operates in zero latency mode, linear phase mode with adjustable latency or the unique Natural Phase mode.
- Spectrum Grab: just grab and adjust a peak in the real-time spectrum analyzer right away!.
- Filter shapes: Bell, Notch, High/Low Shelf, High/Low Cut, Band Pass, Tilt Shelf.
- Universal filter slope support for all filter types, up to 96 dB/oct.
- EQ Match feature to automatically match the spectrum of another track via the side-chain input.
- Phase Invert option to change polarity.
- Highly improved CPU optimization: Pro-Q 2 uses less memory and is more than twice as efficient as its predecessor!.
- Optional Gain-Q interaction.
- Auto Gain and Gain Scale.
- Built-in spectrum analyzer with Pre-EQ, Post-EQ and SC modes, adjustable range, speed, resolution, tilt and freeze.
- Optional piano roll display to quantize EQ frequencies to musical notes.
- Large output level meter with peak level readout.
FabFilter Pro-Q 2 for Windows and Mac (VST/AU/RTAS/AAX/AudioSuite) is available for purchase for 149 EUR/$199 USD/£124 GBP. Bundles with FabFilter Pro-Q 2 and other FabFilter plug-ins are also available. Existing FabFilter customers can purchase or upgrade to Pro-Q 2 with a discount from their online user accounts.