Focusrite ISA428 MkII, four-channel mic preamp announced
Focusrite has announced the ISA428 MkII, a premium four-channel mic preamp supporting an optional eight-channel A-D converter.
The ISA428 MkII features four of Focusrite’s classic ISA preamps, originally developed for the legendary Forté console. It supports the same professional eight-channel A-D converter option used with the ISA828. The A-D converter accepts four line inputs in addition to the signals passing through the main channels of the ISA428 MkII, creating eight high-quality digital streams with a superb 122dB dynamic range. Thanks to its convenient 25-pin D-Type connector, the A-D converter option integrates seamlessly with most digital workstations, including Pro Tools HD.
Mirroring the feature set of the original, each ISA428 MkII channel has a variable impedance circuit allowing you to perfectly match the preamp with any microphone, or to use different settings creatively to shape the sound of the microphone. Adjustable high-pass filters as well as phantom power and phase reverse controls are easily accessible on the front panel.
When designing the ISA428 MkII, the Focusrite R&D team were determined to maintain the pristine sound quality of its predecessor, but introduce it at a new level of affordability. To that end, the exact same analogue circuit board can be found in both the original and MkII derivations of the ISA428.
ISA428 MkII key features
- Four ISA series transformer-based preamps – ISA series mic preamps have been the producers’ choice on countless hit records over the last two decades.
- Eight-channel optional A-D converter – Four additional A-D converter inputs allow eight channels of high-quality conversion, with a dynamic range of 122dB and jitter performance below 250 picoseconds.
- Selectable impedance – Ideal for mic matching or extended microphone creativity. Settings include the ‘Vintage ISA110’ setting, providing the original Focusrite signature sound.
- Four front panel instrument inputs – Instant access on the front fascia – no separate DI box required.
- Dedicated analogue insert points – Switchable insert points are featured on every channel, allowing routing (between pre-amp and output) through additional external processing.
- Variable high pass Focusrite filter – Provided on every channel, this is the same filter as featured on the original ISA428.
- Accurate LED meters for every channel – Clear metering designed to catch even the fastest and most elusive of transients.
The ISA428 MkII is expected to be available worldwide in late 2010.