Note: this post is from 2009, outbound links may be broken.
Image-Line releases FL Studio 9
Image-Line has released FL Studio 9, a complete software music production environment, representing the culmination of more than 10 years of sustained & focused development.
FL Studio is a full-featured, open architecture, music production environment capable of audio recording, composing, sequencing and mixing, for the creation of professional quality music. The FL Studio philosophy is creative freedom:
Free your audio – Instruments can be routed to any mixer track. Each mixer track can receive audio from any number of instruments, any number of other mixer tracks and a soundcard input. Further, mixer track outputs allow sending audio to any other mixer track and a soundcard output.
Free your mind – Choose your preferred workflow, compose using the step-sequencer or piano roll. Create in pattern or track mode, then arrange your ideas in the free ‘palette’ Playlist. The Playlist presents timeline as a virtual ‘canvas’ where each Playlist track can simultaneously hold any number of score, audio and automation events. Now that’s freedom.
Key new features in FL Studio 9
- Revised Playlist with integrated ‘Play’ button, new Clip Track features incl. track naming, muting, clip grouping & icons.
- Mixer insert tracks 99 (increased from 64) and ‘Track Send’ switches now have a ‘Sidechaining‘ function for multi-input plugins. Multithreaded FX processing CPU option.
- Piano roll ‘Riff Machine’ automated sequence generator tool and ‘note grouping’ feature.
- Step sequencer now with integrated Play button for improved workflow.
- Multiple controller support, independent instrument channels can be simultaneously played by separate controllers.
- Volatile links allow hardware control of last touched GUI object. Improved linking options & functions.
- Multi-Core CPU improved multithreaded generator & multithreaded effects processing. Unleash the power of the latest generation multi-core processors.
- SimSynth Live, DrumSynth Live, DX-10, WASP and WASP XT are 5 synthesizers that are now included in FL Studio (not in Express) to broaden your musical palette
- Ogun (demo) & Autogun (free) additive metal simulation synthesizers. Autogun includes over 4 billion presets!
- Gross Beat real-time, audio-stream playback, pitch, position and volume manipulation effect (demo).
- Stereo Shaper Mid / Side stereo processing (free).
- Vocodex advanced vocoder (free with Producer Edition).
- Revised plugins include Fruity Limiter with sidechaining, Wavecandy new mastering meter modes Fruity Reeverb 2 Mid/Side processing. Edison & Slicex new export regions and noise reduction function.
- Loop recording Audio Clips are now muted instead of the associated Channel for improved workflow.
- Browser now provides access to Windows file-browser (right-click on files). File-name helper displays names past browser edge on mouse-over. The Plugin Database shows plugins by category. Dragging plugin presets onto Mixer insert tracks links the plugin to that track.
- Wrapper completely revised for improved compatibility inc., multi-input/output plugins & ‘aligned tick lengths’.
- Time log in project settings shows time spent working on a project. Time is money, now you can count it!
- Over 370 additions, changes & bugfixes, details here.
FL Studio is available for Windows PC in several versions, starting at $49 USD for to Express version up to $299 USD for Signature Bundle download (previously XXL). A fully functional demo version is available for download (saving of projects disabled).
New Image-Line customers can get 10% discount on their entire first order of $90 or more with this promo link.
More information: Image-Line