Note: this post is from 2009, outbound links may be broken.
Kenaxis Creative releases Kenaxis v3.1
Kenaxis Creative has released version 3.1 of Kenaxis, software that transforms the laptop into a powerful and highly adaptable musical instrument.
The release of Kenaxis 3.1 marks the tenth year of Kenaxis development, continuous design improvements that Smulovitz credits to his ongoing consultation with leading artists in the electronic music field. This particular update adds a time-stretching feature known as an FFT Phase Vocoder that will appeal to musicians seeking more organic and analog-sounding textures. The second addition is the introduction of OSC (Open Sound Control) compatibility that will allow musicians to control the laptop with familiar devices like the iPhone, iPod touch or Nintendo Wii remote.
Kenaxis v3.1 key features
- Intuitive Performance Interface: 6 loop players, mixer and master mixer. Clear, compact display of all parameters allows the musician to monitor and manipulate every aspect of the performance.
- Powerful Tools: pitch modulation, delay, granular synthesis, convolution, analog synthesis, 12 band parametric EQs, automated envelopes and filters, random file players and VST support – allows for sonic possibilities not possible with hardware components, at a fraction of the cost.
- Multiple Audio Sources: Drag and drop sound files, synthesize sounds or capture live sound on the fly.
- OSC and MIDI compatible: Faster and with higher resolution than MIDI, OSC (Open Sound Control) allows the musician to ‘play’ Kenaxis with the iPod, iPod Touch, Wii controller, Lemur and other OSC devices and software.
- FFT Phase Vocoder: An organic and more analog-sounding time-stretching alternative. Pinpoint sounds in the spectrum analysis tool to stretch, freeze and manipulate.
Kenaxis is available for Windows PC and Mac OSX for $135 USD, or as part of the Kenaxis Bundle for $185 USD (includes Kenaxis, Kenaxis Surround and Kenaxis Visualizer).