Note: this post is from 2009, outbound links may be broken.
Mackie launches Onyx-i Series FireWire Recording Mixers
Mackie has announced the launch of its Onyx-i Series FireWire Recording Mixers, delivering premium analog features, tremendous flexibility and built-in 24-bit/96kHz FireWire I/O.
Onyx-i FireWire mixers can be used with all major DAWs, and is qualified by Mackie for use with Pro Tools® M-Powered™ 8*, offering those users a host of new hardware options.
“There are real benefits when using an analog mixer as a front end to your favorite DAW,” said James Woodburn, Mackie product manager. “Those who have been intimidated by digital recording will love the familiar layout and feel of a mixer. Those who are already into it will enjoy increased flexibility and speed.” Woodburn concludes, “Onyx-i mixers are the ideal combination of interface and mixer for anybody who needs the best of both worlds…simply put, it’s a better way to record.”
Onyx-i Series features
- 8-channel premium analog mixer with integrated 24-bit/96kHz FireWire I/O
- Qualified by Mackie for use will all major DAWs, including:
- Pro Tools® M-Powered™ 8
- Ableton® Live
- 3 Onyx boutique-quality mic preamps
- 3-band Perkins EQ with sweepable mids on mic/line channels
- 3-band Perkins EQ on stereo line channels
- Hybrid mono/stereo channel with 4-band Perkins EQ with sweepable mids
- Flexible FireWire routing, including aux sends and pre/post EQ assignment for all channels
- Stereo playback from DAW, returned to control room or into channel for integration into mix
- 2 aux sends with pre/post assignment
- Built-in DI on first two channels for direct connection of guitars, bass, etc.
- Individual 48V phantom power switches on all mic inputs
- Talkback section with built in mic and flexible routing
- "Planet Earth" switching power supply for worldwide use
- Optional rack kit available
The Mackie Onyx-i Series (820i, 1220i, 1620i and 1640i) will be available globally in September 2009.
* The Onyx-i Series Mixers are qualified by Mackie for use with Pro Tools® M-Powered™ 8. Mackie will release a driver (via www.mackie.com) together with full details of how to use the Onyx-i series with Pro Tools M-Powered 8 in the coming weeks.