Odo Synths has released Dream 64, a free synthesizer instrument for Windows.
Dream 64 is not an sid emulator just a plugin that can recreate sounds that are used in chip-music
Its inspired on the SID chip from the old but good commodore c64 Of course with some extra features for the fun
Dream 64 features
- 5 Sequencers with 8 steps; All sequencers have a start and end loop but start always at step one.
- Every sequencer has its own BPM rate or all have one Free Rate (manual).
- 1 Wavetable sequencer with audio on/off (gate effect).
- 2 Arp sequencer notes from C to C3 and one C4 note.
- 3 Extra octave sequencer.
- 4 Ring modulation sequencer notes from C to C3 and one C4 note.
- 5 Filter sequencer.
- Oscillator with 4 waveforms and ring modulation mode.
- Waves are saw triangle pulse noise. The noise is very special it can be pitched by key or fixed. Fixed is nice for percussion effects. Also you can pitch it on the GUI. Octaves from -3 to 2.
- Ring modulation oscillator notes from C to C3 and one C4 note.
- 2 LFOs with 21 waveforms BPM rates and free (manual).
- The LFOs can start at gate/free/first (first=host sync/Start when you hit play).
- Destinations of the LFOs are pitch/pulse/ring osc and Filter.
- 2 modulation envelopes (with BPM re-trigger).
- Destinations Pitch/pulse/ring modulation.
- Filter Envelope can be switched to the filter sequencer.
- Filters lowpass/hipass/bandpass/low and hipass/band and hipass/band and lowpass.
- Random for most of the controls.
- Rest most of the controls.
- Double click is reset for most of the controls.
- An extra nice feature a BPM MIDI arp. It’s nice in combination with the sequencers when the MIDI arp is set on low BPM rate (look at the presets with the name MIDI ARP xxxx. There’s also a free (manual rate) for the MIDI arp, but if the free rate to high you only hear the first step of the sequencers.
- Total of 109 presets so even if you don’t understand the plugin it’s useful.
The Dream 64 plug-in for Windows (VST) is a free download.
More information: Odo Synths