Platinumears releases 5ORCERY, free meta-multiband compressor
Platinumears has released 5ORCERY, a free multi-band compression effect plug-in for Windows.
The traditional way to build a multi-band compressor is to split the signal into the required number of bands (five in this case) using cross-over filters, then run each band- through a separate compressor before mixing them back together again. This approach tends to cause phase problems around the cross-over frequencies, requiring sophisticated filter designs to minimize these effects.
5ORCERY takes a different approach: the signal is still split into five separate bands using cross-over filters, and these feed the side-chains of five separate compressors. But the filtered signals are not mixed back together again: instead the gain modulation signals from all five compressors are matrixed into modulation signals for 4 dynamic shelving filters plus a gain stage.
- Transparent and easy to use multi-band compression.
- Dynamic EQ topology to reduce phase artifacts.
- Five FL4TT3RY 2 compressors, with band-limited side-chains.
- External side-chain inputs (switchable per band).
- Intuitive “solo in place” function for each band.
- Optional soft clipping keeps your peaks below 0dBFS.
- Flexible Gain / Gain Reduction meters with switchable range.
- Zero latency.
5ORCERY for Windows (VST) is available as freeware.