Rock Hardburns has released Dulcimator 2, a free hammered dulcimer emulation for Windows.
It’s a delay line type synth that has been specifically structured to emulate the hammered dulcimer, but it does OK with few other simpler string instruments. It’s based around a buffer that is seeded with an impulse, and then filtered once every period.
Dulcimator 2 features
- Buffer input waveforms RND (noise), SQR and SAW.
- Prefilter of buffer, can be mapped to velocity.
- Damp for cut off frequency of the playback filter, damping factor can be adjusted based on the note pitch (Key).
- 3 peak/notch filters: 100Hz, 200Hz and 300Hz, useful for simulating body resonance.
- Detune for increasing the distance between two auxiliary playback pointers. This simulates having three strings instead of one, which is important for that sparkly dulcimer sound.
- Envelope, chorus and volume controls.
Dulcimator 2 is available to download as a freeware VST instrument for Windows PC.