Note: this post is from 2009, outbound links may be broken.
Samson debuts Zoom R16
Samson has announced the Zoom R16, a portable 16-track recorder, audio interface and controller.
Zoom once again revolutionizes digital recording with the first digital recorder with 16-track playback and 8-track simultaneous recording utilizing Secure Digital (SD) memory. The R16 is three production tools in one device: a multi-track recorder, an audio interface and a control surface, providing all the tools necessary to create studio-quality recordings. Additionally, the R16 runs on only 6 AA batteries for the ultimate in multi-track portability.
With the R16, recording artists, songwriters, sound engineers and film sound professionals alike can record up to 32 GBs on an SD card. The SD recording, while incredibly convenient for file transferring, also makes the R16 significantly lighter. SD recording also avoids the pitfalls of a potential crashing hard drive and allows for up to 100 track hours of recording using all 16 tracks.
Zoom R16 features
- Digital recorder with 16-track playback and 8-track simultaneous recording utilizing Secure Digital (SD) memory.
- 16/24-bit/44.1kHz linear PCM recording in WAV format.
- Built-in stereo condenser microphones.
- Includes 1GB SD card and supports cards up to 32GB SDHC.
- Allows simultaneous recording on up to 8 tracks.
- Battery operation for remote recording.
- USB power for audio interface and control surface operation.
- 8 mic inputs / 2 outputs (8 x 2).
- 8 combination XLR-1/4-inch inputs.
- High-definition 24-bit/96kHz recording capability using digital audio software.
- Built-in effects can be used as outboard effects as well.
- Hi-Z input for direct connection of guitar or bass.
- Includes preamp with phantom power on two channels.
- Mackie control emulation via USB for popular DAW software including Cubase, Logic, Digital Performer and more.
- Over 100 built-in studio effects coming from advanced DSP.
- Amazing guitar amp and effects models.
- Professional quality mastering effects including multi-band compressor, normalizer and more.
- Operates as USB storage device for quick data transfer.
- Connect two R16s via USB for synchronized operation and 16 tracks of simultaneous recording.
- Undo/Redo functions.
- Comes with Steinberg Cubase LE 4.
- Supports Windows XP/Vista, Mac operating systems.
The Zoom R16 is available for pre-order for $399 USD.
Visit Samson for more information.