Siegfried Kullmann’s SQ8Light VST (v0.8 alpha)
Siegfried Kullmann has released SQ8Light VST (v0.8 alpha), a software model of Ensoniq‘s classic 1980′s synth SQ80. The SQ80 features 3 digital wavetable oscillators for each of its 8 voices which are fed through analog 4-pole lowpass filters (-24dB gain) with resonance. Sound parameters can be modulated by 4 envelopes, 3 LFOs and several MIDI sources.
The SQ8L (“L” stands for “Light”) is the free demo version of the forthcoming SQ8X (“X” for “eXtended”) and has a few limitations:
- Polyphony limited to 8 voices
- Program change messages ignored
- Common MIDI controllers (Master Volume, Pan,…) by default have no effect and must be programmed as Modulators
- When used with a sequencer, the only sound the Host can save within the song file is the one in the edit buffer. The full version will store the entire library (which makes sense when program change messages are used)
- LFO humanization not implemented
- No Split/Layer to combine several sounds
- No internal sequencer (will not be implemented)
Make sure to read the readme.txt file that comes with SQ8L because it has essential information about its installation, the way SQ8L works, Known Problems and what will be in the commercial SQ8X version.