apeSoft has introduced iDensity, an iPad app that brings all the powerful Density/Pulsaret (Mac/Win standalone) Granular Synthesis tools to the world’s most popular tablet.
iDensity is a new real-time software designed for asynchronous sound file granulation, a genuine granular playground able to generate a wide range of usual and not so usual effects: time/pitch shifting, time/pitch jittering, intricate textures, grain fountain/pulverizer, recording and manipulation of buffers, complex scrub pad exploration, dynamic envelope shape and many more. iDensity for iPad will give you all the basic and advanced tools you need to manipulate sound in subtle and surprising ways. All these features are packed in an optimized, user-friendly, visually sharp interface that is easy to access when fast-improvising live, composing in a studio, or sound designing at home and on the go! You will have the power, freedom, and flexibility to create like never before – on your iPad! iDensity allows you to record audio directly with your iPad mic and load up to nine built-in sound sample or add your own WAV, AIFF, CAF, MP3, M4A or MP3 files via iTunes.
With iDensity it is possible to record the stereo output (of granulation) into the documents folder while scrubbing in the wavepad or moving granulation parameters in real-time. The mixdown/audio results can then be syncronized with/in iTunes.
- Nine built-in sound samples.
- Record audio directly with iPad mic.
- Add WAV, AIFF, CAF, MP3, M4A or MP3 files via iTunes.
- Capture audio output- up to eight shapes for the grain envelope.
- Record the granulation audio output.
- WavePad zoom selection- wavePad scrub.
- WavePad peak normalize- etc.
iDenisty for iPad will be available from the iTunes App Store soon.
More information: iDensity
Alessandro Petrolati has released Density, a granular synthesis application for Windows and Mac.
The first Density release, dates back to 2001, was developed for Csound language, to follow the GSC release was based on GSC4 of Eugenio Giordani. GSC4 (Granular Synthesis for Csound) was the first patch for granular synthesis on Csound to implement the model proposed by Barry Truax.
The current Density implementation, follow a dynamic generation of the grains, rather than a fixed number of “voices” (static). The maximum density achievable, depends only on the actual CPU power.
- 8 granular streams simultaneously.
- Loading up to 12 sound-files (aiff,wav) for each stream (96 tot.).
- Dynamic scrub pad, wrap-around selection, crop, normalize draw, etc….
- Scrub quantize: zero-crossing, bpm, phase and samples.
- Multi sounds buffer windows (resizable), fine scanning explorations.
- Rapid change sndfile, just jumping between the windows.
- Envelope/windowing menage up to 12 shape prototypes.
- Envelope/windowing loading and menage 12 sound-files (aiff,wav).
- Dynamic buffer load/save, normalize, crop, resize length etc…
- Main mixer, 8 channels, 1 master, solo/mute and VST slots.
- Quick-record export master channel, progressive autoname file or directory and re-sampling and quantize outfile.
- Trigger granular streams: foreground, sync, all.
- VST support: one for each channel + one for the master.
- DSP settings and infos report on the statusbar.
- Snapshots memory allocation up to 24 for each stream and 24 for the main mixer.
- Fast snapshots presets for store/recall.
- Simultaneous (streams and main) transition (interpolation), between two snapshots in a given time.
- Clients menage: include/exclude widgets from transitions.
- Four table to draw transitions curves.
- Micro-pad interpolating between four snaps.
- HV_pad (i.e. hyper vectorial pad), combines 9 snapshots (multi dimensional) and provide auto-explore engine (spiral, dunk, reflects).
- MIDI Input mapping: learn/manual functions, range map/rescale, exponential curve.
- MIDI Output sync: enable/disable, continuously/mouse up send.
- Shorts key for voices selection, dragging sliders etc…
- Windows float/no float mode.
- Fully managing the project, save/save as and load.
- Drag and drop audio files (streams and windowing) and drag and drop project folder (main).
- Oscilloscope and spectralscope tools.
Density is available to purchase for Windows and Mac, priced at 25 EUR.
More information: Alessandro Petrolati / Density