Eric Beam has released RCA/A-iron Line EQ, a collection of programs for Nebula by Acustica Audio featuring the vintage RCA 56E two-channel passive line equalizer and “American Iron” preamp gain stage of the API 312.
RCA/A-iron Line EQ features
- Vintage stereo passive program line EQ + Classic American 312 preamp gain stage.
- One knob program “tilt” style EQ.
- Captured via API conversion @ 24/96 & 24/44100 (both 96k & 44100 programs available).
- Ideal for adding highend sheen or de-mudding a lowend heavy mix.
The RCA/A-iron Line EQ for Nebula is available to purchase for $10 USD.
More information: Eric Beam
Posted in news
on Nov 07, 2010
Renoise, the multi-platform digital audio workstation software, was updated to version 2.6.
It’s official. We are pleased to announce that Renoise 2.6 is ready for production. Over three months of community driven beta testing has put the software through the ringer. User feedback has resulted in our most innovative release to date. Rock solid stable, as usual.
Changes in Renoise v2.6
- Script everything using a truly open API: Lua is a light-weight programming language, which together with the Renoise API allows you to build add-ons quickly and easily. Lua scripting, introduced as part of the beta cycle in July, has already resulted in a plethora of new tools, as well as native support for the following hardware: AlphaTrack, BCF-2000, BCR-2000, KONTROL49, FaderPort, microKONTROL, nanoKONTROL, Launchpad, Remote SL-MKII, Nocturn, Monome, Ohm64, iPad via TouchOSC.
- Sample Autoseek: Samples have a new setting, “Autoseek”, which will, when enabled, make them behave like a traditional audio channel. You can start playing back the song at any position, and the sample will automatically seek to the current position in the song without having to be triggered.
- Open Sound Control (OSC) Server Support.
- Duplex – MIDI/OSC controller framework.
- DSSI Support on Linux, 64-bit Linux Version.
- Support for CAF, AIFC, SND and AU Files.
- Linux & Mac OSX Performance Tweaks.
- Minor usability and functionality refinements galore!
- The full scoop, here: http://www.renoise.com/about/what-s-new-2-6/
Renoise is available to purchase for Linux, Mac, and Windows, priced at 58 EUR excl. VAT.
More information: Renoise
Sonimus has released version 1.1 of SonEQ, a free equalizer effect plug-in modeled from two analog equalizers.
Sonimus SonEQ – modeled after the Pulteq EQP and API 550
Changes in SonEQ v1.1
- New GUI.
- Mac AU / VST versions added.
- Fixed CPU usage problem on some processors.
- Band gain now shows dB instead of Hz.
- The “VU Meter” is softer, and some host-specific bugs were fixed.
- Mono tracks now supported.
- Includes two new high quality filters: High-Pass and Low-Pass.
- Fixed problems with noise when moving some knobs.
- Many minor bugs fixed.
SonEQ is available to download as a freeware effect plug-in for PC and Mac (VST/AU).
More information: Sonimus
Elysia has released the xpressor 500, an extremely versatile stereo compressor available in API’s 500 series format.
Its discrete audio path running in constant class-A mode provides a superior audio quality which combines a clear and open sound with a good lot of punch. With its many unique features taken from our flagship products, the xpressor 500 shines in many different applications: stereo buss compression, processing single signals, approaching dynamics in creative ways …
xpressor 500 features
- Discrete Class-A Topology — As a true elysia specialty, the audio path of the xpressor 500 is completely based on discrete circuitry and does not use any integrated circuits at all.
- Auto Fast — Inspired by its big brothers: the switchable semi automation for a perfect attack on the basis of the value set by the user.
- Log Release — This alternative characteristic of the release curve follows a logarithmic course instead of the standard linear progress and results in a very gentle kind of compression.
- Negative Ratios — The characteristic curve bends and goes back down! Heavy pumping, backward sounds, etc. – perfect for very cool compression effects.
- Parallel Compression — Available directly on the unit: the direct and the compressed signal can be blended in any desired relation by simply turning the mix controller.
- Sidechain Filter — A tunable low cut filter in the sidechain of the xpressor 500 avoids overcompression and pumping when there is a lot of low end energy in the mix.
- Gain Reduction Limiter — This novel limiter is not placed in the audio path as usually, but restricts the control voltage of the compressor instead.
- Warm Mode — The xpressor 500 offers a second switchable sound flavor by altering its frequency spectrum, harmonics and transient response.
- Analog Dynamic LED Meter — The gain reduction meter modulates its LEDs in their brightness in order to show the action of the compressor in an analog way: fast and with smooth transitions.
- Made in Germany — High grade components, solid aluminum knobs.
The xpressor 500 is now available to purchase for for $975 USD / 649 EUR (excl. VAT).
More information: Elysia / xpressor 500
Alta Moda Audio has announced the Hippo, a high performance bus compressor designed for the API™ 500-series compatible rack systems.
The Hippo is based on the same VCA topology made popular in highly successful recording consoles of the 1980′s, but includes many modern features not found on typical bus compressors.
- Extended attack, release and ratio settings for wider control ranges. Rotary switches allow for simple recalls of settings. Selected controls are continuously-variable for enhanced resolution and versatility.
- High Pass Filter on side chain for better control of bass-heavy material.
- Warmth control adds rich harmonic distortion to fatten tracks.
- Channel linking options allow for better control of stereo imaging, including the ability to run the channel detectors independently of one another (Dual mode).
- Dual, 20-segment gain-reduction meters monitor both detectors with 1dB resolution.
- Blend control allows varying the output between dry and compressed signal for more subtle compression effects.
- Hard-wire relay bypass.
The Hippo is now available to purchase for a special pre-order price of $1,175 USD (first 20 units sold only, US domestic only; regular price $1,295 USD).
More information: Alta Moda Audio / Hippo
Phoenixinflight has released 10EQ, a free graphic equalizer effect plug-in for Windows.
10EQ is a VST plugin based on the API 560 Graphic Equalizer. Originally developed in the 60′s, it was used in many API consoles in the 70′s and 80′s.
Just like its hardware counterpart, 10EQ is a very versatile tool and can be used for many mixing and mastering purposes. It features 10 bands of equalization with a special “Proportional Q” design, which automatically narrows or widens the filter bandwidth. The CPU usage of the plugin is very low, so it can be used in large quantities at the same time. 10EQ contains 20 presets, which provide useful starting values for further adjustments.
10EQ Graphic Equalizer features
- 10 EQ bands: 16 kHz/8 kHz/4 kHz/2 kHz/1 kHz/500 Hz/250 Hz/125 Hz/63 Hz/31 Hz.
- Every band has a boost/cut range of 12 dB.
- Instead of constant Q values, the filter bandwidth widens at lower boost/cut levels and narrows at higher settings.
- Low CPU usage.
- 20 presets included.
10EQ is available to download as a freeware VST effect plug-in for Windows PC.
More information: Phoenixinflight / 10EQ Graphic Equalizer