Rob Papen has announced that BLUE II, the successor to the popular BLUE synthesizer instrument for Windows and Mac, will be released on March 10th, 2014.
Blue reflected Rob Papen’s cutting-edge, creative, and musical approach towards developing virtual instruments by first delivering FM and subtractive synthesis, then duly adding Phase Distortion and wave shaping synthesis into the highly creative mix to create one seriously creative combination. Rob Papen himself called it ‘Crossfusion synthesis’ since it covered so much musical ground so effectively.
Blue II remains true to that ethos with even more sound dimensions and features to its extended name, starting with six oscillators beating at its musically creative heart. These can be connected in various ways, together with two analogue-style modelled stereo filters with 27 different filter types, an enormous range of processing and modulation options, sequencer, and an incredibly powerful arpeggiator.
BLUE II will cost 149 EUR / $179 USD. The original BLUE synthesizer is still available at the reduced price of 79 EUR / $99 USD until March 10th.
An upgrade to BLUE II will be offered at a discounted price (44 EUR / $49 USD) upon release. More details here.
More information: Rob Papen
iZotope has released version 1.01 of its BreakTweaker “future beat machine” for Windows and Mac.
Designed by BT and developed by iZotope, BreakTweaker is not just a drum machine: it’s a drum sculpting and beat sequencing environment that blurs the line between rhythm and melody.
Give your beats an ever-evolving depth that gets better the longer they play. Use rhythmic slicing to drive everything from pitched melodic lines to sweeping rhythmic overtures. Top it all off with the best drum sample library in existence, curated by BT, iZotope, and top producers today.
Changes in BreakTweaker v1.01
- Enhancement: Tab key now switches between Sequencer and Generator view.
- Enhancement: Preset Browser and Sample Browser have been increased in size for better user experience.
- Enhancement: Trackpad scrolling within the Preset Browser and Sample Browser is now faster.
- Enhancement: Modulation knob has been optimized for better CPU performance.
- Enhancement: Distortions have been optimized for better CPU performance.
- Fix: Addressed an issue with Sample & Hold mode in the LFO.
- Fix: Addressed an issue with AAX host timing.
- Fix: Addressed an issue where an LFO applied to a Wavetable or Pitch could cause a crash.
BreakTweaker is available to purchase for $249 USD.
More information: iZotope / BreakTweaker
Posted in news
on Mar 05, 2014
WaveDNA has released version 1.3.2 of its Liquid Rhythm and Liquid Rhythm Intro beat making software.
Liquid Rhythm now allows drag and drop of MIDI to your DAW or desktop.
The latest update includes a number of bug fixes and improvements, and the new ability to drag and drop MIDI arrangements out of Liquid Rhythm and either into any MIDI-capable DAW or onto the desktop. WaveDNA is also improving MIDI scripting support for the Ableton Push controller within the Liquid Rhythm MaxForLive bridge. The release features a beta version of that implementation.
Note: To use the MaxForLive Clips plugin in Ableton Live 9, update you Max to version 6.1.6 before installing Liquid Rhythm (Max must be installed first).
Changes in Liquid Rhythm v1.3.2
- New features:
- Drag & Drop MIDI from Liquid Rhythm (standalone or plugin-VST/AU/RTAS) into your favourite Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) (Click and drag on the dotted square in the transport. Right-click on it to adjust preferences for the drag and drop).
- Choose a BeatForm directly using dropdown menus for each beat under the dials in the BeatForm Tumbler.
- Improvements and updates:
- Liquid Rhythm’s MaxForLive Clips patch has been redone to show a button that opens up the main window.
- Ability to audition the individual elements of a kit when right clicked on the kit within the library.
- Standalone mode has a new option, that when moving the loop region, confines the playhead to it.
- Consolidated installer for all plugin modes. (Note: In the installer for Mac, the MaxForLive Clips plugin indicates that it’s 0 bytes in size. This is normal.)
- Silent instruments (instruments without samples) will now send MIDI notes in plugin and standalone mode. (Useful for connecting another MIDI device to Liquid Rhythm to use as a controller.)
- Mute/Solo changes in an Ableton Live drum rack are now automatically updated in Liquid Rhythm.
- Performance improvements when selecting regions in the arranger.
- Walkthrough would sometimes crash when attempting to access a part of the Liquid Rhythm window that was not visible.
- Changing the colour of multiple tracks and pressing undo wouldn’t revert the colour changes.
- BeatForm Mute toggle on Medium and Weak wouldn’t toggle.
- When selecting a clip in Live, the first instrument track in Liquid Rhythm wouldn’t be selected by default; instead it would have the ‘focused region’ indicator, with some other track selected.
- Mouse Wheel now consistently scrolls horizontally across the molecule tools panel. If you need to scroll vertically in a sub-panel, hold down Alt or Option key with the mouse wheel.
- On some setups, the audio engine would sometimes cause an error on startup (it would access memory when it wasn’t ready).
- MIDI Export Wizard and Audio Export Wizard would sometimes appear behind the application, and appear like the system is hung. Now forcing it to appear in front.
- Downloading a new kit with standalone or plugin would cause a crash when simultaneously using the library.
- If the ‘welcome to Liquid Rhythm’ window was closed, the menu bars would remain disabled in MaxForLive Liquid Clips mode.
- Moving the loop region very quickly in clip mode would cause the loop region to grow.
- Bug in destructive record fixed, where recording in destructive mode and changing in the arranger with the mouse at the same time would cause a crash.
- BeatWeaver would disable in note edit mode when selecting a note even though there is region focus.
- Windows XP now installs Liquid Rhythm MaxForLive mode automatically.
- Accent Modifier note highlights would sometimes get stuck on-screen if you press the escape key.
- BarForm Family in-place dropdown menu in the arranger wasn’t working.
- Beta features:
- Continuing improvements to the Push.
- Visual display of the active locations in the track.
- Added support for the BeatForm Tumblers.
- Users can now select the instruments to edit by switching to ‘Ableton control mode’ on the Push and tapping the appropriate instrument button on the drum pads (bottom left quadrant of Push buttons), and then switching back to ‘User mode’.
- Ability to enter ‘Ableton control mode’ without having to deactivate ‘User mode’ first.
- Command Dialer allows customizing the buttons on the Arrange page.
- Various performance and stability improvements.
Liquid Rhythm for Windows and Mac is available to purchase for $129 USD; Liquid Rhythm Intro is $49 USD.
More information: WaveDNA
KV331 Audio has announced the release of its SynthMaster Player and SynthMaster Player Free synthesizer instruments for Windows and Mac.
SynthMaster Player is a simplified version of SynthMaster targeted at musicians who use presets rather than create their own during music production.
SynthMaster Player features
- Includes 600 presets selected from SynthMaster’s factory library.
- Allows editing of 12 easy parameters, assigned by the sound designer for each preset.
- Turn on/off effects assigned by the sound designer for each preset.
- Purchase and use preset banks released by KV331 Audio.
SynthMaster Player is for Windows and Mac (VST/AU/RTAS, AAX support coming soon) is available to purchase for the introductory price of $19 USD until April 1st, 2014 (regular $29 USD). SynthMaster Player Free comes with 150 presets selected from SynthMaster’s factory library. The free player is available for download at KV331 Audio.
More information: KV331 Audio
Glitchmachines has released version 1.1 of Polygon, a sampler plugin designed to facilitate the creation of stunning composite sound effects.
Co-developed by Ivo Ivanov and Thomas Hennebert, Polygon was conceived from the ground up with unconventional attributes and a fast, forward-thinking workflow.
Layering samples is only the beginning. Polygon’s unique granular mode will bend your samples into fresh material while its clean and logical interface, extensive modulation options and distinctive sonic fingerprint make it an invaluable tool for creative sound design.
Changes in Polygon v1.1
- New features:
- new glide controls for each sampler as well as the sub oscillator + master glide offset.
- new solo function for each sampler and the sub oscillator.
- the effects processors can now be chained.
- tooltips showing the current values of knobs/sliders upon mouse hover.
- new waveform display with adaptive zooming to the current sample focus.
- you can now drag & drop samples from the Finder/Explorer to the sample slots.
- save a preset with copies of the samples used in a special folder for preset portability.
- new option in the menu for opening the Finder/Explorer at the presets folder location.
- UI refinements with improved contrast and new knob design.
- knobs now have a distinct indicator if their parameters are targeted by a modulator.
- new preset menu using columns for easier navigation.
- new factory presets by Subjex.
- Performance enhancements:
- numerous refinements to reduce CPU load.
- HQ mode: when de-activated can further reduce CPU load.
- fixed : some parameters would not update properly at sample rates higher than 44.1kHz.
- fixed : on preset change the sample folders paths (for file navigation using the arrows) would not update properly.
- fixed : loop mode broken if focus set to 100%.
- fixed : buttons and menus would capture the “Enter” key.
- fixed : the stutter effect could get stuck looping a short click.
- fixed : sample reverse misbehavior.
Polygon for Windows and Mac (VST/AU) is available to purchase for $49 USD.
More information: Glitchmachines / Polygon
Waves has launched MetaFilter, a filter effect plug-in in Native formats.
Designed around a multimode filter with extensive modulation options and powered by Waves’ Virtual Voltage technology, Waves MetaFilter has everything you need in a sound-shaping filter plugin. The versatile MetaFilter creative effects unit provides all the warmth, depth and fatness of classic analog filters, along with the modern control and endless flexibility distinctive of Waves tools.
MetaFilter lets you individually modulate the filter’s cutoff, resonance and delay time using three separate modulators – a 16-step sequencer, an LFO, and an envelope follower with a sidechaining option – making it easy to achieve effects such as filter sweeping, tremolo, auto wah, rhythmic gating, ducking, and hypnotic modulating delays with saturation buildups.
- Three separate modulators: 16-step sequencer, LFO, and envelope follower with sidechaining option.
- Fat analog sound quality.
- Intuitive MIDI Learn.
- Fully modulatable analog delay.
- Powered by Virtual Voltage technology.
- Endless sound-shaping possibilities.
The plug-in is available to purchase for Windows and Mac (VST/AU/RTAS/AAX), priced at the introductory price of $99 USD (regular $200 USD).
More information: Waves / MetaFilter
, Dom Kane
, instrument plugins
, Justin Harris
, Meat Katie
, Plugin Boutique
Posted in news
on Feb 28, 2014
Plugin Boutique has announced a flash sale on Z3TA+ 2, offering the virtual synthesizer instrument from Cakewalk at a 50% discount for a limited time. The sale also includes 45 presets by Dom Kane, Meat Katie, and Justin Harris.
The legendary waveshaping sound of Z3TA+ (zay’-ta) is back – and better than ever. New filters, modulatable waveshapers, flexible effects, expressive control and a gorgeous new interface make Z3TA+ 2 one seriously powerful synth.
It’s not often that a soft synth can be called a classic, but in the case of Z3TA+ it’s definitely appropriate. Used on countless tracks over the past decade, Z3TA+’s distinctive sound has been a staple of electronic artists the world over.
Z3TA+ 2 for Windows and Mac (VST/AU) is 50% off at Plugin Boutique until March 3rd, 2014.
More information: Plugin Boutique / Z3TA+ 2
Cableguys has updated all of its instrument and effect plug-ins, including Beat Edition and Computer Music editions.
The update includes a new version of the Curve 2 synthesizer instrument.
All our plugins now feature multi-selection of waveform points via ALT-click, to move, scale, mirror or delete multiple points at once — for even more comfortable and faster waveform editing.
And we’ve updated all of them to the latest Cableguys codebase, bringing small bug fixes, a reduced CPU usage and smoother UI control.
The new versions are now available to download (demos also updated). PanCake 2 is a free download for Windows and Mac (VST/AU/RTAS).
More information: Cableguys