iZotope has announced RX 3 and RX 3 Advanced, a new version of the audio repair toolkit for Windows and Mac.
With the new RX 3, iZotope brings you the most robust and best-sounding audio repair toolkit on the market.
With cutting-edge tools like Dereverb and a real-time Dialogue Denoiser, plus enhanced workflows and a redesigned UI, RX 3 rescues troubled audio with unprecedented power and precision.
RX 3 features
- Work up to six times faster thanks to under-the-hood processing enhancements and a redesigned user interface.
- Remove or reduce reverb from vocals, instruments and more using the revolutionary Dereverb module in RX 3 Advanced.
- Clean up dialogue on the fly with RX 3 Advanced’s all-new Dialogue Denoiser—the new audio standard for real-time dialogue treatment.
- Use both your eyes and your ears to identify and fix problems within a spectral audio editor.
- Never lose an edit again with the unlimited Undo history, saved automatically with audio data into the new RX document format.
RX 3 and RX 3 Advanced are scheduled for release in September, 2013.
More information: iZotope / RX 3
Sony Creative Software has announced upgrades for its Sound Forge Pro and SpectraLayers Pro audio editing software.
Sound Forge Pro is the application of choice for a generation of editors, comprising a solid platform with an array of options that have enjoyed a continuous evolution since the birth of audio recording on the PC. The new edition introduces more efficient recording and processing workflows and new signal and effects processing plug-ins for crafting broadcast-ready audio masters. Upgrading the revolutionary editing application, SpectraLayers Pro 2 stands at the forefront of the audio spectrum editing movement. Working with audio in the spectral realm is now even quicker and easier, with a faster processing engine and a host of new tools, methodologies and user interface improvements.
While Sound Forge Pro 11 and SpectraLayers Pro 2 are standalone applications, both are now configured to work seamlessly with each other, providing a comprehensive editing environment that combines deep waveform and spectrum editing capabilities.
“Sound Forge Pro 11 and SpectraLayers Pro 2 have arrived together in the form of a perfect pair, unified with systems for easy audio data transfer capabilities, resulting in a truly integrated solution for working freely across the waveform and spectral paradigms,” said Dave Chaimson, vice president of global marketing for Sony Creative Software. “Sound Forge Pro users can now enjoy a very straightforward punch-and-roll recording process, as well as a host of new plug-ins that can be accessed and controlled directly in the workspace. Our legion of SpectraLayers Pro users will enjoy the new performance gains we’ve put under the hood while inventing fresh ways to implement the new sound shaping features on board.”
Changes in Sound Forge Pro 11
- One-Touch Recording: Sound Forge Pro 11 features a completely redesigned recording interface that keeps you anchored in the workspace at all times while you shape and monitor incoming audio, arm and record takes, review work, and prepare for the next pass.
- CALM (Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation Act) compliant metering: New metering features help you follow the new rules while maximizing the dynamic range potential of your audio.
- New Plug-in Chain Interface: Direct workspace access to every element of the plug-in processing environment.
- Includes iZotope® Nectar® Elements plug-in (a $129 value): High end voice processing plug-in with style presets in genres like rock, pop, folk, soul, and voiceover & dialogue.
- New Restore and Repair Tools by iZotope: New in this edition: Declipper, Denoiser, Declicker.
- New Waveform Display Options: More than just a simple strip that displays your exact location, this feature also serves as an excellent navigation and auditioning tool.
- Input Bus Effects: Set the mood for your talent by sweetening your source signal with plug-in effects.
- Broadcast Wave File Format Enhancements: Supports BEXT BWF version 2.0, iXML, and includes autofill and verification options as well as automatic repair of BWF data.
Changes in SpectraLayers Pro 2
- Significantly Enhanced Performance: Enjoy faster spectral graph explorations in any scenario.
- Spectral Casting / Molding: Cast the frequency signature of one layer over that of another to derive a derivative layer that can be phase-inverted to create free spectral space for hard-to-distinguish sounds to occupy in a mix. Try a spectral alternative to typical side-chain/ducking processes, or tap this feature’s creative potential for incredible sound design possibilities.
- Shape Tool: Perfect for extracting drum sounds, simply point at a shape on the spectral graph and click to pull your hits over to a target layer.
- Frequency Range Display Options: Display frequency ranges plotted on your choice of logarithmic scales.
- One-Click Noise Extraction: A new one-click command executes your custom noiseprint over the target layer’s entire spectral expanse.
- Looping: Define a time range and engage looped playback to audition full-spectrum selections as well as frequency bandwidth-limited selections.
- New Resampling and Remixing Options: Freely define, route, and mix channels during the resampling process.
- Retina Ready: Peer deeper into the spectral graph while taking advantage of your Retina display equipped MacBook Pro.
Sound Forge Pro 11 for Windows costs MSRP $499.95 USD, SpectraLayers Pro 2 for Windows and Mac is MSRP $399.95 USD. Both are bundled in the Audio Master Suite package for MSRP $849.95 USD.
More information: Sony Creative Software
Steinberg has announced version 8.0.2 of WaveLab, an extensive maintenance update to the production environment for mastering, audio editing and restoration.
Version 8.0.2 resolves more than 35 issues related workspaces, plug-ins and editing. Also included are several enhancements, such as performance optimizations under 64-bit OS X.
This update now contains the official WaveLab documentation in all supported languages, such as English, German, French, Italian, Spanish and Japanese.
Changes in WaveLab 8.02
- Several optimizations under Mac OS X 64-bit have been included.
- The PDF manuals are now automatically installed into the WaveLab root directory for easy access.
- The new shortcut entry in the Help menu opens the PDF manual in the language specified (language preferences).
- The Record dialog now includes a “Stays on top” option.
- The Crystal Resampler plug-in now supports 24 kHz and 12 kHz sample rates.
- Various issues resolved. Details in the changelog.
This maintenance update is free of charge.
More information: Steinberg / WaveLab 8
The freeware Wavosaur audio editor for Windows has been updated to version 220.127.116.11.
Wavosaur is a cool free sound editor, audio editor, wav editor software for editing, processing and recording sounds, wav and mp3 files.
Wavosaur has all the features to edit audio (cut, copy, paste, etc.) produce music loops, analyze, record, batch convert.
Wavosaur supports VST plugins, ASIO driver, multichannel wav files, real time effect processing.
Changes in Wavosaur v18.104.22.168
- New VST Host
- VST is now compliant with 2.4 Steinberg sdk.
- VST Host lots of bugs fixed.
- Scan options added: VSti filter, sub directories, add VST to the current list.
- Suppression of items inside the VST list.
- New VST rack and list visualisation.
- Drag and drop between list and rack, and inside the rack.
- VSTi different icons between instruments and effects.
- Apply bug fixed.
- Batch processor bug fixed for VST Chain feature.
- Audio input
- New record menu.
- Hot plug support.
- buffer loses bug fixed.
- visual indication during recording: duration indication and record button blinking.
- Audio ouput
- hot plug of audio devices support.
- Volume dialog updated with purcentage display.
- more precise display for 30dB scale.
- 120dB scale added.
- Display options: thin, medium and large.
- Color change.
- Audio critical section added to improve stability.
- Buffer out block size up to 4096 samples.
- Cfg file format change (always editable in text editor like notepad).
- Auto update check added: this option could be deactivated in configuration dialog box.
- Aiff file bug fixed.
- DC remover selection bug fixed.
Wavosaur for Windows is available to download as freeware. Donations are welcome.
More information: Wavosaur
Michel Rouzic has released version 1.9 of Photosounder, a software application for turning images into sound.
Every sound you’ve ever heard can be represented as an image and all possible sounds can be made from an image. Only Photosounder truly allows you to transform any sound as an image and to create any possible sound from an image. It is the ultimate bridge between the graphical world and the audio world, bringing the full power of image editing to the service of creating and transforming sounds.
Photosounder is the first audio editor/synthesizer to have an entirely image-based approach to sound creation and editing. Thanks to its powerful and omnipotent synthesis algorithms, it is capable of creating any sound possible. Powerful built-in image editing tools, some yet unknown to general image editing programs, are specifically tailored to enable you to create and edit sounds with ease in ways and with results simply impossible with other programs.
Changes in Photosounder v1.9
- Live Synthesis mode added, it makes any change to the image heard instantly with no interruption.
- Cursor-controlled playback.
- Option to dump/save live synthesis output to an audio file.
- Image rotation has been changed to make the image keep the same dimensions, can be applied on individual layers in multi-layer images.
- Layers and groups of layers can be disabled.
- Fixed layer list in menu in the Mac version to display more than just the names of the layers.
- Various bug fixes, improvements and optimisations.
Photosounder for Windows and Mac is available to purchase for $175 USD (full license) / $59 USD (non-commercial use).
The full license version of Photosounder is currently on sale at MacUpdate for only $49.99 USD (71% off).
More information: Photosounder