Ilya Efimov has introduced the Contrabass Balalaika, a new “Russian Folk Series” sample library for Native Instruments Kontakt.
This instrument has a special place in the balalaika family. The largest in size, Contrabass produces the lowest, most powerful dynamics and sound – equivalent to an upright bass. As with all balalaikas, It has three strings, tuned E-A-D. Main Range: E (bass-octave)-A (treble octave). The notation in the bass clef is written an octave higher than its actual sound.
The contrabass balalaika is played with a large leather pick, creating a softer, thicker, clearer sound. The technique for playing the contrabass balalaika has been developed and perfected in recent times; with solo performances attracting wide attention among artists as well as teachers and students.
Contrabass Balalaika features
- 465 samples, 44,1 Hz 24 bit, stereo.
- 10 velocity layers for each note Round-Robin.
- Various articulations.
- Speed and realistic dynamic tremolo control.
- Repetition keys.
The library is available to purchase for 29 EUR.
More information: Ilyia Efimov / Contrabass Balalaika
Samplephonics has announced its Ethnic Folklore sample library containing a selection of beautifully played ethnic string loops and samples from instruments including a Dulcimer, Oud, Balalaika, Bouzouki and Guitar.
The sounds have been captured using a custom vintage Neumann U87 for utmost clarity and played by renowned musician Steven Byrd. A range of styles have been incorporated, ranging from traditional folk melodies to more gritty rock infused loops.
Perfect for film composers and sampling enthusiasts alike, the sounds can be used as full construction kits to build a track around, or individually chopped up and processed for more experimental sounds.
The sounds are available to download in 24 Bit wav format, 100% royalty free and ready to use in music, library or production tracks. Inject real class and flavour into your music with this exquisite collection of instrument loops and samples.
The sample library costs £29.70 GBP.
More information: Samplephonics / Ethnic Folklore
Precisionsound has announced the release of Russian Balalaika, a very detailed sampled Balalaika for NI Kontakt, EXS24, HALion and SoundFont.
The recording was made in the “Usachevsky” studio at the University of Utah, and the instrument was played by Igor Iachimciuc and edited by Lars Westin, KSP script programming was made by Iain Morland.
Russian Balalaika features
- 1,250 24bit mono WAV files of a Russian 3 stringed (2 E strings and 1 A string) Balalaika.
- Articulations recorded separately for both the E and A string: Up, Down, Thumb, Flam, Mute, Unison EA, Unison EE, Tremolo (3 variations but same speed), Harmonics, FX1, FX2 and Fretnoises.
- Includes 2 types of programs: “Solo” and “Group” (NI Kontakt, EXS24 & HALion versions only).
- “Solo” programs are one single Balalaika
- “Group” programs are a mix of 3 different notes and articulations played at the same time to build a unison feel of 3 (6 in NI Kontakt 3 and 4 if the String mix is set to 50% using the KSP script programs) unique Balalaika players.
- Speed control of the tremolos is only available in the NI Kontakt 3 & 4 programs.
Russian Balalaika is available to purchase as a download for $69 USD (+$11 USD on DVD); all formats are included.
More information: Precisionsound / Russian Balalaika