Karoryfer has announced the release of Karoryfer x bigcat cello, a free cello instrument library in Native Instruments Kontakt and sfz formats.
The Kontakt interface of the Kararyfer x bigcat cello instrument library.
This collaborative release by Karoryfer Lecolds and bigcat instruments is a simple cello sample library which is intended to be flexible and easy to use. The recordings are close-miked, recorded without vibrato, and completely unprocessed, so there’s no pre-baked reverb, compression or EQ. You can shape the sound in whatever way you need to make it work in your mix, which makes this cello especially suited to pop, rock or EDM tracks rather than classical music.
The cellist had just received her master’s degree in cello performance a few days before these samples were recorded, and in addition to interning with an orchestra she regularly performs with a pop/rock string quartet. In her spare time, she enjoys pretending to ride sculptures of penny farthing bicycles (or so it seems from the Kontakt wallpaper).
All notes are sampled every minor third. There are also bonus harmonics slides and percussive noises mapped to the keys above the notes.
The cello library is a free download.
More information: Karoryfer / Karoryfer x bigcat cello
Bigcat Instruments has announced the release of Bureu Organ, a free virtual instrument library for Native Instruments Kontakt 5.
Originally sampled by professional organist Lars Palo and released under a Creative Commons license, this a 40 stop organ has been converted to Kontakt 5 by bigcat Instruments. Thanks to scripting by Matt McKay, this organ is the most extensive instrument we have ever released. It features over 100 Reverbs, Unison X, Stereo Enhancement, a 4 band Solid EQ and other effects like Chorus, Phaser and Surround Panning.
According to John’s Organ Works, a 40 stop organ has 1,099,511,627,780 combinations, toss in the ability to change almost everything about this organ’s sound, then multiply in over 100 reverbs and you have the ability to customize your sound to an astounding degree.
The library is a free download from Bigcat Instruments. Requires Kontakt 5, full version.
More information: Bigcat Instruments / Bureu Organ
Bigcat Instruments has announced Saint Augustine’s Organ, a virtual organ instrument for Native Instruments Kontakt.
Nick Appleton sampled the organ of St. Augustine’s Anglican Church, Neutral Bay. I’ve turned it into an instrument for Kontakt 5.
With 850 samples weighing at over one and a half gigs, the organ has plenty of room to roar. With 12 stops, 5 great, 7 swell and 2 pedal, the user has plenty of control. Since the stops operate independently of each other, there are thousands of combinations that can be explored across the split keyboard.
The library is a free download. Requires full version of Kontakt.
More information: Bigcat Instruments / Saint Augustine’s Organ
Bigcat Instruments has announced MSLP Project, a collection of 40 Kontakt instruments made from the sampled instruments by Erick Kvist.
I’ve just started messing about trying to convert the MSLP instruments to Kontakt 5. I think it was about 5 years ago that Erick Kvist released this instrument collection. It is an impressive feat to create something like 15,000 samples. I thank him and the musicians who helped him for making these samples available to us.
There are a number of beautifully sampled instruments here, such as the flute, the trombone and the cello and even those more lightly sampled are still fun sounds than can make a nice addition to your instrument library. Also for the kid in you, ten sampled toys.
The instruments are available to download from Bigcat Instruments.
More information: Bigcat Instruments / MSLP Project
Bigcat Instruments has released some more free virtual instrument libraries for Native Instruments Kontakt.
New at Bigcat Instruments
- D. Smolken’s Double Bass – It has Arco samples up and down in 5 velocity layers and sampled roughly every third note. Also there are Pizzicato samples in 3 velocity layers and again roughly every third note but with 4 round robins and instrument sound effects for both arco and pizzicato.
- Saxophone Collection – Various sax instruments from public domain and creative commons samples. The showpiece of this collection are the Iowa Saxophones sampled by University of Iowa Electronic Music Studios. These Saxophones are fully sampled in 3 velocity layers with 375 samples all told.
- Flame Studios Guitars – Nine Flame Studios Instruments for Kontakt. 5 guitars, 3 basses and a banjo. These were originally Giga format.
- A Pad – Name any wav file “A Pad.wav” and drop it into the A Pad directory replacing the public domain demo sound from OLPC. Kick up the A Pad Kontakt instrument and there is your new pad with fiddley EQ, Reverb and Envelope Knobs on.
- Clean City Piano – Jeff from Critical Vibrations ran the City Piano samples through a de-noise filter and removed a 60-cycle hum. He also made it available for Ableton.
The Kontakt libraries are free to download at Bigcat Instruments.
More information: Bigcat Instruments
Bigcat Instruments has introduced the Piano Collection, a collection of free piano instrument libraries for Native Instruments Kontakt. The Salamander Piano (Yamaha C5) by Alexander HolmFeel was originally released as an SFZ instrument. Here are … read more
Bigcat Instruments has introduced City Piano, a free virtual grand piano instrument for Native Instruments Kontakt. The City Piano is a fully sampled Baldwin Baby Grand with 4 velocity layers and release samples. It is … read more