Ochen K. has released Chip64, a synthesizer Rack Extension instrument for Propellerhead Reason.
Chip64 brings the sound chips from vintage computers and video game consoles to the Reason rack.
Chip64 includes mathematical modeling of 5 chips: the TIA used in the Atari 2600, the SID chip used in the Commodore 64, the TA0x series used in the NES and Gameboy, the Vic-I used in the Vic 20, and the SN76489 chip used in the ColecoVision and Sega consoles.
With an on-board sequencer, as well as a multi-mode filter, LFO, modulation envelope, and more, Chip64 brings true chip emulation to your rack.
The Rack Extension is available for purchase for 32 EUR.
More information: Ochen K. / Chip64
Samplephonics has introduced The Sid Station, a sample pack featuring the sounds of the Elektron SidStation 8 bit digital synthesiser created using the original chip from the Commodore 64 computer.
This sample library contains a selection of multi-sampled looping waveforms, one shot drums and effects glitches, and a collection of playable loop patterns, all with corresponding sampler instruments for Kontakt, EXS24, Reason NN-XT sampler, Ableton Sampler, MOTU MachFive, Steinberg Halion and SFZ.
Expect to find a surprisingly versatile collection of glitchy loops and samples, that can be filtered and tamed or used to completely grime up a piece of music!
The Sid Station features
- 479.5 MB content.
- Over 1000 multi samples.
- 55 One shot drum samples.
- 421 Tempo synced mult sample loops.
- Sampler Instruments for EXS24, Kontakt, Reason NN-XT, Ableton Sampler, MOTU MachFive, Steinberg Halion and SFZ.
The sample pack is available for purchase for £20 GBP.
More information: Samplephonics
Wavosaur has announced VST Speek, a free Text to Speech plug-in.
VST Speek is a free vocal synthesis VST plugin for recreating the old skool robotic text to speech we all love. Choose a preset, type any text and let’s speak !
VST Speek text to speech is 100% freeware, the plugin is based on the Software Automatic Mouth (SAM) vocal synthesis software created by Softvoice Inc for the Commodore 64.
The plug-in (v1.0 beta) is available to download for Windows (VST).
More information: Wavosaur / VST Speek
de la Mancha has announced that its basic65 synthesizer instrument for Windows is now available for free.
basic 65 is a monophonic synth, inspired by the classic 80s home computer, the Commodore 64 and its legendary SID chip. Building on the waveforms and signal path of this famous chip, basic 65 adds further features and options to take things a step further.
The double arpeggiator allows complex versions of that retro 8-bit game sound and the modulation options inspire experimentation via the mod envelope and 2 comprehensive LFOs. Pulse width modulation, ring modulation and oscillator detune/sync are key ingredients in the signature sound. Throw in some pitch drift, bit drift, a sprinkle of dirt and randomisation and you have a wide range of lofi, chiptune, retro-tastic sounds at your disposal.
basic 65 was co-developed with sink, who also made the presets.
basic65 for Windows (VST) is now available to download as freeware. A donation to Cancer Research UK is appreciated.
More information: de la Mancha / basic65
Odo Synths has released Dream 64, a free synthesizer instrument for Windows.
Dream 64 is not an sid emulator just a plugin that can recreate sounds that are used in chip-music
Its inspired on the SID chip from the old but good commodore c64 Of course with some extra features for the fun
Dream 64 features
- 5 Sequencers with 8 steps; All sequencers have a start and end loop but start always at step one.
- Every sequencer has its own BPM rate or all have one Free Rate (manual).
- 1 Wavetable sequencer with audio on/off (gate effect).
- 2 Arp sequencer notes from C to C3 and one C4 note.
- 3 Extra octave sequencer.
- 4 Ring modulation sequencer notes from C to C3 and one C4 note.
- 5 Filter sequencer.
- Oscillator with 4 waveforms and ring modulation mode.
- Waves are saw triangle pulse noise. The noise is very special it can be pitched by key or fixed. Fixed is nice for percussion effects. Also you can pitch it on the GUI. Octaves from -3 to 2.
- Ring modulation oscillator notes from C to C3 and one C4 note.
- 2 LFOs with 21 waveforms BPM rates and free (manual).
- The LFOs can start at gate/free/first (first=host sync/Start when you hit play).
- Destinations of the LFOs are pitch/pulse/ring osc and Filter.
- 2 modulation envelopes (with BPM re-trigger).
- Destinations Pitch/pulse/ring modulation.
- Filter Envelope can be switched to the filter sequencer.
- Filters lowpass/hipass/bandpass/low and hipass/band and hipass/band and lowpass.
- Random for most of the controls.
- Rest most of the controls.
- Double click is reset for most of the controls.
- An extra nice feature a BPM MIDI arp. It’s nice in combination with the sequencers when the MIDI arp is set on low BPM rate (look at the presets with the name MIDI ARP xxxx. There’s also a free (manual rate) for the MIDI arp, but if the free rate to high you only hear the first step of the sequencers.
- Total of 109 presets so even if you don’t understand the plugin it’s useful.
The Dream 64 plug-in for Windows (VST) is a free download.
More information: Odo Synths
Ueberschall has released 8 Bit Stylez, a new Elastik Soundbank featuring low tech sounds for high level music.
The legend is back to consume your desires and take your feelings to the edge with fresh steps and tricks for your next mega mix. For serious gamers / DJ‘s/ producers.
We captured all the fire and modulations in the heart of SID‘s sonic arsenal. These sounds explode from the disk and gel onto your trax. From fast flashbacks to futurist attacks, you‘ll find the tools you need to squash the competition. C64 in every light, burned for the purpose of moving sound to new heights. Now as time moves forward, so does SID in an all new texture. The sound which is alive in all of us, evolves with us. But now these sounds are mapped out for you, and the game is pre-loaded. These samples are your secret codes and keys to move up to another level.
We feature 30 powerful energy-boosting Construction Kits to help you find and unlock the hidden motivation for your hit trax. In addition there are more than 1,000 unique SID synths, drums, vox, fx and grains with many styles and loops included as well.
The sound library for Elastik Player (VST/AU/RTAS) is available to purchase for 49 EUR.
More information: Ueberschall / 8 Bit Stylez
Bedroom Producers Blog has released Commodore 64 Synthesizer Sessions Part 2, a collection of free samples.
Two different Commodore 64s were used for creating the sounds in this sample pack, although both have SID 8580 installed. The original plan was to record some bits from a SID 6581 this time, but my old C64 died literally 5 minutes after I plugged it in. To make that major bummer even major-er, there were no original C64s (aka C64 beige) to be found in the local ads during this three week period.
However, I did manage to get ahold of a C64G, which was sampled for one of the instruments in this sample pack (the BASIC Bass patch, pictured below). C64G also has a SID 8580 installed, but they do say that every SID chip is different, so there’s still a bit of variety in the hardware sense I guess. All other sounds were captured from a C64C which was also used in the previous pack. Hopefully, a C64 beige will pop up in the ads before I start working on part 3.
Commodore 64 Synthesizer Sessions Part 2 features
- 14 multisampled instruments and one multi patch.
- Total of 142 samples in 16-bit WAV format (download size is 79.4 MB).
- Incluides Kontakt 5 and Shortcircuit 1 patches.
The sample pack is a free download at BPB.
More information: Bedroom Producers Blog