, circuit bending
, drum machine
, samples and sound libraries
, Speak and Spell
, Texas Instruments
Posted in news
on Feb 19, 2010
Loopmasters has released Circuit Bent Sounds Vol. 3, a collection of twisted beats and deformed audio sickness guaranteed to deliver a fresh bout of insanity to any production.
Back once again from the electronic surgery of the Circuitbenders labs, the products of an unholy alliance between soldering iron and sampler return to unleash another unhealthy dose of audio terrorism upon your unsuspecting senses!
From a cut-price drum toy to the mighty Roland SH101, nothing is safe from circuitbenders.co.uk attentions, with every machine being treated with an equally relaxed concern for its basic rights to bring you this unique set of sounds.
Stepping outside of normal methods of synthesis and audio production to unlock the true potential of an otherwise ordinary bit of hardware is the circuitbenders technique, All the machines used on this release have been rewired and abused to operate far beyond their normal design limits, enabling them to produce all those sounds that the original designers either fought to avoid or just never dreamed possible.
Circuit Bent Sounds Vol. 3 features
- Over 650Mb of content, comprising of over 758 samples, 283 Loops and 475 Single Sounds.
- 209 Drum Loops, 74 Sound Loops, and 22 Sounds and FX from a simply huge collection of circuit bent toys, drum machines and instruments of all types:
- Includes old school drum machines given a new lease of life in the form of the rare Akai XR10, the Yamaha RX7, Korg DDD1, Casio RZ1 sampling drum machine, Boss DR550 and the legendary Roland TR707, along with a host of esoteric electronic devices and toys supplying extra beats.
- Modified keys and synths include the analogue Roland SH101, the MFOS weird sound generator, Yamaha PSS270, Casio SA5, Rocktek Delay pedal and the favourite of every lofi musician and circuit bender, the Casio SK1 sampler.
- Rewired kids toys including Early Leaner shapes toy, Letterland toy, Bongon electronic bongos, VTech Talking Alfie teddy bear, Little Tykes guitar, Mix Me DJ toy and the classic Texas Instruments Speak & Read and Speak & Write toys amongst many others.
- 22 ready to play patches for all the most popular software samplers including Reason’s NNXT, Halion, Kontakt, EXS and SFZ.
- Acidised Wav, Rex2 and Apple Loop formats are all available.
Circuit Bent Sounds Vol. 3 is available to purchase for £19.95 GBP.
More information: Loopmasters / Circuit Bent Sounds Vol. 3
Xavier Jacques of Plastic Alien has released two sample packs.
XAV!ER J. is a performer and producer with a mission of bringing the underground club sound to the pop music world. Styles of influence include new wave, nu-rave, electro, techno, house, punk and disco. He has had releases on Cleopatra records, Dinero Rosa records, and itunes. He is currently working on original electronic music and also remixes for other music acts. XAV!ER J. hopes to entertain you with music that ranges bubble gum dance to more dark emotional IDM. Recently Xavier J. became one of 85 certified Ableton Live trainers in the world and is available for private lessons or small groups.
Plastic Alien sample packs
- Novation X-Station — 24bit samples in AIFF format; 30 sounds separated into bass, leads, pads and drums.
- Casio CZ-101 — 24bit samples in AIFF format; 21 sounds separated into bass, leads, pads and drums.
Both sample packs are available as a free download.
More information: Plastic Alien / Free Sample Packs
Dan303 (Dan Weatherall) has released Pack Three, a collection of drum loops from the Casio CT-647.
Pack Three contains 20 of the Preset drum loops sampled straight from the Casio CT-647 Home keyboard.
All the loops are in .REX format for use in Reason’s Dr. Rex player. However all the loops should load up with no problem in your favorite sequencer or sampler.
Also included in the pack are one shot samples of the kick drum, snare drums, high hats and cymbals, so creating your own drum loops shouldn’t be a problem.
Pack Three: Casio CT-647 is available as a free download.
More information: Dan303 / Pack Three: Casio CT-647
Sonic Assault has released version 2.0 of Kassiopeia!, a Casio CZ inspired dual line phase distortion synthesizer plug-in for Windows.
Kassiopeia! v2.0 features
- User selectable 1-8 Note Polyphony.
- 6 Graphic 16-stage Envelope Generators with Stage Looping, Independent Stage Contouring and Key Follow.
- 2 Pitch LFOs with Delay and Contoured Fade-In.
- Reverse Routing Multi-timbre Ring Modulator.
- Variable Noise Generator.
- User Adjustable Key Scaling.
- Stereo Reverb.
- 2 Independent Cross Feedback Delays.
Kassiopeia! 2.0 is available to download as a freeware VST instrument for Windows PC.
More information: Sonic Assault / Kassiopeia!
Posted in news
on Nov 24, 2009
ThinkGeek has released Bliptronic 5000, an LED synthesizer.
If HAL 9000 mated with R2-D2 and their electronic offspring was tutored by Kraftwerk it would probably end up something like the Bliptronic 5000 LED Synthesizer.
At once a minimalist musical plaything and a hardcore old-skool synthesizer, the Bliptronic defies categorization as it belts out 8-Bit style style tunes from its grid of glowing buttons.
You’ll notice sound similar to a retro Casiotone with an interface not unlike a simplified Yamaha TENORI-ON… if that makes any sense. Either way, once you start touching the keys of the Bliptronic you’ll be hooked by it’s simple pattern-based approach to music.
Bliptronic 5000 features
- Unusual retro synthesizer is played with a grid of glowing buttons.
- Create looping patterns and change them dynamically while playing.
- Chain multiple units together and create more complex melodies.
- One octave range. 8 notes can be played simultaneously.
- 8 different old-skool synth sounding instruments to choose from.
- Sounds created using FM waveform synthesis.
- Set the BPM (beats per minute) from 60 to 180 in 20 BPM increments.
- Built in speaker with headphone jack and line-out jack.
- Front panel is constructed from brushed aluminum.
- Includes, manual and 2 link cables for connecting additional Bliptronic units.
- Requires 4 x AA batteries (not included).
The Bliptronic 5000 is available to purchase for $49.99 USD.
More information: Bliptronic 5000
DETUNIZED.COM has released DTS008 – The Casiopeia Synthesizer, a new sound library for Ableton Live featuring the Casio Rapman.
Do you know the RAPMAN? A little plastic toy with some plastic 80ies drumloops, some basic plastic standard sounds and a plastic disc for basic standard scratching. Pretty boring at the first glance.
So please DO NOT listen to the audio samples! Otherwise it may happen that you don´t agree.
DTS008 – The Casiopeia Synthesizer features
- Instruments: 2 (Synthesizer, Drum Box).
- Oscillators: 23×2 (Velosens + Blend2FX).
- Noise Modules: 5 (selectable waveforms).
- 22 original Beat Loops.
- Keyrange: full (C-2 to G8).
- No. of samples: 534 (24 Bit, 44,1 kHz).
- Disk space needed: approx. 125 MB.
- Installation instruction included.
DTS008 – The Casiopeia Synthesizer is available as an instant download for 6.98 EUR. Subscribers pay 4.98 EUR.
More information: DETUNIZED.COM
Plughugger has announced the release of IT’S BAKELITE!, a new soundset for PlastiCZ by reFX.
As the 80s New Wave is topping the charts like ever before, the ReFX PlastiCZ has become a somewhat hidden production weapon for that true plastic lofi feeling of the 80s.
IT’S BAKELITE! is a soundset of 128 presets that expands greatly from the original sounds. While the included sounds emulates classical sounds such as Moog and the TB-303 – this soundset is an exploration of the true rubbery insides of PlastiCZ. IT’S BAKELITE! is mainly concentrated around bass sounds and leads.
The ReFX PlastiCZ is one of the few synthesizers that really captures the essence of the 80s cult classic Casio CZ. The sound can best be described as thin, innocent and naive.
IT’S BAKELITE! features
- 128 presets, 100% original and have all been designed by hand.
- The download package contains the soundset as an FXB bank as well as all sounds in FXP preset format.
IT’S BAKELITE! is available as a download for 5.90 EUR.
More information: Plughugger / IT’S BAKELITE!
AlgoMusic has announced the release of CZynthia, a dual phase distortion virtual synthesizer for Windows.
Czynthia is a dual PD (Phase Distortion) virtual synthesizer. Each synth is arranged in 3 basic blocks, not unlike those of a classic analog synthesizer: Pitch > Phase > AMP
Note: While this VSTi is inspired by the original Casio CZ series of synthesizers produced in the 1980’s, it does not seek to emulate it.
- Two Phase Distortion Oscillator sections each offering two sets of 8 waveforms.
- Three 8 stage envelopes each synth for control of pitch, phase and amplitude.
- LFO (BPM synced or free running) offering 22 waveforms, rate and delay with pitch and phase destinations.
- Pulsar module for algorithmic style pitch/phase modulation. (BPM synced)
- Ring modulation, detune and transpose controls.
- Volume and panorama controls for stereo imaging and master volume.
- Scale generator for force scaling of notes. Choice of 8 scales with root key selection.
- Powerful multi FX section offering 7 simultaneous stereo effects: EQ, Rotor, Metal, Wah, Delay, Chorus, Reverb.
CZynthia is available as a VST instrument plug-in for Windows PC for $39.95 USD / 27.95 EUR.
More information: AlgoMusic