Odo Synths has announced the release of version 3.0 of its Dream 64, a free chip synthesizer instrument for Windows.
Dream 64 is not an SID emulator, but it’s a plug-in that can recreate sounds that are used in chip-music. It’s inspired by the SID chip from the old but good Commodore c64 but with some extra features for fun.
Dream 64 v3.0 features
- All sequencers have a start and end loop but start always at step one.
- Start-step never can be higher than the end.
- Every sequencer has its own BPM rate or all have one manual rate.
- 8 step Wavetable sequencer with audio on/off (gate effect).
- 8 step Arp sequencer notes from c to c3 and one c4 note.
- 8 step Ring modulation sequencer notes from c to c3 and one c4 note.
- A Bitcrusher only for the ringmod. This is nice if you use the Wavetable.
- 16 step easy to edit filter-sequencer. Can be used for nice bass sounds because it has an end step (will sustain).
- Waveforms for the oscillator are saw, triangle, pulse, noise, ringmod mode. The noise is very special – it can be pitched by key or fixed.
- Oscillator octaves from -3 to 2.
- Ring modulation oscillator notes from c to c3 and one c4 note and a bitcrusher (this is nice for the wavetable sequencer).
- 2 LFOs with 21 waveforms BPM rates and manual with inverter.
- The LFOs can start (key sync) (host sync) and (free run).
- Destinations of the LFOs are pitch/pulse/ring osc and Filter.
- 2 modulation envelopes with inverter and BPM retrigger.
- Destinations Pitch/pulse/ring modulation.
- Filter Envelope can be switched to the filter sequencer.
- filters lowpass/hipass/bandpass/low and hipass/band and hipass/band and lowpass.
- Random for most of the controls.
- Reset most of the controls.
- Double click is reset for most of the controls.
- Bitcrusher before and after filter.
Dream 64 for Windows (VST) is a free download.
More information: Odo Synths
StrayWorx has announced the release of SIDized, a collection of 100 presets for the SIDizer virtual synthesizer instrument from HyperSynth.
Handcrafted with love for chiptunes and modern electro-sound-design. Usage is not limited to chiptunes only, SIDized preset pack includes a wide range of sounds: from 8bit Nintendo-ish blip-blops to Skrillexing bass-growls, through analog-ish pads and ring-modulated madness. Don’t forget to use mod-wheel, it can beat the **** out of the already modulated sounds.
- 3 channels of oldschool coolness.
- Retro-nostalgic feelings and childhood memories.
- Blip-blop, boing, bleeeep, doink.
- Character and unique personality.
- 6581, 8580, MOS, SID.
- Commodore 64.
The soundset is available for $16 USD.
More information: StrayWorx / SIDized
Sound-Base Audio has released Retro Boy, a free chiptune synthesizer instrument for Windows.
Retro Boy is a virtual analog chiptune synthesizer/emulator. It does not specifically emulate a single device or sound chip, but it was made with a certain handheld gaming system in mind.
The goal was to make a simple, minimal, synth that could create “8-bit music” without being overly complicated or requiring much knowledge from the end-user.
Retro Boy features
- Single oscillator with seven different waveforms: Pulse 1 (12.5% duty cycle), Pulse 2 (25% duty cycle), Pulse 3 (50% duty cycle), Saw, Triangle, Sine, Noise.
- Volume, vibrato, decimation, ADSR envelope, and voice control (adjustable from 1 to 4 voices).
- Low CPU usage, <1% on an i5 processor.
Retro Boy for Windows (VST) is available to download as freeware.
More information: Sound-Base Audio / Retro Boy
Samplephonics has launched Arcade Transitions, a sample pack featuring a collection of heavy sound effects bloops, 8 Bit sweeps, bleepy impact samples and intricate chiptune style snapshots.
Painstakingly designed by our very own sonic scientist Soundbits, this collection of retro sound shaping tools and effects will take you right back to the good old days of Pacman and Streets of Rage!
Containing 299 one shot sound effect samples, and a collection of sampler instruments for EXS24, Kontakt and Reason NN-XT, this sample library contains a large collection of inspiring material for any sound designer, composer or music producer looking to inject complex and unique sound shaping into their productions.
The sample pack is available to purchase for £25 GBP.
More information: Samplephonics
de la Mancha has announced that its basic65 synthesizer instrument for Windows is now available for free.
basic 65 is a monophonic synth, inspired by the classic 80s home computer, the Commodore 64 and its legendary SID chip. Building on the waveforms and signal path of this famous chip, basic 65 adds further features and options to take things a step further.
The double arpeggiator allows complex versions of that retro 8-bit game sound and the modulation options inspire experimentation via the mod envelope and 2 comprehensive LFOs. Pulse width modulation, ring modulation and oscillator detune/sync are key ingredients in the signature sound. Throw in some pitch drift, bit drift, a sprinkle of dirt and randomisation and you have a wide range of lofi, chiptune, retro-tastic sounds at your disposal.
basic 65 was co-developed with sink, who also made the presets.
basic65 for Windows (VST) is now available to download as freeware. A donation to Cancer Research UK is appreciated.
More information: de la Mancha / basic65
, Industrial Strength Records
, patches and sound banks
, samples and sound libraries
Posted in news
on Dec 03, 2013 - 0 comments
Industrial Strength has launched Chiptune Massive, a sound library featuring loops, samples, and patches for the Massive & FM8 synthesizer instruments by Native Instruments.
Our new collection was made from the ground up to provide you with a truly unique selection of quirky 24 Bit audio samples and game ready patches for Ni Massive and NI Fm-8. (Included in the Main Pack Only)
This pack is a one stop shop for sequences that you can play by just hitting one key on your midi keyboard Controller while using Ni Massive. Yes, all your favorite sounding old school video game style sequences all at just one finger tip.
We even thru in over 200 Chiptune Audio files and a dope set of Growls, Wobbles and Leads for you to rip apart. Each sample has loads of head room for you to rework and really use with your own Fx. Everything you here in the demo is in the pack and way more.
Chiptune Massive features
- 1.37GB content, 24 bit quality.
- 70 NI Massive Presets, 31 NI FM-8 Presets.
- 244 Apple Loops.
- Includes 137 Chiptune Loops, 119 Drum Loops, 119 High Hat Loops, 25 Chiptune Bass Loops, 117 Chiptune Vocals, 24 Speak n Spell Vocals, 86 Bass Shots, 41 Mettel Synsonics Drums, 9 Virus TI Drums, 52 MT-52 Shots, 39 Casio Cz 101 Samples, 62 Moog Perc Shots, 11 Moog Fx, 60 Moog Lazors, 18 Long Moog Fx, 24 Moog White Noise Fx, 5 Edm Claps, 5 Edm Kicks, 10 Blips, 10 Closed Hats, 30 Kick Drums, 10 Open Hats, 20 Snare Drums, 26 ISR Fx.
- 7 Ni Battery 4 Kits, 1 Mattel NI Battery 4 Kit, 2 ISR Battery 4 Kits (96 Additional Samples), 1 Maschine Kit.
The sound pack is available to purchase for £24.95 GBP.
More information: Industrial Strength / Chiptune Massive
de la Mancha has announced that its PULS monophonic pulse wave synthesizer instrument for Windows is now free.
PULS is a monophonic pulse wave synthesizer with simple controls but complex sounds. From 2 pulse wave oscillators you can get chunky basses, scorching leads, retro chiptune, dusty lofi and oddball noises. With an unusual isometric pixel-art interface, what it lacks in knobs, it makes up for in sound.
It features custom pulse waveforms, unison, oscillator sync and ring modulation for some big ‘n’ dirty sound potential, with a tempo-sync LFO for pulse width modulation (PWM) as well as detune and volume modulation.
PULS is available to download for Windows (VST).
More information: de la Mancha / PULS
3ee Sound Design has launched LEVEL 3-E, a soundset for the Zebra software synthesizer instrument by u-he.
LEVEL 3-E is a collection of 90 classic chiptune patches inspired by two popular game consoles from the late 70s and mid 80s.
From arps, basses and leads to percussion and nostalgic sound effects, the pack contains everything you need to craft a fairly authentic sounding chiptune track.
All instruments within this collection were created by 3ee and optimized with modulation wheel and at least a pair of XY performance controls.
The soundset is available to purchase starting at $6 USD.
More information: 3ee Sound Design / LEVEL 3-E