Ochen K. has released Chip64, a synthesizer Rack Extension instrument for Propellerhead Reason.
Chip64 brings the sound chips from vintage computers and video game consoles to the Reason rack.
Chip64 includes mathematical modeling of 5 chips: the TIA used in the Atari 2600, the SID chip used in the Commodore 64, the TA0x series used in the NES and Gameboy, the Vic-I used in the Vic 20, and the SN76489 chip used in the ColecoVision and Sega consoles.
With an on-board sequencer, as well as a multi-mode filter, LFO, modulation envelope, and more, Chip64 brings true chip emulation to your rack.
The Rack Extension is available for purchase for 32 EUR.
More information: Ochen K. / Chip64
Samplephonics has introduced The Sid Station, a sample pack featuring the sounds of the Elektron SidStation 8 bit digital synthesiser created using the original chip from the Commodore 64 computer.
This sample library contains a selection of multi-sampled looping waveforms, one shot drums and effects glitches, and a collection of playable loop patterns, all with corresponding sampler instruments for Kontakt, EXS24, Reason NN-XT sampler, Ableton Sampler, MOTU MachFive, Steinberg Halion and SFZ.
Expect to find a surprisingly versatile collection of glitchy loops and samples, that can be filtered and tamed or used to completely grime up a piece of music!
The Sid Station features
- 479.5 MB content.
- Over 1000 multi samples.
- 55 One shot drum samples.
- 421 Tempo synced mult sample loops.
- Sampler Instruments for EXS24, Kontakt, Reason NN-XT, Ableton Sampler, MOTU MachFive, Steinberg Halion and SFZ.
The sample pack is available for purchase for £20 GBP.
More information: Samplephonics
Twisted Electrons has announced the release of AY3, a desktop 8-bit chiptune synthesizer.
Time to take a break from HI-FI land and enjoy some good old 8-BIT nostalgia!
The AY3 features two 8912 chips boasting 6 voice polyphony. You can apply sequencers, arpeggiators, noise, envelopes and pitch modulation to each voice with a click of a button.
The AY3 is packed with features that are all very easily accessible thanks to it’s intuitive 5×6 button matrix.
The AY3 is available for purchase for 197 EUR.
More information: Twisted Electrons / AY3
Odo Synths has announced the release of version 3.0 of its Dream 64, a free chip synthesizer instrument for Windows.
Dream 64 is not an SID emulator, but it’s a plug-in that can recreate sounds that are used in chip-music. It’s inspired by the SID chip from the old but good Commodore c64 but with some extra features for fun.
Dream 64 v3.0 features
- All sequencers have a start and end loop but start always at step one.
- Start-step never can be higher than the end.
- Every sequencer has its own BPM rate or all have one manual rate.
- 8 step Wavetable sequencer with audio on/off (gate effect).
- 8 step Arp sequencer notes from c to c3 and one c4 note.
- 8 step Ring modulation sequencer notes from c to c3 and one c4 note.
- A Bitcrusher only for the ringmod. This is nice if you use the Wavetable.
- 16 step easy to edit filter-sequencer. Can be used for nice bass sounds because it has an end step (will sustain).
- Waveforms for the oscillator are saw, triangle, pulse, noise, ringmod mode. The noise is very special – it can be pitched by key or fixed.
- Oscillator octaves from -3 to 2.
- Ring modulation oscillator notes from c to c3 and one c4 note and a bitcrusher (this is nice for the wavetable sequencer).
- 2 LFOs with 21 waveforms BPM rates and manual with inverter.
- The LFOs can start (key sync) (host sync) and (free run).
- Destinations of the LFOs are pitch/pulse/ring osc and Filter.
- 2 modulation envelopes with inverter and BPM retrigger.
- Destinations Pitch/pulse/ring modulation.
- Filter Envelope can be switched to the filter sequencer.
- filters lowpass/hipass/bandpass/low and hipass/band and hipass/band and lowpass.
- Random for most of the controls.
- Reset most of the controls.
- Double click is reset for most of the controls.
- Bitcrusher before and after filter.
Dream 64 for Windows (VST) is a free download.
More information: Odo Synths
StrayWorx has announced the release of SIDized, a collection of 100 presets for the SIDizer virtual synthesizer instrument from HyperSynth.
Handcrafted with love for chiptunes and modern electro-sound-design. Usage is not limited to chiptunes only, SIDized preset pack includes a wide range of sounds: from 8bit Nintendo-ish blip-blops to Skrillexing bass-growls, through analog-ish pads and ring-modulated madness. Don’t forget to use mod-wheel, it can beat the **** out of the already modulated sounds.
- 3 channels of oldschool coolness.
- Retro-nostalgic feelings and childhood memories.
- Blip-blop, boing, bleeeep, doink.
- Character and unique personality.
- 6581, 8580, MOS, SID.
- Commodore 64.
The soundset is available for $16 USD.
More information: StrayWorx / SIDized
Sound-Base Audio has released Retro Boy, a free chiptune synthesizer instrument for Windows.
Retro Boy is a virtual analog chiptune synthesizer/emulator. It does not specifically emulate a single device or sound chip, but it was made with a certain handheld gaming system in mind.
The goal was to make a simple, minimal, synth that could create “8-bit music” without being overly complicated or requiring much knowledge from the end-user.
Retro Boy features
- Single oscillator with seven different waveforms: Pulse 1 (12.5% duty cycle), Pulse 2 (25% duty cycle), Pulse 3 (50% duty cycle), Saw, Triangle, Sine, Noise.
- Volume, vibrato, decimation, ADSR envelope, and voice control (adjustable from 1 to 4 voices).
- Low CPU usage, <1% on an i5 processor.
Retro Boy for Windows (VST) is available to download as freeware.
More information: Sound-Base Audio / Retro Boy
Samplephonics has launched Arcade Transitions, a sample pack featuring a collection of heavy sound effects bloops, 8 Bit sweeps, bleepy impact samples and intricate chiptune style snapshots.
Painstakingly designed by our very own sonic scientist Soundbits, this collection of retro sound shaping tools and effects will take you right back to the good old days of Pacman and Streets of Rage!
Containing 299 one shot sound effect samples, and a collection of sampler instruments for EXS24, Kontakt and Reason NN-XT, this sample library contains a large collection of inspiring material for any sound designer, composer or music producer looking to inject complex and unique sound shaping into their productions.
The sample pack is available to purchase for £25 GBP.
More information: Samplephonics