Cockos has released version 3.2 of Reaper, a complete multitrack audio and MIDI recording, editing, processing, mixing, and mastering environment.
Changes in Reaper v3.2
- Actions: FX last touched parameter: show TCP knob, envelope, param mod, MIDI learn, or alias.
- Autoload last project: does not load last project if it crashed on last load.
- Envelopes: fixed random crash when adding many points via pencil mode.
- FX: tempo-synced plugins account for project play rate.
- FX: Undo/redo on floating FX windows no longer restores window position.
- Item edge editing: update edge edit/timestretch cursor while editing.
- Screensets: save/restore extended mixer details with track views.
- MIDI editor: restore secondary sources on multiproject switches.
- Misc: fixed erratic ntdll crash when scrolling the arrange view.
- Missing media prompt: search button.
- ReaComp: smooth changes in wet/dry, automakeup gain.
- ReaDelay: smooth changes in tap volume/pan, wet/dry.
- ReaEQ: smooth frequency, gain, bandwidth changes (sweepable filters).
- ReaPlugs: denormal management improvements.
- ReaXcomp: smooth changes in gain, band frequency/threshold/ratio/gain.
- ReaXcomp: fancier ratio indicator.
- ReaVerb: OSX deconvolution support.
- ReaXcomp/ReaComp: RMS optimizations.
- ReaScript: GetSetChunkState chunk length limit increased to 1MB.
- ReaScript: added GetUserFileNameForRead.
- OSX: better CoreAudio samplerate setting (should not override bit depth, too).
- OSX: huge performance improvements (denormal management, alignment fixes).
- Save as: separate trim/convert options.
- Scrub: avoid runaway scrub when using arrow key navigation.
- Tab to transient: stop at media item start when tabbing backwards through transients.
- Tweaks to missing filename resolving (always resolve relative filenames to full).
- VST/AU: record automation from closed plugins that have internal MIDI control.
- Windows: added readahead buffer for live CD playback in Media Explorer.
Reaper is available to purchase for PC and Mac for $60 USD (discounted license) / $225 USD (full commercial license). A complete and uncrippled evaluation version Reaper can be downloaded from the website.
More information: Reaper
Cockos has released version 3.14 of Reaper, a complete multitrack audio and MIDI recording, editing, processing, mixing, and mastering environment for Windows and Mac.
Changes in Reaper v3.14
- Action: show/hide all floating windows
- API: added functions for sending commands to the active MIDI editor window
- API: added register(“command_id_lookup”) to find extension actions
- API: added functions to retrieve track/take envelopes
- API: added MIDI_eventlist_Create, MIDI_eventlist_Destroy
- API: added GetSetTrackState, GetSetItemState, GetSetEnvelopeState
- API: fixed extension shortcut problem
- Automation: fixed action to set envelope lane fader from MIDI controller
- Automation: more consistent behavior for new envelopes picking up the fader value in non-trim mode
- Auto-crossfades: fix for some crossfades not being reset when moving multiple items across tracks
- Batch converter: new facility to convert media in bulk, optionally applying FX
- Custom menus: main MIDI menus can be customized, other improvements
- Custom menus: import/export/reset individual menus along with entire sets
- Custom toolbar: support adding extension actions to toolbar
- DX: fix for synths dropping the first MIDI note
- Live performance: FX multiprocessing optimization
- Media item resampling/pitch shift modes: not switched when switching projects
- MIDI editor: Fixed adding text/sysex events not extending source length when past end
- OSX: fixed issues with mouse focus in TCP
- OSX: nicer disk image
- OSX: various menu improvements/fixes
- OSX: preliminary video support
- OSX: alternate VST cache/path config for PPC vs Intel
- Peaks: fixed recording peaks interpolation accuracy and corner-case crash when recording
- Prefs/Media/MIDI: Improved behavior when all-notes-off when un-record-arming a track disabled
- Project/template file save: better detection and handling of failed disk writes
- ReaSamplomatic5000: Configurable per-instance resample mode
- Render queue: resizeable
- Track height: default for new projects can be set via File/Proj Settings/Save as default or Prefs/Projects/Default
- Track renaming: better support for tabbing through tracks when envelope panels visible
- Video: improved scrubbing support
- Video: handling of multiple items improved (later items, higher track numbers prioritized)
- Windows: Fixed font used in some dialogs for ClearType (OGG rendering, etc)
More information: Reaper
Cockos has released version 3.13 of Reaper, a complete multitrack audio and MIDI recording, editing, processing, mixing, and mastering environment for Windows and Mac.
Changes in Reaper v3.13
- Action: insert multiple tracks.
- API: added functions: AddProjectMarker, DeleteProjectMarker.
- Automation: new volume/pan envelopes display the current track fader value.
- Crossfades: fixed auto-crossfade when control+drag copying items.
- FLAC: fixed multichannel read support.
- FX chains: automatically increase track channel count when loading FX chains that use more channels.
- Glue: special fade handling when gluing multiple items starting or ending at the same time.
- Mixer: consistent scroll behavior regardless of number of tracks, autoscroll to newly added tracks.
- Master: no reset of master mono/stereo setting after automatically muting on overload.
- Media items: button to display item properties, by default shown only when the item is resampled.
- Media explorer: configurable default-handling of project files, better context menus.
- Media explorer: filter fixes.
- Menus: most commonly used menus can be customized (add/remove actions, submenus, rename menu items).
- Menus: menu customizations can be imported/exported to file.
- MIDI editor: user preference to flash keyboard notes on track input note-on.
- MIDI editor: setting to snap note ends to grid when snap enabled.
- MIDI editor: fixed snapping bug when following project beats and grid is 1/4 note triplets.
- MIDI editor: better keyboard handling in text fields.
- Mousewheel: fixed control+mousewheel for fine slider moves in parameter modulation and send windows.
- Mute/solo: setting via right-click follows selection/grouping unless overridden with shift key.
- OSX: preliminary media explorer.
- OSX: fixes for file browse dialog with certain paths.
- OSX: vast keyboard system fixes and improvements.
- OSX: fixed main window actions working in undocked transports.
- OSX: disk reading does not use F_NOCACHE on remote file systems.
- OSX: virtual MIDI keyboard fixes.
- OSX: fixes to mixer autoscrolling.
- OSX: midi list editor supports in-list editing.
- OSX: fixed visual glitch with docker.
- Peak building: optimizations (50-150% faster on .wav files in our tests).
- Peaks: when using alternate peak path, put peaks in numbered subdirectories for better performance.
- Peaks: low quality preview peaks during building are now are more consistent with finished peaks.
- Peaks: aborted peak generation removes partial (invalid) peak files.
- Project load: replacing files with different types will scan for the same file type for other missing files.
- Project/template load: current working directory defaults to project/template path.
- ReaScript: added GetTrackState, expanded html help, set undo point after script executes.
- ReaScript: capture Python compile-time and run-time error messages for display.
- ReaScript: fixed get/set of integer-type track, item, or take parameters.
- Take names: automatically focus take name field when displaying item properties.
- TCP: Drag and drop routing now autoscrolls.
- TCP/Mixer: autoscroll to tracks selected via action or control surface.
- Track icons: optionally set all tracks to the same width when any track icons are used.
- Undo system: greatly reduced memory use when loading undo history from file.
- VST: fix for bridged/firewalled plug-ins with track controls visible.
- VST: added MIDI output mode to merge output with input (for groove players, arpeggiators, etc.).
- VST extensions: support for effString2Parameter (mostly for readable manual editing of envelope points).
- VST MIDI: fixed hanging note bug from synthedit and possibly other plugins that generate MIDI.
- Windows: drag and drop of files out of REAPER now better supports unicode characters.
- Windows: try to prevent bad plugins from quitting REAPER.
- x64: ReWire support (master/mixer only).
More information: Reaper
Cockos has released version 3.12 of Reaper, a complete multitrack audio and MIDI recording, editing, processing, mixing, and mastering environment for Windows and Mac.
Changes in Reaper v3.12
- Automation lanes: fixed possible crash when removing FX parameter envelopes.
- CD burning: fixes to native XP mode track divisions.
- Extensions API: GetSetMediaItemInfo() fixes for fade shape settings.
- Fade drawing: when using full-area filling, fixed drawing when zoomed in.
- FX: per-FX buggy plugin compatibility mode (assumes plugin is not threadsafe, needs constant precleaned buffers, etc.).
- Hardware outputs: post-fader track outputs obey track polarity control.
- MIDI editor: show notes pressed as long as the input note is pressed.
- OSX: improved drag/drop support.
- OSX: support for control+alt+drag to render to new file (drag to desktop, finder, sampler, etc.).
- OSX: CD burning support.
- OSX: REX support.
- OSX: special casing for POD Farm VST misreporting view type (VST 2.4 should be composited view).
- OSX: fix for some AUs that do not export automatable parameters until after audio streams are initialized.
- OSX: added correct file locking to prevent writing files open for read.
- Pencil mode: fixed fade/autofade settings for newly drawn media items.
- ReaControlMIDI: support for raw mode (0-127 access to all CC messages).
- ReaControlMIDI: envelopes and TCP knobs report the same value as the slider (0-127, 0-16383, or on/off).
- ReaControlMIDI: support for storing/sending sysex dumps up to 64KB.
- ReaScript: run Python or Perl scripts that call Reaper API functions.
- ReaScript: assign reascripts to key commands or toolbar buttons.
- VST bridging: optimized plug-ins that call for tempo information.
- VST bridging/firewalling: per plug-in option to embed UI (not as compatible, less crash-resilient).
- VST: safer querying of text strings from certain plug-ins.
- Win32: async file reading now has more grace on error.
- Win32: file locking improvements (no longer allow writing to media files that are open and online in REAPER, etc.).
- x64: VST bridging performance improvements, ReaRoute performance improvements.
- x64: will now use same config path as x86 (unless appdata/REAPER64 is valid).
- x64: REX support (via bridging).
- x64: fix for certain (broken) ASIO drivers.
A commercial license for Reaper is available for purchase for $225 USD.
For personal use, commerical use with a yearly gross revenue of less than $20k USD, and educational or non-profit organizations there is a $60 USD discounted license available.
A complete and uncrippled evaluation version Reaper can be downloaded from the website.
More information: Reaper
According to this poll quite a number of people seem to enjoy Cockos Reaper.
The idea behind the poll was to figure out a little bit more about rekkerd.org readers.
I was actually expecting Ableton Live to be #1, with FL Studio, Cubase/Nuendo and perhaps Logic Pro in the top 5.
Reaper proved more popular than I thought.
So I am wondering, dear Reaper users, why do you use this software? Is it because it’s relatively cheap, the features, workflow, or something else?
Please share, thanks!
Cockos has released version 3.1 of Reaper, a complete multitrack audio and MIDI recording, editing, processing, mixing, and mastering environment for Windows and Mac.
Changes in Reaper v3.1
- Actions: toggle show master tempo envelope.
- Actions: faster actions to explode audio by channel, much faster actions to explode MIDI by channel or pitch.
- Actions: separate actions to jump to previous/next beat/measure vs moving edit cursor only.
- Actions: fixed occasional disappearing key shortcut.
- Automation: fixed possible crash when deleting FX envelope.
- Automation: shift+ctrl+drag locks envelope point move to either horizontal or vertical (like in MIDI editor).
- Bounce: display in transport displays bounced length.
- Editing: fixed bug when moving items across hidden tracks.
- GUI: significant CPU optimizations when drawing time selection, antialiased peaks, fades, envelopes, filled envelopes.
- GUI: dim track I/O button when master/parent send disabled (themeable using track_io_dis and mcp_io_dis).
- GUI: fixed bug in HSV blend mode.
- GUI: fixed edge line drawing for time/loop selections when decoupled.
- GUI: fixed filled envelope clipping bug.
- GUI: separate theme elements for fade quiet zone and fade area color fill.
- JS: updated Liteon FX.
- Media explorer: checkbox for starting media preview on the bar while project is playing back.
- Media explorer: fixed context menu on Vista/Win7.
- Media explorer: show preview graphics for MIDI items.
- Metronome: fixed output selection menu.
- MIDI editor: event filter stays on top, can be toggled on/off.
- MIDI editor: CC lane dropdowns show which message types are currently in use.
- MIDI editor: inserting notes in drum modes uses smaller of grid size or 32nd notes.
- MIDI editor: view preference to always display note velocity.
- MIDI editor: action to move edit cursor to play cursor.
- MIDI editor: action to set selected note lengths to grid size.
- MIDI editor: better paste-extends-source behavior when using unlooped items.
- MIDI editor: no loop end marker for unlooped MIDI items.
- MIDI editor: fixed clipboard leak in certain paste actions.
- MIDI editor: fixed screen redraws/flashes when selecting notes in list view.
- MIDI editor: action to import lyric events from text file.
- MIDI editor: better display of text/sysex event editing vs adding, better copy-drag behavior.
- MIDI editor: clicking empty space in the lane deselects text/sysex events.
- MIDI editor: fixed copy/paste of text/sysex events in list editor.
- MIDI editor: fixed file-based MIDI item text/sysex event undo/redo.
- MIDI editor: fixed memory leak when deleting text/sysex events in list editor.
- MIDI editor: fixed step sequencer note entry when inline editor is open.
- MIDI editor: fixed text event editing on OS X.
- MIDI editor: fixed text event hit testing in certain instances.
- MIDI inline editor: actions dialog can now run actions.
- MIDI: don’t create a new MIDI item when punch recording if there is already a suitable item to record into.
- MIDI: fixed overdub recording when extending source and record pdc disabled.
- MIDI: record overdub/replace modes with record PDC disabled now compensated for track PDC.
- OSX: default to Cocoa UI for AU plug-ins that support it.
- OSX: fixed manually editing JS parameter values.
- Peaks/waveforms: recording items are drawn more smoothly and consistently, update faster by default (configurable).
- Playback: preserve PDC delayed monitoring now compensates for both track and master/parent PDC.
- Project: fixed project template being inserted when opening existing project in new tab.
- Project: setting maximum project length prevents zooming out much past that length.
- ReaEQ: more regular grid lines.
- ReaFIR: more regular grid lines.
- ReaVerb, ReaSamplomatic: now multi-project aware (for save-as with media).
- ReaSamplomatic: fixed noise bug with zero release time.
- Recording: fixed recording pre-roll sample rounding problem.
- Render: fixed render dialog peaks display when certain stem options set.
- Render: more helpful error message if target directory does not exist.
- Render: saving project to RPP via render dialog now adds project to recent list.
- Render: Shup button sends to user default upload target.
- Screensets: better multiproject track view support.
- Screensets: screenset window now updates on save-project action.
- Shutdown: cancelling save while Windows is shutting down cancels system shutdown.
- Shutdown: more stable sequence with undo history open.
- Solo: fixed glitches when unsoloing with routing and PDC.
- Spaghetti cormorant.
- TCP/Mixer: create sends by dragging IO button to another track.
- TCP/Mixer: alt+click on IO button toggles master/parent send.
- TCP: bulk mute/solo by dragging mute/solo button to another track.
- Tempo envelope: snap points to grid when adding and snapping enabled.
- VST: faster startup scan of plug-ins that have not changed.
- VST: more efficient automation for new envelopes or envelopes with square point shape.
- VST: correct return value for audioMasterAutomate.
Reaper is available for purchase for Windows and Mac for $225 USD (full commercial license) or at the discounted license price of $60 USD (for personal use, or commerical use with a yearly gross revenue of less than $20k USD).
An uncrippled evaluation version of Reaper is available for download from the Reaper website.
More information: Reaper