Variety Of Sound has launched SlickHDR, a free “Psychoaccoustic Dynamic Processor” effect plug-in for Windows.
Technically speaking, SlickHDR contains a coupled network of three dynamic processors with two of them running in a “stateful saturation” configuration and one based on look-ahead processing.
Fixed amounts of the unprocessed signal are then injected into the network at several specific points and also mixed back into the networks output.
Being networked, all processors are highly interacting with each other and this is utilized to cope with a wide variety of sound (sic!) to balance the perceived audio dynamic range.
- Balances the perceived global vs. local micro dynamics of any incoming audio.
- Creates a rich in contrast, detailed and clearly perceived image which translates way better across different listening environments.
- Provides a convenient workflow by simply adjusting three dynamic processors to show a roughly same load.
- Offers further and detailed control about overall tone and release time behavior.
SlickHDR is available to download as a freeware VST effect plug-in for Windows.
More information: Variety Of Sound / SlickHDR
Klanghelm Audio Plugins has released version 2.2 of its DC8C advanced compressor effect plug-in for Windows and Mac.
DC8C is one of the most flexible compressors around. While making a lot of different compression styles possible, it’s general nature may be described as: clear, smooth, open, distinct.
Changes in DC8C v2.2
- FIX: overs in LIMITER mode under some circumstances.
- CHANGE: feedback signal is grabbed before the output control now: so increasing output gain doesn’t lead to more gain reduction, when feedback is used for the detector (FB-MIX > 0 and EASY modes).
- CHANGE: updated feedback path to avoid “clickiness” at very short attack times and and heavy gain reduction.
- CHANGE: when using the mix control the dry mix signal is the unprocessed signal without input and output gain and without saturation.
- CHANGE: negative release PROG DEP is now possible in SMASH mode too making release times down to 2ms possible on extreme settings and high GR.
- FIX/CHANGE: attack PROG DEP is working as expected now, it’s been completely rewritten and detached from the release PROG DEP. So it’s easier to use both attack and release PROG DEP at the same time.
- CHANGE: internal timings of oversampled and non-oversampled operation are aligned now.
DC8C for Windows and Mac (VST/AU) is available to purchase for 20 EUR. The update is free for all existing users.
More information: Klanghelm / DC8C
Voxengo has released version 3.11 of Elephant, a mastering limiter effect plug-in for Windows and Mac.
Elephant is a highly competitive plug-in for mastering applications: it features a variety of limiter modes that can be deeply customized, and a comprehensive set of level metering tools, including headroom estimation and K-system metering.
Elephant’s built-in linear-phase oversampling is an important element in achieving high-quality peak limiting and loudness maximization.
Changes in Elephant v3.11
- Added “dBFS.30″ and “dBFS.15″ metering options.
- The “Bypass” switch now bypasses all processing stages completely, including the dithering stage.
- Fixed minor spectral error when switching oversampling from 8X to 4X or from 4X to 2X.
- Added VST3 support.
The Elephant plug-in (VST/AU) is available to purchase for $119.95 USD.
More information: Voxengo / Elephant
Minimal System has announced a limited time sale on its Mastering Limiter effect plug-in for Windows.
The Mastering Limiter from Minimal System is a high end audio processing advanced peak limiter designed to maximize both the level of the digital signal and the resolution of your final rendered file.
The Mastering Limiter’s lookahead peak limiter algorithm provides the mixing and mastering engineer with the capability to increase resolution and production master levels with precise control. Specifically designed for mastering, digital editing, multimedia, and any application that requires limiting of the digital signal with highest quality; the Mastering Limiter is perfect addition to your mixing and mastering tool set.
In order to ensure the maximum possible resolution of a processed signal, it is very highly recommended that the Mastering Limiter be used last in the processing chain.
The plug-in (Windows VST) is available to purchase for £7.50 GBP for 24 hours only (regular £14.99 GBP).
More information: Minimal System / Mastering Limiter
Prism Audio has announced Parallel Compressor, a compressor effect plug-in for Windows.
Parallel Compressor features
- Transparent Compression.
- Virtual analog processing.
- Responsive Effect.
- Fast Attack.
- Dry/Wet control for parallel compression.
- Perfect to add punch and clarity in your tracks.
- Easy-to-use – clean results.
- Use it on anything, drums, bass, chords, master bus…
The plug-in is available to purchase for Windows (VST), priced at $29 USD.
More information: Prism Audio
Pentode audio has announced VTC-1, a vacuum tube compressor effect plugin for Windows.
VTC-1 is special analog modeled virtual VST compressor with warm analog, fat pumping and transparent sound.
Compared to modern compressors PENTODE AUDIO VTC-1 has different inner structure and principle of work: VTC-1 don’t have threshold knob, so you set amount of compression by increasing or decreasing input level same like with old analog tube compressors. Compression amount knob is similar to ratio knob at modern compressors. You can select two curves of compression with switch: significant compression or smooth curve. If you prefer fat/massive sound you can boost input signal of vacuum tubes by turning tube drive knob.
If you want some real sounding analog color to your digital records and characteristic yet transparent compression feel free to try demo version of VTC-1.
- Compression amount knob.
- Standard attack and release knobs with analog modeled behavior.
- Input knob that control amount of compression / level of compression.
- Compression amount knob (similar to ratio selector).
- Switch: significant compression (hard curve) or smooth curve (soft curve).
- Tube drive knob for real sounding analog warmth and saturation.
- Post-gain knob.
- Bypass knob and gain reduction meter.
The plugin is available to purchase for Windows (VST) priced at 17.17 EUR.
More information: 123Creative / VTC-1
McDSP has launched the Compressor Collection, a bundle of dynamic range processors for Reason, including the C670, FRG-4RE, and Moo Tube compressors.
Reason users rejoice! Now you can harness the legendary power of McDSP audio software within Reason as a Rack Extension!
Choose from 3 uniquely and meticulously hand-crafted compressors (or just get the entire collection) to add that warmth and presence that your music has been waiting for!
McDSP Compressor Collection features
- C670 Compressor – The C670 Rack Extension plug-in is a surprisingly flexible compressor in a three knob package. Modeled after vintage equipment valued at over $30,000, the C670 is as classic as they come, in a far more reliable software version complimented by new features not found in the original device.
- FRG-4RE Compressor – The FRG-4RE Rack Extension plug-in is a feed-forward reactive gain compressor (FRG), referred to by McDSP engineering staff as ‘the frog’. The FRG-4RE’s features include a modern compression topology, separately adjustable attack and release controls, and a wide compression ratio control spread, ranging from nearly 1:1 to 20:1.
- Moo Tube Compressor – The Moo Tube Rack Extension plug-in is a software emulation of modern tube based hardware compressors. When you want to fatten up your tracks, don’t have a cow. Get some Moo in your music with the Moo Tube compressor.
The Compressor Collection is available to purchase for 99 EUR. The Rack Extensions are also sold separately for 39 EUR each.
More information: McDSP / Compressor Collection
Minimal System has announced that its Master Compressor VST plug-in for Windows is 50% off for a limited time.
The Master Compressor is an “analogue modelled mixing and mastering processor inspired by classic hardware, with an easy to use interface and accurate analogue character”.
Master Compressor features
- Beautiful analogue modelled compressor.
- Can be used on instrument tracks and the master buss.
- Lot of parameters allow you to really shape your sound.
- Clear GUI Design.
- Very low CPU usage.
The plug-in is available to purchase for £4.99 GBP until January 31st, 2013.
More information: Minimal System / Master Compressor