Manx has released version 2.0 of Bit-100, a synthesizer instrument for Windows based on the classic Crumar Bit-One analog polysynth.
Unfortunately, there are a few down sides to this machine – reliability, poor midi spec, missing features and an awkward programming interface are generally the most common grievances. Manx have cast those issues aside with the release of our Bit-100 software emulation of the original Bit One, which combines all of the punchy sound, plus the unique features of the Bit One (such as velocity control of pulse width), with all the advantages of a software implementation.
We’re not aware of any other synth which implements DCOs in quite the same way as the Crumar Bit range. In my opinion, they sound superb. Fortunately, they appear to lend themselves to digital emulation quite well.
Bit 100 v2 features
- 6 note polyphonic.
- Duophonic unison mode.
- MIDI learn for all parameters.
- Patch memory system with full library.
- Additional features byong the Bit One: PWM, Osc level, pitch bend range.
- Velocity sensitivity, assignable to PW & LFO rate as well as the more common destinations.
Bit-100 is available for purchase for the introductory price of $39 USD.
More information: Manx Synthesizers / Bit-100
Wavesfactory releases Retro Keys I, a Kontakt library featuring 3 keyboards from the 70s.
Retro Keys I is a collection of 3 libraries based on famous keyboards from the 70s. Perfectly replicated with all the original features and more.
- The Compac is an electric piano made by Crumar in 1972 that features 3 piano sounds (piano, honky tonk and clavichord). Noise, envelope and cabinets also available.
- The Orchestrator was also made by Crumar in 1975, is an electric piano and a “string machine” with a brass simulator. Bass, brass, piano, clavichord, violin, cello; with vibrato, cabinets, noise, envelope and presets.
- The Organ X55 is a clonewheel made by Elka also in the 70s. Features 2 keyboards with 1 drawbar each, 3 piano sounds with optional sustain, percussion, 2 vibrato types, brilliance, cabinets, rotator, tube drive and a set of presets (including random values).
All keyboards have an option called “vintage”. When it’s active some effects are applied to give a very nice vintage vibe to the sound (tape distortion, compression, wow, flutter and speed variations). We love it and we’re sure you’ll love it too.
The library is available for the introductory price of 9.95 EUR until November 1st, 2014 (regular 19.95 EUR).
More information: Wavesfactory / Retro Keys I
Cluster Sound has announced Multiman, a free Ableton Live library featuring the sounds of the Multiman-S string synthesizer.
Released in the 1977 by the Italian Crumar, the Multiman-S (called Orchestrator in the USA) is a fully polyphonic orchestral string synthesizer. Used by artists like Klaus Schulze, Tangerine Dream and Kraftwerk, this vintage analog machine appears both in ‘70s rock songs and old school electronic tracks.
Multiman is a Live Pack is based on 5 multi-sample recordings obtained by sampling the five preset sounds: Brass, Piano, Clavichord, Cello and Violin. Multiman delivers 25 Live Presets each of which consists of 61 perfecly looped samples (each note of the 5-octave keyboard).
- 140 MB conent, 24-bits/44.1kHz.
- 6 multi-sample recordings (332 samples).
- One sample per note (5 octaves).
- Perfect loop-points (no crossfading).
- 25 Live Presets.
- Sampler/Simpler compatible.
The sound pack is a free download at Cluster Sound. Requires Ableton Live 9.
More information: Cluster Sound / Multiman
Synth Magic has released Sounds of the Trilogy, a virtual instrument library for Native Instruments Kontakt, based on the 1980’s Crumar Trilogy analogue synthesiser.
A Kontakt library of the Trilogy 1980’s analog synthesizer, ensemble synth & organ.
2Gb of samples taken from the Trilogy, including lots of sounds made on the the Trilogy synth section. 3 timbre settings of the analogue ensemble section have been sampled and can be selected by the 3 position Timbre dial. The Trilogy has an organ section and this has also been sampled. Sounds can then be layered.
All these samples are controlled by a custom Kontakt user interface. Interface graphics have been designed by renound GUI designer Anders Hedstrom (Flavours of Lime).
The main synth section of this Kontakt instrument has a collection of Trilogy synth section samples at it’s heart. All samples are streamed from disk to allow a very small memory footprint and are easily selected from the custom drop down menu system of the user interface.
The ensemble sound of the Trilogy can be used to create Jarre Oxygene type strings and lots of other types of analogue ensemble strings. Lots of extras have been added such as Formant filters, Phase animators, auto panners, extra effects, tape saturation etc.
Sounds of the Trilogy features
- 2GB of samples, easily accessed from GUI menu.
- Custom GUI by Flavours of Lime.
- 150 presets.
- Synth section.
- Ensemble section.
- Effects section.
The sound library is available to purchase for the introductory price of £15 GBP until October 1st, 2013.
More information: Synth Magic / Sounds of the Trilogy
The Interruptor has announced the release of Night Flight, a virtual analogue string ensemble synthesizer instrument for Windows.
Night Flight emulates analogue string ensemble keyboards invented in the early 70’s.
String machines have been widely used in Pop, Rock, Funk, Reggae, Soul, and Disco music throughout the seventies and up to the early eighties when they were popular with New Wave acts. In recent years the sound has stirred interest again due to it’s distinct character and undeniable vintage charm.
“Night Flight” does not use any samples. It is based on an emulation of the ensemble effect first used by Eminent / Solina back in 1972 and an organ-like sound generation (octave divider). You will also find a number of features inspired by other string machines like the 3 band equalizer from the Crumar Performer or the Envelope Filter on the very rare ARP String Synthesizer.
Night Flight features
- 3 Oscillators (8 waveforms, pulse width control).
- Up to three simultaneous ensemble effects modelled on the eminent/solina architecture. Full access to the internal parameters of the ensemble effects.
- Optional divide-down mode featuring organ style phase-locked octaves.
- 3-Band Equalizer: Each band can be configured and automated via the LFO.
- Filter: 5 modes (LP2, LP4, BP, HP2, HP4), resonance, cutoff modulation via ADSR envelope, LFO, velocity or keyfollow.
- Amplifier section:
- Attack and Release. Decay and Sustain are available as under-the-hood parameters.
- For each oscillator a simple organ envelope can be selected as an alternative to the ADSR envelope.
- 1 LFO routable to pitch (vibrato), Filter cutoff or equalizer automation. Optional note sync.
- Selectable keyboard split points for bass and string footages.
- Effects section:
- phaser (two models) + delay/echo.
- configurable effect routing.
Night Flight for Windows (VST) is available to purchase for the introductory price of $9 USD until April 15th, 2013.
More information: The Interruptor / Night Flight
Rhythmic Robot has released Analog Piano, a Kontakt instrument based on an entirely analogue electronic piano. Analog Piano is sampled from a 1970s Crumar ColorSound electronic piano, an all-analogue stage piano capable of generating three … read more
Manx has recently released the Bit100, a virtual synthesizer instrument for Windows. Consider the great analog synthesizers of the 1980’s: Roland Jupiter 8, Rhodes Chroma, Elka Synthex, Crumar Bit One. Well, That last one may … read more
UVI has announced String Machines, a hybrid instrument forged with the analog imprint of the 11 most musical string synthesizers ever built. Back in the 70’s, leading keyboard designers around the world attempted to reproduce … read more
Outbound link: UVI
/ String Machines
– Related: AU
, instrument plugins
, string machine
Posted in news
on May 01, 2012 - 0 comments
Big Fish Audio has released Solid State, a retro synth collection sample library featuring rare vintage preset keyboards and electro-mechanical devices. Solid State takes you on a journey to another age, an excursion deep into … read more
WOK has releasedCromina String Machine, a virtual string machine synthesizer plug-in for Windows. After more than one year of development we are glad to present you this physical modeling recreation of the electronic strings sound … read more
WOK has announced the Cromina String Machine, a virtual string machine synthesizer for Windows. After more than one year of development we are glad to present you this physical modeling recreation of the electronic strings … read more
NUSofting has released Strings Dream Synthesizer, a virtual string machine, able to reproduce an infinite array of rich analog pads. Strings Dream Synthesizer is able to reproduce the infinite array of rich, analogue pads from … read more
NUSofting has announced Strings Dream Synthesizer, a virtual instrument that is able to reproduce the infinite array of rich, analogue pads from the most famous strings machines in synthesizer history. Emulate the classic Eminent Solina … read more
Zero-G has announced Phaedra, a Kontakt Player 2 virtual instrument featuring over 4 gigabytes of sounds. Phaedra producer Sam Spacey writes: Phaedra was primarily born out of two of my frustrations….. The lack of raw … read more
, instrument plugins
, Native Instruments
Posted in news
on Jan 03, 2008 - 0 comments
easy#toolz has released two new VST instrument plug-ins for Windows PC: easy-crumar-ms and easy-cembalo. easy-crumar-ms is a freeware 12-voice Crumar Multiman S emulation. It features 6 sounds (Bass, Brass, Cellos, Violins, Piano, Clavi), and a … read more