Juno Ju-X has released Hosting AU, a microDAW application for hosting AudioUnit plugins.
For the first serve, here I release Hosting AU microDAW. This is a micro-sized Digital Audio Workstation for OSX that hosts Audio Unit synth and effect plugins, comes with 4ch+1 mixer with ext-audio input, 24-bit recorder, Music-Typing kind of feature called “LazyKey”.
For who has Sequera or 3rd party MIDI sequencer, you can make any kind of music that focuses on simplicity (for dancing or whatever!) You can think it like using a 4ch MTR.
Hosting AU is available to download as freeware for Mac OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard or later.
More information: Juno Ju-X / Hosting AU
XT Software has released version 2.7 of energyXT, the music production software for Windows, Mac and Linux.
With energyXT you can focus on the music, instead of becoming distracted by tons of features you don’t need.
Changes in energyXT v2.7
- Track presets.
- Add up to 8 favorite VST params for each track (using VST plugin) in the mixer with MIDI controller support.
- Added support for VST IO changes.
- Added level per audio clip.
- The Editor Tab buttons can now be merged with main menu to save screen space (on by default).
- Preview loops in browser will now play in sync with song.
- Mixer strip in sequencer now has audio output selector by track (and not per VST) for multi-out VST plug-ins.
- Added transpose buttons to object bar.
- New mixer panel in sequencer (like in v1.4).
- Render audio to drum pad.
- Record VST automation with MIDI controllers (using favorite params mapping on track).
- Added Favorites section to browser.
- Recording audio will now name the recorded files using the track name.
- Drag & drop plugins on to MIDI tracks will now replace current plugin (s), unless shift or alt is pressed.
- Copy/paste controller data.
- Drag samples from audio pool to sampler.
- Use Alt + Shift + Up/Down to change velocity and controllers by +/- 1.
- Add MIDI track from track menu.
- MIDI to markers on/off is now saved per project (and not global option).
- Invert selection.
- Rewind will now restart current marker in marker-track mode.
- Nicer logo in titlebar.
- Fixed a multi-timbral bug as MIDI events was not sent in sorted order when multiple tracks routed to the same instrument.
- EQ track automation had the numbers of EQ 1-4 reversed, now fixed.
- Fixed bug with recording the EQ gain knob.
- You can now modify the selected pitch bend event in objectbar.
- Copy/paste controllers in to part didn’t work when mouse was inside the controllers lanes, now fixed.
- Object bar didn’t display note length in last beat, now fixed.
- Fixed crash when loading XTC clips with missing VST plugin.
- Fixed crash when adding MIDI out device to a tack containing a VST.
- Fixed issue with custom volume knob image and old skin. Skins made in 2.7 beta v2 may have to be fixed manually.
- Duplicate track will now also copy arp data.
- Enter values for velocity and controller data manually in object bar.
- Added speedbuttons for transposing by octave in objectbar.
- Width of track panel now saved with project.
- Added mute/solo highlight state in GUI editor.
- Fixed bug with arp and hanging notes.
- Fixed bug with dragging automation and parts with trimmed start.
- Fixed some flatten bugs related to sample rate.
- Fixed bugs with SF2 loop points and sample rate.
- Fixed step rec bug on Linux.
- Will now show warning when trying to overwrite read-only project.
energyXT is on sale for 39 EUR (regular 59 EUR).
More information: XT Software
Bitwig has released version 1.0.8 of Bitwig Studio, a music production software for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
From sound design to music creation, discover the new standard in customized workflow. Bitwig Studio inspires you to take greater control of your productions, giving you access to every aspect of your workflow as needed. Streamline your creative process and quickly take your music from ideas to complete songs, tracks and compositions. With Bitwig Studio, you’re in command of a workflow that works best for you.
Changes in Bitwig Studio v1.0.8
- FIXED Modulated value pie was not shown correctly for some values.
- FIXED Changing the length of multiple selected notes spread over multiple clips in track note editor behaves erratic.
- FIXED Visual glitch in preview when drawing expression events over multiple audio events using pencil tool.
- [1.0.8 RC3] IMPROVED Added symmetry control to distortion device which controls the mix of even/odd harmonics.
- [1.0.8 RC3] IMPROVED Added Slope control for the decay of the E-Hat device.
- [1.0.8 RC3] IMPROVED Better solo behavior for return tracks.
- [1.0.8 RC3] IMPROVED Note pencil tool should disconnect mouse cursor during dragging to avoid limitations of movement.
- [1.0.8 RC3] IMPROVED Can’t drop MIDI file on existing track.
- [1.0.8 RC3] IMPROVED Use pixel threshold for adjusting note length and velocity using pencil tool.
- [1.0.8 RC3] IMPROVED Individual note-length memory per track.
- [1.0.8 RC3] IMPROVED Changed default install location for windows installer not to include the version number, which was causing shortcuts to the executable to stop working after upgrading.
- [1.0.8 RC3] IMPROVED Allow release-candidate builds to be installed in without uninstalling the normal builds on windows.
- [1.0.8 RC3] IMPROVED EQ2/5 display now show modulation.
- [1.0.8 RC3] FIXED External instrument didn’t send MIDI CC to the selected channel.
- [1.0.8 RC3] FIXED Sampler playback was missing the first 7 samples of the attack.
- [1.0.8 RC3] FIXED MIDI drag&drop from microtonic didn’t work on windows.
- [1.0.8 RC3] FIXED Wrong default value for Step MOD (32/1).
- [1.0.8 RC3] FIXED metadata with sub-paths (shell plugs-ins/soundfont patches) no longer work.
- [1.0.8 RC3] FIXED When adjusting note velocity, only audition changes when auditioning is actually enabled.
- [1.0.8 RC3] FIXED Hanging note when auditioned track changes while a key on the piano roll keyboard is pressed.
- [1.0.8 RC3] FIXED Quantize regression: quantizing a chord kills all but one note.
- [1.0.8 RC3] FIXED Crash when moving track with clips into FX section and then moving it out again.
- [1.0.8 RC2] FIXED Crash on startup of fresh install.
- [1.0.8 RC2] FIXED Random crashes when using library.
- [1.0.8 RC2] FIXED Recover the latest state of a plugin when recovering documents.
- [1.0.8 RC2] FIXED Crash when exporting empty arrangement as MIDI file.
- [1.0.8 RC2] FIXED There’s no way to remove a bookmark from the browser.
- [1.0.8 RC1] NEW Automatically backup the state of plugins every minute when the engine is not playing.
- [1.0.8 RC1] NEW MIDI file export.
- [1.0.8 RC1] IMPROVED Importing type-0 MIDI files should split events into different tracks based on MIDI channels.
- [1.0.8 RC1] IMPROVED Importing MIDI file should consider track name metadata.
- [1.0.8 RC1] IMPROVED Importing MIDI file should consider tempo meta events.
- [1.0.8 RC1] IMPROVED Allow to adjust note length and velocity when inserting notes via double click and drag.
- [1.0.8 RC1] IMPROVED Allow velocity adjustment when drawing notes using pencil tool by dragging vertically.
- [1.0.8 RC1] IMPROVED Audition notes when clicking on them (if enabled).
- [1.0.8 RC1] IMPROVED Avoid note start jumping when using note pencil tool.
- [1.0.8 RC1] IMPROVED Remember last note length when using pencil tool for notes.
- [1.0.8 RC1] IMPROVED Improved efficiency of monitoring library locations when new files are copied or deleted from library locations.
- [1.0.8 RC1] IMPROVED Audition notes (if enabled) when adjusting note velocity.
- [1.0.8 RC1] IMPROVED Change the minimum LFO rate in various devices to 0.01Hz and minimum synced rate to 32/1.
- [1.0.8 RC1] IMPROVED Better VST keyboard handling on windows.
- [1.0.8 RC1] IMPROVED Normal sustain pedal behavior.
- [1.0.8 RC1] FIXED device controller mappings didn’t reload correctly after saving them.
- [1.0.8 RC1] FIXED Split at onset wasn’t limited to the range of the selected event (s).
- [1.0.8 RC1] FIXED PDC for meters & automation limited to 32768 samples.
- [1.0.8 RC1] FIXED Graphical glitch in note expressions.
- [1.0.8 RC1] FIXED Crash when reversing very long files.
- [1.0.8 RC1] FIXED Saving a clip with a device containing a layer device in a slot would crash.
- [1.0.8 RC1] FIXED Bouncing sometimes missed notes if it was started at the exact same location as the transport last stopped.
- [1.0.8 RC1] FIXED Novation Launchpad does not work on Linux.
- [1.0.8 RC1] FIXED Crash when saving plugin state for a plugin that is no longer in the document.
- [1.0.8 RC1] FIXED Removing a directory under a library location that started with the same name as another directory alongside it would remove indexed information for the other directory too.
- [1.0.8 RC1] FIXED Dragging note or audio event start can result in overlapping notes.
- [1.0.8 RC1] FIXED Changing velocity in piano roll editor via Ctrl/Cmd+Shift+Drag should also work when the target note is not selected yet.
- [1.0.8 RC1] FIXED Stretching audio events might result in overlapping events.
- [1.0.8 RC1] FIXED Crash when splitting at onsets, then quantising to wider grid than event lengths, then dragging event start.
- [1.0.8 RC1] FIXED Rare crash when double-clicking on clip in clip-launcher to show its contents.
- [1.0.8 RC1] FIXED Note velocity cannot be changed by dragging not with modifier if note is not selected.
- [1.0.8 RC1] FIXED Random crash when tooltip hides on Mac OS X.
- [1.0.8 RC1] FIXED Crash when moving clip from effect to non-empty master track.
Bitwig Studio is available for purchase for 299 EUR / $399 USD.
More information: Bitwig
RSPE Audio Solutions has teamed up with Harrison to offer Mixbus V2.5 for the “No Brainer Deal” price of only $19.95 USD.
Mixbus is a full-featured DAW for multi-track recording, editing, mixing and mastering. The Mixbus mixer is designed by Harrison: the manufacturer of consoles used in the world’s most demanding music, film, and live performance facilities. Harrison consoles are known for their great-sounding EQ, filters, dynamics, and bus summing. If you find a music recording from the golden age of albums – the 70s and 80s – that has stood the test of time, it is likely that a Harrison console was used during the production. With the Harrison sound and a logical knob-per-function mixer interface, Mixbus invites you to produce recordings and mixes that will stand with the best.
Designed to complement your current setup with analog-style mixing, Mixbus is compatible with nearly any desktop running Windows, OSX, or Linux. Mixbus loads third-party plug-ins in common formats such as AU and VST. It also uses Harrison’s suite of plug-ins that are derived from the company’s analog and digital console processing. Mixbus and the Harrison plugins provide rock-solid mixing DSP typically reserved for high-end audio installations. Harrison has been a leader in digital audio technology for nearly 30 years.
In addition to program improvements, v2.5 includes three new plug-in demos from Harrison’s XTools for Mixbus plug-in series: the XT-EG Expander / Gate, the XT-DS De-Esser, and the innovative XT-VC Vocal Character plugin.
The XT-EG Expander / Gate provides fast gating or expansion with precision timing for demanding tracks. The XT-DS De-Esser uses proprietary processing to recognize voiced sibilance, so it can naturally de-ess your tracks. Finally, the XT-VC Vocal Character plug-in offers an innovative new way to adjust the character of your vocal recordings. It uses proprietary technology to track the pitch of the input signal, and applies EQ based on the note played.
The No Brainer Deal is available for purchase until midnight May 15th, 2014 (PDT).
More information: RSPE Audio
eXtream Software Development has released version 3.0 of its multitrack app Audio Evolution Mobile for Android, now featuring MIDI sequencing, virtual instruments and support for USB MIDI interfaces.
In combination with the app’s support for around 250 USB audio interfaces, this app can turn your Android tablet or phone into a powerful recording studio.
With the latest release, standard MIDI files can be imported or new MIDI tracks can be created using a piano roll editor, or recorded using a USB MIDI interface/keyboard. When used in combination with a USB audio interface for low latency, even virtual instruments can be played live.
The instruments are based on SoundFonts, with a free downloadable GS/GM SoundFont as standard. Commercial royalty-free SoundFonts will be available in the near future.
Audio Evolution Mobile for Android is available to purchase for 5.49 EUR. All MIDI functionality is available through an in-app purchase, priced at 4.49 EUR.
More information: eXtream Software Development
Native Instruments has launched version 2.1 of Maschine, the groove production studio for Windows and Mac.
The new Grit kick engine is a modern, versatile electronic kick drum – great for IDM and electro styles. The new Shaker Performer creates tweakable, natural-sounding shaker patterns automatically. And the sample recording screen now lets you sample directly to different pads.
New Kick Grit engine and Shaker Performer mode in Maschine 2.1.
Changes in Maschine v2.1
- Grit engine in Kick Drum Synth – The Grit kick is a modern, versatile electronic kick drum. Tuned loose, it’s deep, open, boomy, and airy. Tightened up, it adds punch and heft. At high tunings, it can become gritty and bitcrushed – great for IDM and electro styles.
- New shaker Performer mode in Percussion Drum Synth – Hold down a note, and the highly innovative Performer creates natural-sounding shaker patterns automatically. Tweak the feel of the groove in real time, and add fills and syncopated riffs, with adjustable swing, shuffle, and groove. Incredibly powerful for live performances.
- Sounds accessible on pads on sample recording screen.
- A batch function to set all sounds in a group to the same MIDI channel. MIDI export available on the Group and Sound levels.
- Undocked NI plug-in windows can be pinned to remain active when not in focus.
- Scenes can be selected/triggered via MIDI input when MASCHINE is running standalone.
- Mix page on MASCHINE and MASCHINE MK2 controllers has been expanded and now provides access to level and pan settings for groups and sounds.
- A setting that only turns the metronome on when the Record button is enabled.
- Real time group erase function.
- Shift functions allow fast scroll browsing.
- Play quantize option –notes played live on the pads are quantized in real time.
- Control software views from the navigate page on MASCHINE and MASCHINE STUDIO controllers.
- Instantiating the first plug-in on an empty sound updates the name of that sound to the plug-in name.
- Sound, group volume & pan knobs are only displayed on hover.
- ALT+Drag for copy-pasting single elements (patterns, scenes, plug-ins) in the Groups / Sounds lists and the plug-in chain.
- Browser performance improvements.
- Numerous bug fixes, as well as performance and stability improvements.
Maschine 2.1 is now available to download from the NI Service Center.
More information: Native Instruments / Maschine
Image-Line has announced the release of an alpha preview version of FL Studio 12, the music production software for Windows.
FL Studio customers you can now download the FL Studio 12 ALPHA-PREVIEW to give us feedback about the extensive workflow changes.
What’s this for?
We are looking for feedback about some of the major changes in workflow that have been made so far. Please try it out and let us know what you think of how it works. We’re not really looking for bug reports, at this time.
Changes in FL Studio 12 (alpha preview)
- Browser – The Browser has changed (now with category tabs and the ability to delete content on right-click).
- Channel Menu – The Channel Options Menu has moved from the Toolbar Menus to the Channel rack.
- Channel settings – Have been integrated into the Plugin Wrapper.
- Interface – Vectorial user interface. See Options > General Settings > GUI display.
- Per Channel Swing – The Channel Settings now has a ‘swing multiplier’ amount.
- Pattern Menu – The Pattern Menu has moved from the Channel rack to the Toolbar Menu and Pattern Selector.
- Piano roll – Piano roll Auto-zoom can now we deselected from Settings > General > Auto zoom in piano roll.
- Playlist – Multiple drag and drop for audio files onto Playlist (from a Windows file browser).
- Stepsequencer – Stepsequences are now interchangable with Piano rolls.
- VST Plugins – VST plugin installation has changed.
The alpha preview version (currently only 32-bit) is available to download to registered Image-Line users.
More information: Image-Line / FL Studio 12 alpha preview