Bartosz Kowalski and Joseph Chehade have launched a Kickstarter project for umidi, the world’s first custom DJ controller.
umidi is a custom DJ controller you design. Using our design interface, you can choose up to 36 components on a 6×6 grid including knobs, faders, encoders, jog wheels, and aluminium push buttons.
You can choose the way your components are positioned, colored, and the lighting shapes around each one. To personalize your controller further, you can have a custom image laser etched onto your umidi. You are able to build a completely unique controller.
We build your design and ship it directly to you anywhere in the world. Every controller is assembled and tested in our workshop.
The project aims to raise $20,000 AUD by Saturday Jan 18, 2014. You can pre-order the umidi controller by pledging at various levels.
More information: umidi / Kickstarter
Related: Akai Professional
Posted in news
on Nov 21, 2013
Numark has announced the availability of the NS7 II, a dramatically enhanced and updated version of the industry’s most advanced and best-selling 4-channel motorised DJ controller/mixer.
Numark has set a breathtaking pace for digital DJ’ing for more than 20 years, empowering DJs with cutting-edge technology to continually advance the art form to hitherto unparalleled heady heights. In 2007, Numark and Serato® unleashed the original NS7, a clever controller/mixer combo that brought a level of performance with digital media that had never before been achieved, accurately reproducing the look and feel of vinyl, beautifully blurring the boundaries between different DJ’ing eras so successfully that it made them almost indistinguishable. Since then, the powerful practice proffered by the NS7 has defined top-tier DJ performance, perfectly setting the bar by which all other controllers can be justifiably judged. Until now, that is!
Now Numark is pushing contemporary DJ performance capabilities even further forward with its all-new NS7 II, incorporating iconic technology from Akai Professional, music production technology trendsetter and creator of the MPC legendary lineup. The NS7 II’s 16 MPC® pads can be instantly assigned to control five dynamic performance features in Serato DJ — namely, CUES, AUTO/ROLL, LOOP, SAMPLER, and SLICER. Moreover, each pad features RGB illumination, allowing for an almost endless amount of colour variations via MIDI. Vinyl platter control has never felt more familiar courtesy of its high- and low-torque motorised platters with real slip mats and real vinyl sitting on 3,600 ticks of resolution!
NS7 II features
- 7-inch motorized turntables with ultra-high-resolution MIDI (3600 ticks per rotation).
- 4-channel mixer and 24-bit audio interface built in.
- 16 multi-color MPC® pads from Akai Professional.
- Capacitive touch-sensitive filter, EQ, and effects knobs.
- Genuine vinyl discs and real felt slipmats for unmatched tactile control.
- The most intuitive and seamless control for Serato DJ available.
- Connect and mix CD players, turntables, MP3 players, or any other external source.
- Mixer can operate standalone, with or without your computer.
- High- and low-torque turntable settings.
- Comprehensive Loop, Sample, Slicer, and Hot Cue controls.
- Strip Search™ virtual needle-drop technology.
- Serato DJ software included.
- Curve-adjustable CP-Pro crossfader.
- Dedicated iZotope® effects controls.
- Rugged all-metal construction.
The NS7 II costs 1,199 EUR / $1,499.95 USD / £999 GBP.
More information: Numark / NS7 II
Serato has released version 1.5.2 of its Serato DJ software.
This latest update for Serato DJ includes brand new FX powered by iZotope for Serato’s new FX Expansion Packs. Scrollable FX drop-down menus, support for the Vestax VCI-100 MKII, Numark MixDeck Quad and the brand new Pioneer DDJ-SB Serato DJ Intro controllers.
Changes in Serato v1.5.2
- Added Hardware Support
- Vestax VCI-100 mk II.
- Numark MixDeck Quad.
- Pioneer DDJ-SB.
- New Software Features
- New Chip Pack DJ FX Expansion Pack.
- Added scrollable FX drop down menus.
- Bug Fixes
- Fixed Novation Dicer showing unpredictable behavior.
- Fixed strip search on Numark NS7 always jumping to the beginning of a track.
- Fixed DDJ-SP1 so it can not enter Slicer Modes 1 & 2 when in ABS Mode.
- Fixed the platter resolution on the Vestax VCI-300.
- Fixed Novation Twitch pitch adjustment being latching when loading a new track.
- Fixed Novation Twitch effect depth on left hand deck sometimes not working .
- Fixed lighting on the Numark NS6 jog wheel.
- Fixed DDJ-WeGo Deck D platter controlling Deck A on the DDJ-WeGo.
- Fixed non adjustable upfader curve on the MixDeckQuad.
- Fixed Performance Pads 7 and 8 not turning off in sampler mode on the VCI-380.
- Fixed FX LEDs in Single Mode on Twitch.
- Fixed FX Scroll on Numark Mixdeck Pro.
- Fixed NS6 gets stuck in Beat Grid Slip Mode.
- Fixed VCI-380 Double track load.
- Fixed MC2000 gets stuck in Fast FWD/RWD mode when Shift is released first.
- Fixed brightness levels for Novation dicer in auto loop mode and inactive loops.
- Fixed wrong colour for cue button on the Novation Twitch.
- Other Changes
- Simple Upfader Start on the NS7 and NS7MKII: holding shift and using the upfader performs upfader start.
Serato DJ for Windows is available to purchase for $129 USD. The Chip Pack costs $19 USD.
More information: Serato
, Ms Pinky
Posted in news
on Nov 14, 2013
Stagecraft Software has launched Scratch Track, a virtual turntable instrument for Windows and Mac.
Add a turntable to your DAW with this simple plugin.
Supports almost every type of timecoded vinyl on the market (serato, traktor, MK2, torq, ms pinky), let’s you scratch tracks, samples, and even live input.
Has an adjustable crossfader curve for precision scratching, low latency, and cue points for playing samples in rapid fire. There is nothing else like it out there!
The Scratch Track for Windows and Mac (VST) is available to purchase for $20 USD.
More information: Stagecraft / Scratch Track
Elektron has announced it will launch its new product at Night of Machines, taking place November 23rd in Berlin.
A new machine from Elektron is on the horizon. To celebrate it, Elektron will throw a big party in Berlin.
The event is called Night of Machines, the date is set to November the 23rd, and during the evening the new machine will make its official debut.
The launch party will include live performances by Very Special Guest (Kompakt), TM-404—a.k.a Andreas Tilliander (Kontra-Musik), Cascandy (Monaberry), and Andre Kronert (Stockholm LTD, Neurotron), and DJ’s Dataline, and Marlon & Karxman.
The event will take place at Humboldthain in Berlin (doors open at 23:00 hours).
More information: Elektron / Night of Machines
Serato has released version 1.5 of its Serato DJ mixing software for Windows and Mac.
Serato DJ 1.5 is now available to download on serato.com.
This release supports a range of brand new hardware from industry leaders Pioneer and Rane, that work plug-and-play with Serato DJ, which now inherits our world class NoiseMap™ DVS technology.
As well as this, Serato DJ 1.5 also brings support for new controllers and existing Pioneer CDJ hardware.
Changes in Serato DJ v1.5
- Added Serato DJ Hardware Support
- Rane Sixty-Four
- Pioneer DJM-900SRT
- Pioneer DDJ-SR
- Numark NS7 II
- Added Serato DJ Accessory Support
- Pioneer DDJ-SP1
- Pioneer CDJ-2000nexus
- Pioneer CDJ-2000
- Novation Dicer
- New Software Features
- For Vinyl & CDJs
- Serato NoiseMap™ Digital Vinyl System Added.
- Absolute, Relative and Internal modes added.
- CD/Vinyl Mode Setup tab including Vinyl Control, Vinyl Start Offset and Needle Dropping Options.
- Calibration Scope Views for CD/Vinyl calibration.
- Deck Setup configuration area for Pioneer DJM-900SRT.
- Temp Cue functionality in DVS mode sets cue when platter is stopped and jumps to cue when playing.
- Emergency Internal Mode; When you reach the end of the record using either REL or ABS modes, Serato DJ automatically switches to INT mode.
- Safety Internal Mode; Control + Click the INT Mode button to switch to Safety Internal mode which will reset the tempo to zero, enable forward playback and disable sync.
- USB insert allows you to use the DJ-FX as post fader effects for the Rane Sixty-Four.
- For both Vinyl & CDJs and DJ Controllers
- Virtual deck headers have been standardized across Horizontal and Vertical display modes in both 2 Deck and 4 Deck modes.
- Introduced scrollable cue and loop containers.
- Sync Off and Snap to Beatgrid for Simple Sync options.
- Played Track Color blue/grey options.
- The cue point trigger button and cue point color button on the GUI have been merged. Control + Click the cue point trigger button to modify the cue point color. The cue point numbers have also been removed.
- Audio buffer size in DJ matches the value set in the ASIO control panel (for ASIO devices only).
- Bug Fixes
- Removed monitor (ch1/ch2) crossfader start on Numark NS7.
- Fixed touch strip on Numark NS7 so it can swipe to the first beat.
- Fixed fader start initialization problem on Numark NS7.
- Fixed initilization on Vestax VCI-380.
- Cleaned up vinyl button functions on Vestax VCI-400.
- Fix Twitch Channel/Master Level LED.
- Fixed stored loops lighting on Novation TWITCH.
- Fix Vestax VCI-300 LED’s so they show channel level with PFL is enabled.
- Other Changes
- Mapped Loop Shift L/R to Shift Switch on Numark Mixdeck.
- Added Loop Roll to the Numark NS6 & Numark NS7.
- Mapped Pitch Range on the Vestax VCI-400.
- Added Shift + Back button on the Numark MixDeck to do Library Navigation Forward.
Serato DJ is available to purchase for $129 USD. The version 1.5 update is now available to download.
More information: Serato
Related: audio interface
, Native Instruments
Posted in news
on Oct 01, 2013
Native Instruments has announced the release of new versions of the 4+1 channel DJ system TRAKTOR KONTROL S4 and its 2+1 channel counterpart, TRAKTOR KONTROL S2.
The S4 and S2 perfectly combine a premium DJ mixing interface, built-in 24 bit/96 kHz soundcard, and an intuitive interface engineered for seamless control of TRAKTOR software.
Both all-in-one DJ systems now offer an improved look and feel with added control over the latest TRAKTOR PRO 2 features. Furthermore, both the S4 and S2 are now plug-and-play with TRAKTOR DJ – the world’s most successful DJ app for iPad and iPhone.
Trusted by countless professional DJs for unparalleled creative possibilities and supreme work flow, the sharply redesigned TRAKTOR KONTROL S4 and S2 now feature color-coded RGB buttons that trigger and identify loops, cue points, and samples for improved visual feedback. Also upgraded are the high resolution jog-wheels, which now feature aircraft-grade aluminum plates for increased durability and performance. The advanced Flux Mode feature is now instantly accessible on the S4 and S2 via dedicated buttons on each deck, and TRAKTOR PRO 2’s Remix Deck controls can now be accessed directly from the units. TRAKTOR KONTROL S4 introduces a new separate booth output on the main out section of the rear panel which can be switched between Main or Booth, allowing for separate booth output volume – essential for many pro DJs.
In addition to offering all core TRAKTOR PRO 2 controls, the KONTROL S4 and S2 are now plug-and-play with TRAKTOR DJ – even more closely uniting hard and software. Both units deliver physical control for every function including cue points and Freeze Mode. Boasting a compact size, robust build, and innate TRAKTOR DJ integration, TRAKTOR KONTROL S2 is the ideal choice for iOS-based DJ setups.
Both TRAKTOR KONTROL S4 and S2 include a full version of the flagship TRAKTOR PRO 2 with Remix Decks® software, opening up a wealth of creative possibilities. TRAKTOR KONTROL S4 and S2 are now available in stores worldwide and at the NI Online Shop.
TRAKTOR KONTROL S4 is available to purchase for $799 USD / 799 EUR, TRAKTOR KONTROL S2 costs $499 / 499 EUR.
More information: Native Instruments
iThirtySeven has released version 1.1 of its iPro.DJSampler DJ app for iOS.
The App now includes a Free Effects Pack (which includes Reverb, Flanger, Delay, Filters & more) also in the update is wicked Free EDM Sample Pack & Audiobus support has been added.
The iPro.DJSampler been designed for specifically for DJs & Musicans to use live in their performances. Features available within the App include an XY Pad to control Effects to trick up samples, fast loading of Sample Packs & a powerful Time-Stretch feature.
And there’s an in-App iPro.DJSampler Store where users can buy Features & Sample Packs for the App, including EDM, Dubstep, Electro, Dutch House, Rap & Vocal Sample packs, and many big DJs, Artists & labels are already on board, including Sample Packs from some of the world’s biggest DJs & Labels.
Changes in iPro.DJSampler v1.1
- Audiobus Support.
- Effects Pack #01 is now FREE (including Reverb, Flanger, Delay, Filters & more).
- Free EDM Sample Pack Included.
- Fix for change in YouTube video format.
- Various Bug fixes.
The iPro.DJSampler for iOS is a free download at the iTunes App Store.
More information: iThirtySeven