Roland has introduced AIRA, a new hardware instrument Roland dubs “the evolution of the Roland TR-808 Rhythm Machine”.P
Roland Engineers discuss the initial concept of the TR-808 which was conceived and built in 1980.
Although it was designed to create “backing tracks”, creative musicians started to use the Rhythm Machine as an instrument and music changed forever. Now the evolution begins again.
More information: Roland
Singular Sound has launched a crowdfunding campaign to support the production of its BeatBuddy, the world’s first guitar pedal drum machine.
Unlike all current drum machines, the BeatBuddy is in a pedal format, granting musicians a previously unobtainable ability — hands-free, creative control of a beat. This gives solo musicians the benefit of drums without a drummer.
“Drummers are hard to come by, and drum sets are even harder to carry,” said founder and developer David Packouz, “and drum machines are practically useless for jamming or live performance. The BeatBuddy is the first product to solve this fundamental problem. It’s the power of a drum machine, but the simplicity of a pedal.”
- Hands-free live control of the beat: Inserts fills, transitions from verse to chorus, adds accent hits (e.g. cymbal crashes or hand claps).
- Pre-loaded with 10 drum sets and over 200 songs.
- Any custom beat or drum set can be loaded through included computer software .
- MIDI Sync: Integrates with other MIDI devices .
- Convenient small single-pedal format.
The BeatBuddy is expected to be available in August, 2014, at a retail price of $350 USD. Indiegogo campaign supporters can get one for $199 USD with an expected delivery in April, 2014.
More information: BeatBuddy
Samples From Mars has launched its TR 909 Samples Library, a collection of raw TR 909 samples reecorded to tape.
If you’re after raw, banging 909 samples, look no further. To finish off our Drum Machine Samples Collection we’ve taken a Roland TR 909 Drum Machine and recorded it through a legendary SSL 4000 G+ analog console to a mastering reel to reel 1/4″ tape machine.
After using various high end processing (almost exclusively analog), we edited every hit by hand, and arranged the best ones into corresponding folders, named simply and sorted chromatically for maximum ease of use.
TR 909 Samples Library features
- 332 24bit, royalty free TR 909 samples recorded through an SSL Console to tape.
- Every hit has been re-pitched extensively & arranged by tuning.
- 72 deep kick drums, ranging from clean to dirty, low to hi.
- 61 punchy & saturated snares.
- 199 additional Claps, Hi Hats, Toms, Rims, & more.
The sample pack costs $18 USD.
More information: Samples From Mars / TR 909 Samples Library
Forgotten Keys has released FK15, a virtual Bentley (Ace Tone) Rhythm Ace FR-3 analogue drum machine for Native Instruments Kontakt.
Unusual for a rhythm unit of this era, the FR-3 boasts sounds that are accentuated on certain beats, mainly with the latin rhythms. This has been re-created along with all the rhythms in this virtual instrument for the full version of Kontakt.
The FK15 features isolated multi-samples of each drum sound – some at four accent levels – and re-creations of all the internal rhythm patterns. The patterns can be combined with each other just like the original. The volume, panning, tuning and mute status of each sound can be adjusted, and the MIDI input and audio output routing can be customised.
The sample library costs £4 GBP.
More information: Forgotten Keys / Ace Tone Rhythm Ace FR-3
Desert Sound Studios has released DR-550 Sample Kit, a free electronic drum sample pack.
Includes all of the original samples of the Boss DR-550, a late 80′s digital drum machine.
The kit includes 83 drum samples in 24-bit WAV format.
Each sample was carefully recorded through a Focusrite ISA preamp and RME analog to digital converters.
The pack is a free download at Desert Sound Studios.
More information: Desert Sound Studios
Franke Music has announced the release of Stroke Machine, a drum and groove synthesizer for the iPad.
Stroke Machine is a professional Drum and Groove Synthesizer and Sequencer for the iPad developed by Wolfram Franke.
Program your own rhythm and groove patterns and switch between them in a live performance. Mute or solo individual instruments, change parameters on the fly and record your performance as high-quality audio file for sharing or later editing on your computer.
The high-contrast user interface is perfectly suited for dim light situations on stage and assists in sound creation in the studio.
Stroke Machine’s powerful synthesizer engine features high-quality Oscillator, Filter, Overdrive and Effect models, extremly fast Envelopes and LFO, sample-exact Pattern Sequencer and a sophisticated Sample, Sound and Pattern library.
Stroke Machine features
- 12 drum and percussion sound parts.
- 12 melodic sound parts.
- Number of voices only limited by CPU.
- Four multi-effect busses.
- Pattern with up to eight bars and 16th resolution, bar nominator and denominator freely adjustable.
- 128 patterns including all sounds in direct access.
- Modulation sequencer for smooth or quantised automation of each continuous sound and bus parameter.
- Track and solo mute.
- Sample import.
- Audio export of a pattern or the whole performance.
- AudioBus Support.
- WIST support.
Stroke Machine is available for the introductory price of 13.99 EUR/$14.99 USD from December 20th to 26th, 2013 (regular 17.99 EUR/$19.99 USD).
More information: Franke Music
Ola Wistedt has announced version 2.0 of TheDrumSource, a free sample-based drum machine instrument for Windows.
It has a sequencer and a built in sample browser. It looks and “feels” like a classic (x0x) hardware drum machine.
TheDrumSource is designed with the purpose to be very simple and easy to work with even if you are used to work with hardware drum machines or not.
The sequencer has 24 sequences (16/32/64/128 bars) for your patterns.
Changes in TheDrumSource v2.0
- New sequencer engine (much more accurate).
- 16/32/64/128 sequences choosable for each pattern.
- Pan knobs.
- Swing mode on choosable channels.
- A sample package created by Mats Lindfors will be included in the installation.
- A preset to get started faster.
The plug-in is a free download for Windows (VST).
More information: TheDrumSource
AudioRealism has announced its Holiday Sale, offering a 30.3% discount on its plug-ins and bundles for a limited time.
December 11th, 2013 Snow-storm Xmas / New Years sale! 30.3% Off all Plug-ins and Bundles!
AudioRealism Holiday Sale
- AudioRealism Bass Line 2, AudioRealism Drum Machine, AudioRealism Bass Line Pro are all just 67 EUR (regular 95 EUR).
- The ABL2 and ADM bundle is now 102 EUR (regular 145 EUR).
- The Complete Bundle (ABL2+ADM+ABL Pro) is 137 EUR (regular 195 EUR).
The sale ends January 1st, 2014.
More information: AudioRealism