XILS-lab has announced the release of XILS 4, a virtual modular synthesizer instrument for Windows and Mac.
The XILS 4 emulates a prototype that was never released, the EMS VCS4, based on two integrated, interlinked and interacting VCS 3 (Synthi) cores. We also coupled them with the famous 256 analog polysequencer.
Like the 2nd huge Pin Matrix, and its numerous additional modules: Envelopes, LFOs, S&H, Voltage Processor, Pitch Tracker, Transient etc. Or the recreation of the unique, powerfull 256 analog Polysequencer, intimately tied to the synthesis engines. Add to that the analog Chorus (3 modes) Delay and Phaser, the Spring Reverb, and the picture emerges.
XILS 4 is available for purchase for the introductory price of 149 EUR (regular 179 EUR). This offer includes a free USB-eLicenser, and XILISTICS soundset (160+ patches). XILS 3 users can upgrade for 29 EUR.
More information: XILS-lab / XILS 4
XILS-lab has announced the release of XILS 3 v2.0, an updated version of its authentic-sounding software emulation of the vintage EMS VCS3 portable analogue synthesizer.
The XILS 3 V2.0 not only emulates the Synthi (VCS 3) modular synthesizer, it also adds an emulation of the 256 Analog Sequencer, the natural companion of the VCS 3.
Is that all? No, of course, we added a SECOND Matrix, with 2 additional envelopes, one LFO, a detailed Sample and Hold module, and a Voltage processor…
And some input modules : Gate, Transient, Envelope Follower and Pitch Tracker to transform the XILS 3 into an advanced Effect Processor! This means hundreds of additional connections. Add to the pile the analog chorus with its three modes, the analog delay and the phaser… the picture emerges.
XILS 3 v2.0 features
- 6 Oscillators grouped in 3 pairs, with WaveShaping (on sine wave, saw, triangle and square).
- 1 Noise Oscillator (With Noise color).
- 1 Analog Filter, Non Linear and zero delay Behaviors, with 3 Modes (12/18/24 dB LowPass).
- 3 Trapezoidal Envelope Generators, Looping EG in the time of analog (Switchable to ADSR).
- 2 Polyphonic LFOs (including 1 Oscillator acting as LFO at audiorate).
- Polyphonic Ring Modulator.
- 2 independent outputs feeding the Stereo Bus, each with one analog Lp/Hp filter.
- Programmable Joystick Vector Controller (up to 32+32 modulation targets).
- Polyphonic Sequencer with 3 independent lines, Slew rates, 3 recording modes.
- Sequencer can behave as modulation source.
- Pitch Tracker, Envelope Follower, Transient, Gate, Sample & Hold Modules.
- Chorus, Delay, Spring Reverb.
- 6 Play modes (including Unison 2/4/6), Polyphonic and mono Portamento/Glissando/Legato, 2 different Keyboard Scaling, Polyphonic Aftertouch and VCA handling.
- Hundreds of presets made by worldwide famous Sound Designers.
- Preset Database Engine (Find the right patch in a flash, create your own tags).
- Comprehensive manual with a getting started and tutorial sections.
- Instrument or Effect plug-in.
XILS 3 is available for purchase for the introductory price of 120 EUR until May 1st, 2014 (regular 149 EUR). The XILISTICS sound bank for XILS 3 with 160-plus presets (25 EUR value) is included with this offer. XILS 3 requires eLicenser or iLok.
More information: XILS-lab / XILS 3
Point Blank Online has introduced a free Modular Synth plug-in for Max for Live by tutor Daniel Herbert.
The Point Blank modular synth is based on the legendary EMS VCS3. The VCS3 was built in London in the late ’60s and there were a number of subsequent models of varying sizes. It was a popular synth and used by the Radiophonic Workshop (the ring modulator was used to process the sound of the daleks) through to Pink Floyd.
It’s a great synth to generate sounds and jam around with and the interface was really well thought out, featuring an innovative matrix which is still a neat way to patch the different synth sections together. It features three oscillators, a noise generator, a ring modulator, a couple of filter sections, audio input, envelope generator, spring reverb and an assignable joystick control – if you really wanted you could even hook up a keyboard!
The Point Blank modular synth is a simpler interface, but still offers three oscillators and noise generator, a filter section, ring modulator and X/Y controller. Unlike the VCS3, it’s possible to store your settings, and trigger the sounds easily (and in tune!) from a MIDI source. We’ve also included a slide control to emulate the smooth sweeps you could sometimes achieve with the original synth.
The modular synth is a free download for Point Blank Facebook fans.
More information: Point Blank / Modular Synth
Samplephonics has released VCS3: Uncooperative Sequences, a sample library by Paul Rez.
Paul Rez (Analogue Witchcraft, Voodooteque) returns with another pack of genre bending, ear tingling samples, this time incorporating analogue synth loops from the mighty EMS VCS3.
This devious synth truly has a mind of it’s own, but after a lot of kicking and screaming and wrestling in to place, it can deliver some rather exceptional loops and industrial sounds.
VCS3 Uncooperative Sequences features
- 228 4 Bar Synth Loops.
- 700MB (24 Bit Wav).
- Organised into folders ‘Attack Button Melodies’, ‘Hertz Locker’, ‘How Deep Is Your Envelope’, ‘The Analogue Haka’ and ‘Trapezoid Two-step.’
The sample library costs £34.70 GBP.
More information: Samplephonics
Sebastian Tomczak of Little-Scale has released two new free sample packs.
Free sample packs featuring the Roland JV-30 and the VCS3 Synthi by EMS.
New sample packs at little-scale
- Roland JV-30 Ensemble Sounds—One hundred and twenty-four delicious ensemble sounds recorded directly from a JV-30 keyboard synthesizer.
- VCS3 Synthi Percussion—Twenty six tasty percussive sounds recorded directly from an EMS VCS3 Synthi synthesizer.
The sample packs are royalty free, copyright free, license free, and restriction free.
More information: Little-Scale
The Electronic Garden has released Joystick Journeys – The VCS3 Collection, a sample library featuring sounds from the EMS VCS3.
This particular collection of samples was created in order to capture the VCS3 in all its chaotic (and sometimes noisy) glory. This isn’t your run-of-the-mill synth collection. Yes, there are a number of chromatically “in-tune” patches, multi-sampled up the keys.
Many of these were created with the help of Expert Sleepers’ awesome Silent Way MIDI-to-CV conversion software (http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/), but many of them were made by painstakingly adjusting the VCS3′s “Scale” knobs. Why? Because that’s the way my heroes did it way back in the 1970s. It means that sometimes the oscillators surge and beat against one another in interesting ways, especially when the matrix is full of pins!
Joystick Journeys – The VCS3 Collection features
- Over 850 16/44.1 kHz and 24-bit/44.1 kHz .wav format samples.
- Over 70 patches for Kontakt.
- 101 REX files, tempos 100, 110 and 120 BPM.
Joystick Journeys – The VCS3 Collection is available to purchase for $20 USD.
More information: The Electronic Garden / Joystick Journeys – The VCS3 Collection
KX77FREE has released updates for Kx-Modulad and KX-SYNTH-X16, two free virtual synthesizer instruments for Windows.
Kx-Modulad is an analog modular synthesizer with stereo SF2 player and an additive synthesis WaveTracer to build high quality waveforms. 128 KX presets (70′s and 80′s).
KX-SYNTH-X16 is a vintage modular polyphonic synthesizer, based on the VCS3 structure.
Changes in Kx-Modulad v2.3
- Vco2 improvement when it is synchronized by the Vco1 with the possibility to reduce the high frequencies modulations.
- SF2 player improvement with the possibility to choice if the samples change following the pitch or not (Mod), useful for SF2 drum sets.
- Fixed: Now the probability to have audio clicks at the end of no looped sf2 samples is very low, tested with various sf2 banks.
- Fixed: The buffer size of the delays has been decreased to 5 sec to avoid a crash when the amount of the modulation is at max.
Changes in KX-SYNTH-X16 v3.3
- Vco1 improvement when it is synchronized by the Vco2 with the possibility to reduce the high frequencies modulations.
- Possibility to verify the Meter signal (all voices) before its ouput level and now the Meter output level is not linked with the Midi Prg Change.
- The Vca knob controls the vca level when the Mod envelop is used to modulate the vca level.
Kx-Modulad to v2.3 and KX-SYNTH-X16 for Windows (VST) are available as freeware.
More information: KX77FREE