Aly James Lab has released Super PSG (Super Portable Sound Generator), a synthesizer instrument for Windows that emulates the SN76489 Sega Master System sound chip, and more.
SPSG is not simply an SN76489 emulator, it adds many extended features to squeeze to most of the sound chip and a huge user friendly GUI! It is a fantastic synth suitable for chip music and SEGA nostalgic pleasure and also a powerful 8-bit tool for modern music production.
You can design typical and not so typical sounds of that era and experiment from the presets already available. Go further with extended controls, and even midi control a real SN76489 sound chip with a special hardware that YOU can built. The system also works with the GENMDM interface designed
by Little Scale.
The plugin is available for Windows (VST) as donationware (minimum donation of $10 USD).
More information: Aly James Lab / Super PSG
u-he has released a new public beta version of the Satin tape machine effect plug-in for Windows and Mac.
Here’s a new version of Satin 1.1.1 (might become Satin 1.2):
Satin rev 2033 Win
Satin rev 2033 Mac
Apart from the good points we had in build 1973 (faster loading, less RAM, less CPU/denormals etc. etc.) this one
- fixes possible crash bug in VST3 (Wavelab)
- fixes possible crash bug in Group Controller
- fixes problem with hosts picky about channel layouts
- more fixes of little issues and niggles
Visit the u-he forum at KVR Audio for more details and make sure to let the u-he team know if you experience any issues.
More information: u-he / Satin
Icebreaker Audio has released Calc-U-Synth VR for Reaktor, an emulation of the classic Casio VL-Tone calculator/synthesizer combo from the ’80s.
Calc-U-Synth VR is a re-creation of the programmable Casio VL-Tone synthesizer for Native Instruments Reaktor 5.
Precise measurements of the VL-Tone’s volume envelope, vibrato, and tremolo were then gathered in order to faithfully emulate the whole instrument in Reaktor.
This library was designed in order to present the full capabilities of the VL-Tone’s programmable features in a more convenient interface, while retaining the character of the original instrument.
Calc-U-Synth VR features
- Full emulation of the Casio VL-Tone’s programmable synth engine.
- Built-in tempo-sync delay effect.
- Speaker emulation with room simulation.
- Additional “Bend” controls: Glitch and Filter.
- Key-Click noise control.
The Calc-U-Synth VR for Reaktor is available to purchase for £4.50 GBP / $7 USD.
Icebreaker Audio has also announced a bundle sale, offering all its bundles at a 50% discount until November 30th, 2013.
More information: Icebreaker Audio / Calc-U-Synth VR
u-he has released public beta revision 1973 of its Satin tape machine effect plug-in for Windows and Mac.
Users familiar with analogue recording gear should instantly feel at home with Satin, and digital afficionados will also learn to love the magic of tape – Satin invites you to explore and find out for yourself.
Changes in Satin rev1973
- Ultra-fast gui loading (we hope).
- Denormals fixed on AAX.
- Fixed CPU spikes on playback start.
- Fixed too much RAM use.
- No more excessive dynamic latency reporting.
- Shift-mousewheel works on AU as well now.
The public beta is available to download for Windows and Mac from the u-he forum at KVR Audio.
More information: u-he / Satin
, Abbey Road
, effect plugins
Posted in news
on Oct 15, 2013
Waves and Abbey Road Studios have launched the J37 tape saturation plugin, a precision model of the very machine used to record many of the greatest masterpieces in modern music.
With a variety of user-adjustable controls including Tape Speed, Bias, Noise, Saturation, Wow and Flutter, the Waves: Abbey Road J37 faithfully recreates the inimitable sonic signature of the original machine. In addition to the J37 itself, three exclusive oxide tape formulas have been modeled.
Specially developed by EMI during the ‘60s and ‘70s, each formula has its own unique frequency response and harmonic distortion behavior. In order to push the envelope even further, a comprehensive Tape Delay unit has been added to complement those warm tones.
The Waves: Abbey Road J37 tape emulation plugin will bring stunning analog warmth to your digital recordings, delivering a level of hardware realism never before experienced “in the box.”
Abbey Road J37 features
- Tape saturation plugin.
- Created in association with Abbey Road Studios.
- Modeled on the machine used to create countless classic ’60s tracks.
- Includes models of three exclusive tape formulas developed by EMI.
- Adds analog warmth to digital recordings.
- Controls for Bias, Wow, Flutter, Tape Speed and more.
- Comprehensive Tape Delay including three different delay types, Sync, LP and HP filter controls and more.
The J37 plug-in is available to purchase for the introductory price of $149 USD (Native) / $249 USD (Soundgrid).
More information: Waves / J37 Tape
, channel strip
, compressor and limiter
, effect plugins
, Universal Audio
Posted in news
on Oct 11, 2013
Universal Audio has announced the release of API Vision Channel Strip, an effect plug-in for the UAD platform and Apollo.
For over 40 years, API mixing consoles have become synonymous for audio excellence and multi-platinum recordings. From the Foo Fighters to Fleetwood Mac’s classic Rumours, API mixing desks are legendary for their colorful punch and warm analog detail. Now Universal Audio is pleased to release the API Vision Channel Strip Plug-In for the UAD Powered Plug-Ins platform and Apollo audio interfaces.
Featuring five API modules — the 212L Microphone Preamplifier, 215L High/Low Cut Filters, 235L Gate/Expander, 225L Compressor/Limiter, and 550L 4-Band Equalizer — the API Vision Channel Strip plug-in allows owners of Apollo audio interfaces and UAD-2 DSP Accelerator hardware to impart their tracks with the same focus, punch, and harmonic detail as its high-end hardware counterpart.
API Vision Channel Strip features
- Faithful channel strip emulation from API’s flagship Vision analog console.
- Comprised of five distinct modules: 212L Mic Preamp, 215L High/Low Cut Filters, 235L Gate/Expander, 225L Compressor/Limiter, and 550L 4-Band Equalizer.
- Models custom 2520 API op-amp and transformers with circuit nonlinearities.
- Allows recording in real time via Apollo interfaces (sub-2ms latency) and/or mixing workflows via UAD-2 hardware.
- More than 70 artist presets from Joe Chiccarelli, Neil Dorfsman, David Isaac, Nathaniel Kunkel and John Paterno.
- Requires UAD-2 DSP Accelerator Card, available from authorized dealers worldwide.
API Vision Channel Strip is available for purchase for $299 USD.
More information: Universal Audio / API Vision Channel Strip
LSR Audio has announced the release of VLB525, a classic FET compressor effect plugin modeled after the API 525 feedback compressor.
The 525 compressor first appeared in the early 70′s. It was integrated as a 500 module in famous american recording consoles. Over the years the 525 has become a favourite of many engineers in the recording industry, contributing its sound in numerous classic recordings.
The 525 is a character compressor that adds thickness and warmth to the signal. It is favoured on guitars, vocals, drums and bass. VLB525 further extends the hardware versatility with an adjustable attack time, and stereo link for stereo tracks or busses.
- Authentic hardware circuit / non-linear components emulation.
- Peak detecting feedback compressor / limiter.
- Threshold and make-up level.
- Ceiling adjusts compression and compensates the level.
- Gain reduction VU meter.
- Compressor mode (2:1 ratio).
- Limiter mode (20:1 ratio).
- Off mode: signal goes through the output opamp and transformer directly without compression.
- Bypass mode: true bypass.
- 4 release times: 0.1, 0.5, 2.0, 2.5 sec.
- De-Ess function.
- Adjustable attack.
- Mono or stereo, with adjustable stereo link.
- Adjustable internal simulation level.
- Optional noise floor and hum modeling.
- Retina displays compatible.
The VLB525 for Windows and Mac (VST/AU/RTAS/AAX) is available to purchase for the introductory price of $129 USD until October 15th, 2013 (regular $159 USD).
More information: LSR Audio / VLB525
Aly James Lab has released version 1.23 of FMDRIVE, a Sega Mega Drive/Genesis FM synthesizer instrument for Windows.
FMDRIVE is not simply an YM2612 emulator, it add many extended features and huge user friendly GUI! It is a fantastic synth suitable for chip music and SEGA nostalgic pleasure and also a powerful FM tool for modern music production.
Changes in FMDRIVE v1.23
- Rewritten envelope cycles system to improve YM2612 engine accuracy again.
- Improved volume tables.
- New SSG selection method.
- Adjusted PCM DAC ladder noise.
- Corrected DAC on/off register not being saved with patches.
- Solved Program change memory BUG (causing certain YM2612 registers not being updated after closing and re-opening the plug-in interface).
- Pitch bend range can now be set (1-12 semitones).
- Glide mode can be set to portamento or glide behavior.
- Corrected sync between GUI and registers.
- Envelope generator sliders reversed for a better sync with GenMDM.
FMDRIVE for Windows (VST) is available for a minimum donation of 10 EUR. The update is free to registered users.
More information: Aly James Lab / FMDRIVE