Computer Music has announced that its latest magazine includes a free copy of SKnote Snap, a transient exciter plug-in for Windows and Mac.
Brighten or dull the attack and sustain of your sounds with Snap, a unique transient exciter plugin created exclusively for CM by software perfectionists SKnote. Their other analogue-flavoured creations include the console-emulating Stripbus, tape saturator Roundtone, and the mighty MCAudioLab EQ1passive equaliser.
Snap detects your incoming transients (or attack) and allows you to apply two intelligently-linked filters to your signal. You can add brightness to a snare or hi-hat’s crack, tame a drum group’s spikiness, or soften a piano’s sustain without blunting its attack.
SKnote Snap features
- ‘Hit’ and ‘Body’ knobs to treat attack and/or sustain for precise dynamic sculpting.
- Brighten or dull transients independently of the signal’s sustain.
- Great for shaping drums, percussion, guitars, groups or mixes.
- Transient metering and value readouts.
- Clear, compact interface.
- 32-/64-bit PC VST.
- 32-/64-bit Mac AU/VST.
The plugin is included with Computer Music 197 (and onwards).
More information: MusicRadar
Nomad Factory has announced the release of Cosmos, an effect plug-in for sonic enhancement and low-end fattening of audio.
This audio sweetening plug-in faithfully emulates legendary audio hardware that is used in professional studios worldwide. COSMOS can be used in virtually any application:
- Embellish a recording or enhance single instrument
- Harmonically excite an entire mix
- Enhance any TV/Film Post-Production project
- Improve the sound of a Broadcast/Podcast
Naturally, COSMOS excels in the recording studio whether you need lead vocals to pop out more in a mix or boost the low end of a bass guitar. The plug-in is especially useful when placed on the mix bus to enhance an entire mix. Engineers have been using comparable hardware for decades and now COSMOS delivers the same sonic signature that can be found on countless hit records and award-winning productions.
COSMOS is designed to improve clarity and punch without increasing gain, which results in a more balanced sound. The plug-in uses harmonic enhancement instead of traditional EQ boosting to bring out desirable frequencies in your audio material. COSMOS works great to improve the sound quality of any audio source, including compressed mp3 files, podcasts and voice-over work.
COSMOS also features a tunable synth sub-generator that can give your audio a huge boost in the low frequency department. For years, audiophiles have used this secret technique to fatten bass parts, kick drums and give mixes a thunderous bottom end. COSMOS’ built-in limiter and imaging add an extra dimension of control and stereo enhancement.
Cosmos for Windows and Mac (VST/AU/RTAS/AAX) is available to purchase for MSRP $149 USD. The plug-in is also available from DontCrack for the introductory price $69 USD until July 7th, 2013.
More information: Nomad Factory / Cosmos
, compressor and limiter
, effect plugins
Posted in news
on Jan 24, 2013
iZotope has updated its Ozone 5 mastering effects suite to version 5.03.
iZotope’s complete mastering system in a single integrated plug-in includes eight essential mastering tools: Maximizer, Equalizer, Multiband Dynamics, Multiband Stereo Imaging, Post Equalizer, Multiband Harmonic Exciter, Reverb, and Dithering.
Ozone 5 Advanced adds seven additional component plug-ins, extended features in every module, and a comprehensive suite of configurable meters.
Changes in Ozone v5.03
- Plug-in formats: Added AAX Native support for Pro Tools 10.
- Operating systems: Added Windows 8 support.
- Operating systems: Added OS X 10.8 support.
- Feature enhancement: Changed wording of “Match From” to “Reference” for the Matching EQ.
- [Ozone Advanced] Fix: Improved Host Bypass communication for component plug-ins (Advanced feature only).
Ozone 5 for Windows and Mac is available to purchase for $249 USD (Ozone 5) / $999 USD (Ozone 5 Advanced).
More information: iZotope / Ozone
Terry West has released the SJoe dualband stereo enhancer and AirCiter exciter effect plugins for Windows.
SJoe and AirCiter VST effect plugins by Terry West.
- SJoe – Based on Side (ms) parallel widening without loss of the mid signal gain. Independed controls for mid/high crossovers with Solo listen. Full mono compatible.
- AirCiter – Adds sheen and air to vocals, overheads etc. Also includes a widening fx for the processed signals (stereo bus/insert only). Can be used as a insert or as send effect. Note: this plugin does not use the common exciter approach.
Both plug-ins are available to download for Windows (VST) at no charge. Donations are appreciated.
More information: Terry West
Variety Of Sound has introduced Thrillseeker XTC, a freeware exciter effect plugin, developed for the KVR Developer Challenge 2012.
Thrillseeker XTC is a contemporary exciter build around a true parallel analog style equalizer design. Thrillseeker XTC is all about adding weight, vibe and attitude back to the sound. It delivers all the character of an analog signal path and provides what digital processing usually is hard pushed to, including a rich low-end experience and that vibrant ‘expensive’ top-end.
Thrillseeker XTC was made for musicians and engineers to pleasingly enhance audio during the mixing or mastering stage.
Thrillseeker XTC features
- Three parallel coupled equalizers containing three stateful saturators.
- Each based on a sophisticated non-linear and frequency dependent algorithm with memory.
- Pre-selected frequency ranges
- LOW band: 70-450Hz
- MID band: 0.8-5kHz
- AIR band: 3.2-18kHz
- Two flavors included with different internal gain-staging
- Black version to mix at rather conservative levels around -18dB RMS.
- Blue version to mix towards hotter target levels.
- Additional analog signal path idiosyncrasies modelled.
- Classic VU style metering as well as loudness unit measurements based on ITU-R BS.1770.
- Mix control for dry/wet mixing and output level control.
- Win32 / VST compatible plug-in with SSE2 assembler optimized signal path.
- Tested and known to work in many VST hosts as well as running jbridge wrapped in 64bit hosts.
The Thrillseeker XTC plugin for Windows (VST) is available from KVR Audio.
More information: Variety Of Sound / Thrillseeker XTC