Spektro Audio has released version 1.2 of CV Toolkit, a standalone application that can be used to control analog synthesizers by sending CV signals through any DC-coupled audio interface or Expert Sleeper’s ES-3 module.
We’re extremely excited to announce that the 1.2 update for CV Toolkit – Standalone Version is out!
This update fixes most of the issues we had with previous versions, brings many new features and set’s the path for the future of CV Toolkit.
Changes in CV Toolkit v1.2
- New Virtual Slot System (VSS), swap modules inside the slots at any time and configure it to best suite your need.
- 4 new modules:
- CV Recorder (Slot #8) – Record the output of any other virtual module and play it back using Vari-Speed (-10x to 10x).
- Comparator (Slot #8) – Performs a bipolar 1-bit quantization to an incoming signal.
- Morphing VCO (Slot #10) – A digital oscillator that can be used as sub oscillator, a modulator for FM / ring-mod patches or as an audio-rate modulation.
- Clock Generator (Slot #11) – Generate clock signals (gate or trigger) at different rates.
- Significant CPU usage optimization.
- CV Quantizer is now more reliable and contains 13 scales: Chromatic, Major, Minor, Harmonic Minor, Melodic Minor, Blues, Dorian, Lydian, Locrian, Major Pentatonic, Minor Pentatonic, Arabic and Augmented.
- MIDI Notes Out – Send the output of the CV Quantizer module as MIDI notes to the selected MIDI output port. (Useful for layering sounds using other analog synths or virtual instruments).
- Added a width control for the Step Sequencer Gate / Clock output (Available in the Options window)
- Added curve adjustment for AD1 and AD2 (Logarithmic → Linear → Exponential)
- Added Pitch Bend support (with adjustable range to up to +/- 12 semitones)
- Improved voice handling
- Improved sync for the S&H module
- The Routing Matrix guidelines now have different colors for virtual modules (green) and analog outputs (blue).
- Lemur template updated to include new virtual modules.
- Minor design changes.
CV Toolkit for Windows and Mac is available for purchase for $19.99 USD.
More information: Spektro Audio / CV Toolkit
Expert Sleepers has announced the release of Disting, its latest Eurorack synthesizer module.
The Disting is a 16-in-1 multifunction module, offering a variety of CV and audio processes, including a selection of oscillators (LFOs/VCOs), in a compact 4HP package.
Unlike all previous Expert Sleepers modules, the disting is in no way reliant on a computer connection – it’s a normal, standalone module.
- Precision Adder with integer voltage offsets.
- Four Quadrant Multiplier with integer multiply/divide.
- Full-wave Rectifier.
- Linear/Exponential Converter.
- Slew Rate Limiter with linear and exponential slew.
- Sample and Hold with noise source and adjustable slew rate.
- Comparator with adjustable hysteresis.
- Pitch and Envelope Tracker.
- Quantizer with selectable scales.
- Dual Waveshaper wavefolder and triangle-to-sine shaper.
- Clockable Delay/Echo.
- LFO with through zero frequency control and wave shaping.
- Clockable LFO with multiply/divide and waveshaping.
- VCO with linear FM sine and saw outputs.
- VCO with waveshaping saw/triangle and pulse outputs.
Disting is available for purchase for MSRP £119 GBP/$170 USD.
More information: Expert Sleepers / Disting
Spektro Audio has released DRG – Dual Rhythm Generator, a Max for Live device capable of generating clocks and rhythms that can be used with analog synthesizers and drum machines via control voltage.
By using a combination of two clock generators and an optional boolean logic operator, DRG can generate anything from simple clock divisions to complex rhythms.
DRG is great for clocking analog sequencers, triggering envelopes, sequencing drum modules and etc.
DRG can be used in different situations. The workflow was thought out to work great both in the studio and in live concerts. Everything on the front panel, from the simple layout to the LEDs colors, was design to give you instant feedback of whats going on. Features such as the MIDI Controlled Presets let’s you add variation to your track and change the settings using either MIDI clips or any MIDI controller.
DRG requires an audio interface with DC-Coupled outputs or an Expert Sleepers ES-3 / ES-4 / ES-40 module.
DRG is available for purchase for $9.99 USD.
More information: Spektro Audio / DRG – Dual Rhythm Generator
Expert Sleepers has announced the release of the ESX-8MD MIDI/DINsync Expander, offering sample accurate and jitter free MIDI and DINsync.
The ESX-8MD is an expansion module for the ES-4, ES-40 or ES-5 Eurorack modules, adding eight MIDI/DINsync outputs from one expansion header.
The ES-4/5 Controller software (part of Expert Sleepers Silent Way) allows the ESX-8MD outputs to be used for MIDI output (note – not just MIDI clock output, but as an actual MIDI port, capable of sending any MIDI messages). Since these outputs are driven from an audio connection, they have sample-accurate timing, which no USB MIDI interface can claim.
The Silent Way Sync plug-in would typically be used to send DINsync to the ESX-8MD, though any software capable of addressing the ES-4/5′s expansion headers, via Silent Way or the associated Max/MSP external, can send clock pulses to it.
The ESX-8MD is now available for purchase for MSRP £89 GBP + VAT.
More information: Expert Sleepers / ESX-8MD
Spektro Audio has announced the release of a version 1.1 update for CV Toolkit – Standalone Version, an application that can be used to control analog synthesizers by sending CV signals through any DC-coupled audio interface or Expert Sleeper’s module.
The update includes two new virtual modules (MIDI to CV and CV Quantizer), native Smux support (Mac only), and many different improvements to the “Scangraph”, “Envelope” and “Step Sequencer” virtual modules.
Changes in CV Toolkit v1.1
- New “MIDI to CV” module with auto-calibration and transpose. Calibrate your VCOs and play them in tune!
- New “CV Quantizer” module – Quantize signals coming from other virtual modules to a specific Scale (Chromatic, Major, Minor, Minor Harmonic or Blues) and note range.
- ScanGraph improvements:
- ‘Rand’ button – Generates a random graph.
- Snap breakpoints to the grid by holding down the “S” key.
- Use these two new features together in order to generate random graphs with all breakpoints snapped to the grid.
- Envelope improvements:
- ‘Rand’ button – Generates a random graph
- Step Sequencer improvements:
- Velocity Layer – The velocity layer can be used to control the gain of the AD envelopes for each of the steps. You can also turn a step off by setting it’s velocity to zero.
- Shift the sequence by pressing the arrow keys on your keyboard.
- “Rand”, “Clear”, and shifting operations can be applied to the Velocity layer by holding down the “V” key.
- Adjustable number of steps (Min: 4 / Max: 16).
- New option for changing the output signal from Bi-Polar to Positive-only (available on the Options window).
- New option for disabling triggers generated by the Sequencer (available on the Options window).
- Native SMUX support (Mac only) – You can now use CV Toolkit together with an Expert Sleepers ES–3 module at higher sample rates (above 48kHz).
- The GATE outlet was removed from the Routing Matrix for a better user experience. You can still output gates through the Mix module. We’ve also added an option for swapping the TRIGGER outlet on the Routing Matrix for a GATE outlet.
- New option for disabling the transmission of LEDs to the Lemur for a smoother integration (available on the Options window).
- The Trim dial is now called “Output Trim” and it has been moved to the Options window. It’s value will now be stored as a global settings and will be automatically recalled every time you open the program.
- You can now hold down the “G” key to activate guidelines on the Routing Matrix.
- Lemur template updated.
- Many misc / minor bug fixes.
The application is available to purchase for $19.99 USD.
More information: Spektro Audio / CV Toolkit – Standalone Version
Expert Sleepers has released version 2.4.0 of its Silent Way suite of plug-ins designed for use with analogue synthesisers, and especially as part of a modular analogue synthesiser system.
Silent Way Step LFO 2.4.0 now includes manual DAC.
The plug-ins produce no sound themselves, nor do they process sound – rather, they generate signals to be used as control voltages (CVs), which can be patched into the control inputs of oscillators, filters, VCAs etc. of an analogue system.
Also, with the addition of the CV Input plug-in, it is possible to bring CVs from the synth into the computer, for recording or processing.
Changes in Silent Way v2.4.0
- Added new Run modes and a periodic reset feature to Silent Way Sync.
- Added virtual MIDI input ports to Silent Way ES-4 Controller and ES-5 Controller.
- Added ‘Manual DAC’ feature to Silent Way Step LFO.
- The Audio Unit version now implements Apple’s newer Audio Component API, allowing usage in modern (post-OS X 10.6) hosts that do not support the older Component Manager API.
- Updated Silent Way Soundplane’s OSC support for the new t3d format in the Soundplane Client v1.0 and above.
Silent Way for Windows and Mac (VST/AU) is available to purchase for $59 (USD, plus VAT if applicable).
More information: Expert Sleepers / Silent Way
Related: audio interface
, Expert Sleepers
Posted in news
on Jan 21, 2014 - 0 comments
Expert Sleepers has announced the release of three new Eurorack synth modules.
The Expert Sleepers range of modules (including the ES-3 Lightpipe/CV Interface, offering ADAT connectivity instead of the ES-40′s S/PDIF) offers a highly configurable range of computer/synthesizer interfacing solutions, supported not only by Expert Sleepers own Silent Way software but increasingly used in conjunction with e.g. Max/MSP or NI’s Reaktor.
Because the modules connect over an audio interface, rather than say USB or Ethernet, they are able to offer rock solid timing and deep integration with standard audio environments.
New Expert Sleepers Eurorack modules
- The ES-40 SPDIF Interface (£94.80) converts a standard S/PDIF input to five channels of expansion headers, which are used in conjunction with the Expert Sleepers ESX range of expanders.
- The ESX-8CV CV Expander (£130.80) is an expansion module for the ES-4, ES-40 or ES-5, adding eight CV outputs from one expansion header.
- The ESX-8GT mk2 Gate Expander (£54) is an expansion module for the ES-4, ES-40 or ES-5, adding 8 on/off outputs for use as gates, triggers, clocks etc. from one expansion header.
All modules are available to purchase immediately.
More information: Expert Sleepers