Sound Magic has released version 1.5 of its Piano One for Mac, a free virtual piano instrument.
The Sound of Piano One comes from the Yamaha C7 concert grand, a true workhorse in the professional piano world, appearing on famous concert stages, in international competitions and in prestigious music events throughout the world.
Changes in Piano One v1.5 for Mac
- Improved polyphony numbers.
- Supports newest OSX Version.
- Better reverb settings.
- Improved CPU usage.
- Many minor fixes.
The plug-in is available to download for Windows and Mac (VST/AU) at no cost.
More information: Sound Magic / Piano One
Gatis Ozols and Andrejs Eigus have announced the release of a Mac version of Anarchy Effects, the audio plug-ins bundle previously available from Anarchy Sound Software.
Anarchy Effects is a cross-platform bundle consisting of 5 audio plugins, each of which does a different novel form of frequency domain processing. VST versions now comply to VST 2.4 standard and plugins in different formats are available for both Mac and PC.
Anarchy Effects features
- SpectralAutopan – assigns different pan positions to the different component pitches in the input signal. The effect pitch has on pan position is controlled by control points, which can change in pan position and pitch according to LFOs. This adds stereo depth and motion to sounds.
- Corkscrew – mixes together multiple pitch-shifts of the input signal, increasing or decreasing their pitches in parallel, and fading them in/out at the extremes of their range. This creates the illusion of a sound that seems to continually rise or fall, but doesn’t actually change in average pitch.
- HarmonicAdder – creates harmonic resonances by pitch shifting the dominant frequencies in your input signal by the various intervals in the harmonic series (octave, octave+fifth, two octaves, two octaves+major third etc). These harmonics can be mixed with the dry input signal to make it more resonant, or used on their own as a new sound.
- LengthSeparator – bisects the input signal according to the lengths of its component frequencies. Short sounds become the ‘transient’ part, long sounds become the ‘stable’ part. These parts can be isolated (ie the other part removed), or assigned different pan positions to create stereo movement.
- Convoluter – applies a convolution matrix to the spectral representation of the input signal. This bends the sound along the continuum between pure sine tones and pure noise.
Anarchy Effects is available to download for Windows and Mac (VST/AU) under the GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL).
More information: Anarchy Effects
Rob Papen has released RP-Amod, a dual modulation effect that is available free of charge to all Rob Papen customers.
As you will probably know, a modulator is a term that is used in synthesizers. They are various types of settings that can change and alter a sound. With RP-AMOD you can use it’s modulators to alter your audio in different ways.
We have added ‘Phaser’, ‘Flanger’, ‘Chorus’, ‘Ensemble’ and ‘Tremelo’, which are classic audio modulation FX. What differs with RP-AMOD from these classic versions, is that you can also ‘tempo sync’ them to your music, and you can use two FX at the same time in various routing configurations. These routing options are not only in serial and parallel, but you can also ‘filter split’ the audio signal ahead of going to both of the FX!
RP-AMOD can spice up your vocal track, liven an instrument and even beef up your drums or drum-loops.
- Presets in various style banks. Preset / Bank menu with Quick Browser, Favorites & Recent etc functions.
- Main section with: Bypass, Mix, Volume, Send, Readout display and ECS (External Midi Controller Setup)
- Send button is ‘global’ and should be used in FX send mixer setup.
- Routing controls how the 2 modulation units are connected: Parallel, Serial, Filter Split (Using either 6, 12 or 24 db low pass / high pass filters. The filters frequency is set by the split frequency dial).
- Audio Modulation 1 & 2 with Sync, Volume Mix control.
- Audio Pan and Pan Modulation inside each Audio Modulation module.
- FX Types: Chorus, Tape Chorus, Ensemble, Flanger, Tape Flanger, Phaser, Analogue Phaser, Tremelo.
RP-Amod is a free download for registered Rob Papen users.
More information: Rob Papen / RP-Amod
eaReckon has released version 1.1.0 of MIDI Polysher and Ferret 4×4, two freeware plug-ins that have been rebuilt from scratch and are now available as 32/64-bit plug-ins for Windows and Mac OS X.
MIDI Polysher is a free VST plugin formerly designed as a MIDI filter for the early versions of BloXpander, EaReckon’s live-oriented host, which now features an integrated and full-featured MIDI filter, so BloXpander users do not really need MIDI Polysher anymore.
However, over the past few years, musicians have shown interest for this plug-in which can be used in other VST compatible DAWs. MIDI Polysher is a VST MIDI filter that offers the possibility to virtually split your master keyboard into multiple key and velocity zones. It also provides a transpose option, a MIDI channel filter and three global filters (CC, Pitch Bend and Aftertouch).
Ferret 4×4 has been designed to add more audio routing capabilities to BloXpander by taking advantage of its sidechaining and multi-output capabilities. However, it can be used in some other DAWs to create audio links between different channels/tracks.
Ferret 4×4 features four pairs of inputs and four pairs of outputs, each of them having its own adjustable level and pan parameters. The internal behavior of Ferret 4×4 is quite basic: inputs are mixed down and the resulting stereo signal is sent to outputs depending on user settings. This plug-in can be used to create extra “aux return” channels, mix down multiple signals to be sent to a single effect or a physical output, create headphone mixes, etc.
Both plug-ins are available to download free of charge.
More information: eaReckon
Glitchmachines has announced the release of Fracture, a free buffer effect plugin geared toward creating robotic artifacts and abstract musical malfunctions.
Fracture features a buffer effect, a multimode filter, three LFOs and a delay.
This plugin is geared toward adding glitchy articulations and abstract textures to your projects. Use it on anything from drum and percussion loops to synth lines and sound effects.
Fracture’s intuitive interface and diverse features make it simple to give your projects a unique technical edge.
- Buffer Effect.
- 3 LFOs.
- Multi-Mode Filter.
- Delay Effect.
- Presets by Ivo Ivanov & Thomas Hennebert.
The effect plug-in is available to download for Windows and Mac (VST/AU, 32/64-bit).
More information: Glitchmachines / Fracture
Brain Control has released a public beta of Tunefish v4, a free synthesizer instrument for Windows, Mac and Linux.
Tunefish is a very tiny virtual analog synthesizer. It is developed to fit into about 10kb of compressed machine code while still producing an audio quality that can compete with commercial synthesizers. This site was created to make the VST/AU version of it available to the public.
This plugin, unlike the version of TF which is used in 64k intros of our group Brain Control is of course larger, mainly because it has a UI and uses the excellent Juce framework for C++. (This is true for v4. v3 uses Qt and v2 uses the VSTGUI library.)
Tunefish v4 features
- Available on Windows and Linux as VST (32 and 64 bit) and on Mac as Audio Unit or VST (Universal binary).
- Improved UI compared to TF3 which will visualize all modulations.
- Uses an additive synthesis based wavetable generator.
- The Noise generator can produce any frequency of noise with any bandwidth.
- Lowpass, Highpass, Bandpass and an improved Notch filter are available.
- 2 ADSRs and 2 LFOs that can be linked to pretty much any important knob using a modulation matrix.
- Supported effects are Flanger, Chorus, Distortion, Delay, Reverb, EQ and Formant.
- The effects stack allows for any permutation of up to 10 effects.
Tunefish is available to download at no charge.
More information: Tunefish
Versilian Studios has released three new virtual instrument products: a chromatically-sampled Glockenspiel, a set of Hand-Chimes, and Miscellania II: Bells and Chimes, a mixed selection of metallic percussion.
Unlike most sampled glocks, you get to hear the full natural impact of the mallet and get a full range of dynamics.
New Versilian Studios instruments
- 4x Multi-Sampling; Chromatic.
- Three Velocity Layers.
- 2x Multi-Sampling; Chromatic.
- Unique sound- great replacement for celesta or glockenspiel.
- Miscellania II – Bells and Chimes:
- Follow-up to the “Miscellania I: Horror” plug-in.
- Contains six octaves (incl. accidentals) filled with metallic percussion.
Glockenspiel and Hand-Chimes are available to purchase for $10 USD and $5 USD respectively. Miscellania II is a free download. The instruments are available for Windows and Mac (VST/AU).
More information: Versilian Studios
Sonic Charge has announced the release of Cyclone, a free software emulation of the Yamaha TX16W sampler from 1988.
Cyclone is a true low-level hardware emulator. It simulates all the important circuits of the Yamaha TX16W, including the main 68000 CPU, the properietary Yamaha DSP circuits, the 12-bit sample memory and the 400kHz non-linear DACs. Cyclone not only looks like a real TX16W, it sounds like a real TX16W and it runs the exact same software as a real TX16W.
That last sentence is worth elaborating on. We have not merely created a new virtual instrument with a vintage sound, neither is Cyclone an updated version of Typhoon. Cyclone features a full 68000 emulator that runs the exact same version of Typhoon that was released 14 years ago. This implies that using Cyclone will require a bit more effort than your average modern virtual instrument. But this can also be a very rewarding experience. Regard Cyclone as a time travel portal to an era from the past. The era of the monster dinosaur samplers.
Cyclone for Windows and Mac (VST/AU) is a free download.
More information: Sonic Charge