George Yohng has released 4Front Rhode, a vintage Rhodes-typed piano module with a gentle overdrive.
4Front Rhode piano module
This module reproduces the classic sound similar to RSP73 pianos. The sound generation is not based upon samples, thus there are 127 continous layers provided with a vintage rhodes smooth overdrive.
Unlike many other software modules and samplers, this module will never overload CPU. It will never stick notes, and never interrupt the sound during live performances.
4Front Rhode is available to download as a freeware instrument plug-in for Windows and Mac (VST).
More information: George Yohng / 4Front Rhode
The Open Source version of discoDSP’s HighLife sampler instrument has been updated to R3 beta.
HighLife R3 beta now has greatly improved sfz import, more in line with the official sfz specs. Most sfz files can now be used rightaway without the need to edit out any unsupported features or moving the soundfiles around on the computer.
Changes in Highlife R3 beta
- SFZ Parser
- Sample path can be relative or absolute to any location on the storage media.
- Path names may contain blank spaces.
- The header can now be used.
- Comments can be put on the same line with opcodes.
- Minor Fixes and changes
- A couple of wave files that were refused by the previous version will now load fine.
- Loopinfo will not be used if loopstart > loopend (workaround for some nonstandard wav editors).
- HighLife SFZ Implementation
- HighLife supports a subset of the sfz specification v1.0 opcodes. Unsupported opcodes can be included in the file. These will be ignored and should not cause any errors or misinterpretations. Unsupported headers (sfz v2.0 or third party) will be skipped. The parser will jump the next header if it finds an unknown one and ignore all opcodes inbetween.
- Supported sfz Opcodes
- sample, lokey, hikey, lovel, hivel, offset, tune, pitch_keytrack, pitch_keycenter, transpose, volume, pan, loop_start, loop_end, loop_mode, loccN, hiccN, lobend, hibend, lochanaft, hichanaft, lopolyaft, hipolyaft, trigger, group, off_by.
- Supported Sfz Headers
- Know Issues (temporary restrictions)
- Midi Note Names are currently not supported. Workaround: replace with midi note numbers.
- The key opcode is not supported. Workaround: use lokey, hikey and pitch_keycenter instead.
Note: Release 3 Beta is the Open Source version for Windows VST hosts. Not compatible with the commercial v1.4.
Visit discoDSP for more information.
The Open Source version of discoDSP’s HighLife sampler instrument has been updated to R2 by George Yohng.
Changes in HighLife R2
- Menu items added to save/load instrument in a special HighLife format.
- Polyphony stealing is changed, so that the oldest voice is stolen (this seems to work better than what there was before).
- LFO fixed.
- Updates to make it compile well on MSVS 8.0.
- Changes to conform VST SDK better.
Visit the HighLife project at SourceForge for more information and a link to download the open source version of HighLife, or check discoDSP to download a compiled .dll and installer for Windows (a Linux version is available as well, but I’m not sure if that’s R2 as well…)