GSi has announced ShakePad, a multi-effect plug-in.
Hello Folks! I’ve been quite busy for a long while, but here I am again with a little funny virtual effect that many of you may appreciate. It’s based on a X-Y pad that you can handle with your mouse or from an external controller. It’s mostly intended for DJ’s and for those who want to have fun with their music by adding some real-time manipulation, but it’s also nice to use for keyboards and other single instrument tracks.
ShakePad is currently under public beta testing (have a look at the KvR forums) and will hopefully be available before the end of July. Registration fee will be just 29 euros with an initial introductory offer.
The public beta is available as a VST effect plug-in for Windows (Mac OS X AU and VST versions will follow).
Check the thread at KVR Audio for more information.
GSi has released Key Performer, the Swiss Army knife of the modern gigging keyboardist.
It’s a single software instrument which offers a wide variety of keyboard sounds that are always used in almost all musical genres where a keyboardist is involved
Key Performer features
- Several classic keyboard sounds including pianos, electric pianos, synths, organs, etc.
- A sample playback section (aka “ROMpler”) with “adaptive playback”
- A physical modeling classic Electric Piano
- A physical modeling “Wurly” piano
- A phase modulation synthesizer for the famous DX Piano
- A Virtual Analog polyphonic synthesizer
- A Virtual Tonewheel Organ with rotary speaker effect
- Two effect slots with all the most famous effects
- An AMP simulation section with overdrive
- A global Reverb effect
- 64 Programs per bank, 9 snaphots for organ sections and 9 for VA synth
- Full MIDI implementation
- Easy MIDI Learn
- Huge efficiency with very low CPU power requirements
- Simplicity of use, Versatility, Stability, Expandibility, Authenticity!
Key Performer is available now as a VST instrument for Windows (Mac version coming soon) for an introductory price of 99 EUR until March 31, 2009 CET (regular price 149 EUR). A demo version can be downloaded from the product page.
Visit GSi for more information
GSi has announced Key Performer, a plug-in specifically designed for keyboardists.
Key Performer is a plugin made for the giggin’ keyboardist who needs a specific set of classic sounds that fit all music genres, from pianos to organ, from electric pianos to synths.
Key Performer features
- 6 different sound engines:
- sample playback (a ROMpler) used for many different sounds;
- two physical modeling electric pianos (tines and reeds, derived from MrRay73 and MrTramp);
- a DX classic e-piano sound in pure phase modulation synthesis;
- a small virtual analog synthesizer;
- a tonewheel organ simulator derived from VB3.
- 4 effects slots with tremolo, auto-pan, wha-wha, phaser, chorus, flanger, echo, delay, reverb, amp simulations, etc.
- Expand the sound packs with future releases of new soundsets.
Key Performer should be available soon, with an introductory offer for 1 month, and special discounts for registered users of VB3, MrRay73mk2, EG70 or ZD6.
Visit GSi for more information.
MidiKarval has released version 1.1 of VB3 Controller, a midi processor for controlling the VB3 synth by GSi.
The VB3 Controller is a midi processor VSTi that allows you to control, using a midi controller keyboard, the VB3’s five drawbar sets (upper manual A and B sets, lower manual A and B sets, and pedals) from a single set of nine physical drawbars (sliders or knobs).
Changes in VB3 Controller v1.1
- INVERTED KEYS – “USE UPPER FOR BOTH”: pressing one of the keys (C# to A keys) of your upper manual’s “inverted octave” you can call up the relevant presets (internal or “alternative” presets) of such both manuals’ “inverted key” (this is useful if you want to have consistent presets on both manuals with only one touch). The “Use Upper for both” function doesn’t work with Bb and B “inverted keys”, so you can temporarily change the preset of the upper manual without affecting the sound of the lower one.
- PEDALS “COUPLER” AND “STACCATO”: when the “Pedals/Upper” or “Pedals/Lower” function and the “Coupler” function are active, using the “pedals octaves” of your keyboard you can play in unison the pedals’ sound and the lower manual sound, as many great jazz organists do. Moreover you can choose to make the pedals sound “staccato” (like an upright bass, whilst the “meat of the bass” comes from the lower manual sound). According to Joey DeFrancesco, this is the secret to kicking bass (see Keyboard Magazine, n. 6/1999, page 50). Changing the value in the “Staccato” label you can activate/deactivate the “Staccato” mode and select the relevant length, expressed in milliseconds (from 20 to 400 ms.).
- Now you can activate/deactivate the VB3 Controller’s functions directly clicking on the relevant labels with your mouse’s left button (whilst clicking on the labels with the right buttons allows to change the value shown on each label).
VB3 Controller is availabe as a VST plug-in for Windows PC for 10 EUR. A fully functional demo version is available from the product page (expires after 15 minutes of use, remove and re-load it in your host to use it again).
Visit MidiKarval for more information.
GSi (formerly SoundFonts.it) has released version 1.2.2 of VB3, a virtual tonewheel organ instrument for Windows and Mac.
Changes in VB3 v1.2.2
- VB3 is now available for MAC OSX in VST and AU format.
- New Spring Reverb algorithm derived from GSi Type4.
- The code has been enormously optimized and the CPU load is amost halved.
- Fixed bugs with some hosts (Sonar, Tracktion3, Receptor) that caused a crash when loading VB3.
- Added option “Output Level” with 5 different levels. Use this to prevent VB3 from generating audio
clips at high dynamics.
- Rotary speaker simualtor: improved control over rotors speeds; improved algorithm “Jazz 122″.
- Keyclick: improved and optimized.
- Percussion: added the missing high-pass filter that gives it more punch and enforces the attack.
- Organ sound: the leakage factor, the whole balance between lows and highs and the background noise have been noticeably improved.
- Functionality: no more need to recompute the internal wavetables when the plugin is set in standby by the host; improved the stereo widening algorithm.
- Many other things have changed internally that can’t be explained in few words, but your fine ears will be able to notice the difference with previous versions.
Notes for the Mac version:
VB3 is known to function properly in Apple Logic, Ableton Live, Cubase 4, EnergyXT2, RAX, GarageBand and in many other VST and/or AU hosts. There is a known and unresolved (yet) incompatibility with MOTU Digital Performer. There’s no guarantee for it to function in ProTools (via its VST-to-RTAS wrapper).
VB3 is available for 49 EUR. A demo version can be downloaded here.
Visit GSi for more information and audio demos.
SoundFonts.it has released version 1.1 of ZD6 – Die Funky Maschine, a physical modeling simulation of a vintage “D6″ stringed electric piano.
ZD6 is now available for Mac, with a brighter sound and better tuning. The update also includes minor code optimizations and bugfixes.
SoundFonts.it has also announced the release of VST and AU Mac OSX Universal Binary versions of MrRay73 Mark II, Electric Grand EG70, Spring Reverb Type4 (updated to v1.0.1).
Visit SoundFonts.it for more information.
SoundFonts.it has released WatKat, a VST effect plug-in that pays tribute to Charlie Watkins, inventor of the tape echo.
WatKat is a digital “clone” of a Wem Watkins “Custom” Copicat. It sounds very lo-fi, noisy, irregular. When you turn it off and leave the tape loaded, the tape bends in proximity of the capstan, and this turns into a periodic pitch fall during echo playback; plus, it gets hot and the background hum gets worse in time… you should turn it off every now and then; the tape is never completely erased, and the capstan motor flutters… and it gets worse if you touch it while it’s spinning; heads tend to get dirty very soon, infact you should clean them often. This is true for the actual hardware unit, and for the digital simulation as well!
- Panel Controls:
- Swell: adjusts the volume of the repeats;
- Sustain: adjusts the number of repeats; be careful with this knob!
- Gain 1: volume of input 1 (left channel);
- Gain 2: volume of input 2 (right channel);
- Head 1, Head 2, Head 3: use these switches to select the playback head(s); each head gives a different delay time.
- Don’t touch the capstan! :-)
- Additional Features:
- Very easy to use
- Very light on CPU and memory
- Easy MIDI Learn feature
- Free for all, so the world may know how cool is a Watkins tape echo!
WatKat is available for as a freeware VST plug-in for Windows and Mac. Read more about Charlie Watkins and the CopiCat.
Visit SoundFonts.it to download WatKat (bottom of this page).
SoundFonts.it has released version 1.1.3 of Tape Echo GS-201, a simulation of a japanese Tape Echo machine of the early seventies.
Changes in Tape Echo GS-201 v1.1.3
- Minor improvements and code optimization.
- New authorization method (doesn’t require manual copy any more).
- Mac version released.
Tape Echo GS-201 is now available for Windows and Mac (VST/AU, Universal Binary) for 19 EUR.
SoundFonts.it has also announced it will be porting a number of its plug-ins to Mac OSX soon (VB3, MrRay73 Mark II, EG70, ZD6 and Type4).
Visit SoundFonts.it for more information.