Big Fish Audio has released Solid State, a retro synth collection sample library featuring rare vintage preset keyboards and electro-mechanical devices.
Solid State takes you on a journey to another age, an excursion deep into a retro world of vintage keyboards that don’t often see the light of day. Packed with several decades worth of rare synths, combo organs, electric pianos, and other assorted electro-mechanical keyboard instruments, you’re sure to find some unique sounds to spice up your productions.
Each synth is sampled dry, then presented in numerous effected patches that stretch the boundaries of what was initially possible with the original synths. You’ll find classic names like Crumar, Elka, Farfisa, Hohner, and RMI sampled and ready to use. This unique retro library features 2 gigabytes of content, 22 keyboards, and 464 patches in all. The Flaming Lips would be in heaven.
Solid State for Kontakt 3 or higher is available to purchase for $99.95 USD.
More information: Big Fish Audio / Solid State
Cinematique Instruments has released Alto Glockenspiel, a sample library for Kontakt.
The Alto Glockenspiel is a percussion instrument, composed of a set of tuned metal bars resting over a frame like a trough. Contrary to our “Small Metal Set 1″ which contains the Glockenspiel, this time we used the alto version of this legendary red model of Hohner™ with an one octave lower range, which sounds more soft and mellow. As a bonus you get two patches of a giant tuning fork with a size of 11″, made of solid material, which we found in a smithy.
We recorded the metal bars of the Alto Glockenspiel beaten with thin sticks and soft mallets, in 2 or 3 dynamic layers and three Round Robin variations, mapped in a range from C2 (C1) to F5. There are programmed scripts and fx to provide a lot of opportunities. The Huge Tuning Fork was beat with a 5kg hammer. Additionally we recorded along the surface with our special microphone movement to get different characters of the long lasting sustain.
Alto Glockenspiel features
- Alto Glockenspiel Gentle (soft and mellow, reminds of a celeste)
- Alto Glockenspiel Hard (hard sound, fx and script)
- Alto Glockenspiel Mallet (played with mallets, fx and script)
- Alto Glockenspiel (pure sound)
- Huge Tuning Fork Texture (long lasting texture, modwheel adds noise)
- Huge Tuning Fork (pure and deep)
Alto Glockenspiel for Kontakt 3 or higher is available to purchase for 16 EUR.
More information: Cinematique Instruments / Alto Glockenspiel
, electric piano
, Native Instruments
, samples and sound libraries
Posted in news
on Feb 23, 2010 - 0 comments
Native Instruments has released Scarbee Vintage Keys, a collection of 4 electric pianos for Kontakt (Player) 4.
SCARBEE VINTAGE KEYS contains four classic sampled keyboards from the 60s and 70s: The legendary MARK I, A-200, CLAVINET and PIANET models. This bundle opens up a treasure chest of authentic, soulful sounds.
Scarbee Vintage Keys
- SCARBEE A-200 — This KONTAKT Instrument delivers an unrivalled reproduction of one of the most sought-after electric pianos. The character of the SCARBEE A-200 ranges from soft and sweet to a more biting, overdriven sound when played harder. The distinctive sound of the original A-200 was much loved by pop and rock bands in the 1960s and 70s and has recently found favor with a whole new wave of pop, indie and jazz and electronic artists. The SCARBEE A-200 was derived from Scarbee’s legendary “Edgy Electric Piano”.
- SCARBEE MARK I — At last, the legendary electric piano of the 1970s has been sampled to perfection in all of its analog brilliance. The classic sound provided by the SCARBEE MARK I ranges from warm and mellow to bright and ‘barking’ and can also produce chiming bell-like tones. While it is of course the perfect choice for jazz, funk, fusion and R&B, this KONTAKT instrument is also versatile enough for any production where authentic electric piano sound is essential. The SCARBEE MARK I was derived from Scarbee’s legendary “Classic Electric Piano”.
- SCARBEE CLAVINET/PIANET — The SCARBEE CLAVINET is a meticulously sampled and immanently playable Hohner Clavinet. This highly distinctive electrophonic keyboard has been used extensively on numerous classic funk, soul, reggae, disco and rock tracks since the late 60s. The PIANET – a perfectly captured Hohner Model N Pianet – is a classic electro-mechanical piano with a vibraphone-like tone due to its “sticky hammers”. The SCARBEE CLAVINET/PIANET was derived from Scarbee’s legendary “Funky Electric Piano” and “Sticky Electric Piano”.
Scarbee Vintage Keys is available to purchase for 149 EUR. The instruments are also available separately for 69 EUR each.
More information: Native Instruments / Scarbee Vintage Keys
Mokafix Audio has released version 1.5 of Blue Reeds and Glue Reeds, two electric piano emulations for Windows.
The “click on noteon” bug that still happened on some setups after a patch change has been completely ironed out, which means BlueReeds and GlueReeds should now perform flawlessly on any PC.
Inner piano presets are now stored externally to save RAM and make the plugins load faster.
Changes in Blue Reeds/Glue Reeds v1.5
- “click on NoteOn” bug has been ironed out.
- Reed acoustic harmonic content has been improved.
- New GUI.
- Minor adjustments.
- Inner presets now stored externally for faster plugin loading and reduced RAM consumption.
- Blue Reeds: modulation FXs can be synced to host tempo.
- Blue Reeds: “noFX” version available along with the full version.
- Glue Reeds: default velocity response has been updated to be closer to the original intrument dynamics.
Blue Reeds is available as a VST instrument plug-in for Windows PC, priced at 49 EUR. Glue Reeds can be downloaded as a freeware VST plug-in for PC.
More information: Mokafix Audio / Blue Reeds / Glue Reeds
Mokafix Audio has released version 1.05 of Blue Reeds and Glue Reeds, two electric piano instruments for PC and Mac.
Blue Reeds & Glue Reeds are faithful emulations of Wurli and Pianet electric pianos. Cpu usage has been reduced and decay time has been rewritten for each key.
Changes in Blue Reeds / Glue Reeds v1.05
- Cpu consumption has been reduced.
- All decay times have been rewritten: shorter on low register, longer on high register.
- Less clicks on note on/note off.
- Polyphony now limited to 20 (previously 30).
- Five highest notes are now always in sustain mode.
- Stompbox FXs are now correctly set to their default value when changed (Blue Reeds only).
- Delay FX now mute and is emptied when turned off (Blue Reeds only).
- Midi learn added to global on/off, global volume and velocity curve (Blue Reeds only).
Blue Reeds is available to purchase for 49 EUR. Glue Reeds can be downloaded as freeware.
More information: Mokafix Audio / Blue Reeds / Glue Reeds
Puremagnetik has released two new Micropaks: Model-C and AmpPak.
Model-C is an advanced multi-sampled Hohner Clavinet instrument.
- 250MB of sampled Clavinet content from the original C model.
- Optimized for Ableton Live, Kontakt, Logic and GarageBand.
- Intricately programmed with easy edit controls and integrated effects.
- Self contained instrument complete with multi-pickup selection and mechanical noise controls.
- Also included are 50 high quality loops recorded by professional New York studio keyboardists.
AmpPak is a collection of sophisticated amplifier and speaker effects for Ableton Live.
AmpPak features 17 amplifier and speaker effects that can be used on anything from drums, to guitars, to vocals and synthesizers. Each rack contains a specially programmed selection of effects from overdriven metal to crunchy glitch percussion processors.
Visit Puremagnetik for more information and audio demos.
, drum machine
, Electro Harmonix
, samples and sound libraries
Posted in reviews
on Mar 24, 2008 - 0 comments
Goldbaby Productions has released another sample library featuring some sampled drum machines: Analog AutoRhythms Vol 1.
After the familiar sounds of the The Tape808, 909 and freebie 606 (all Roland TR machines), Goldbaby dug up 8 somewhat more obscure vintage drum machines to sample.
Analog AutoRhythms Vol 1 comes with a nice PDF with detailed information on each drum machine.
- Conn Rhapsody Rhythm Unit — This is a (rare) rhythm unit from a Conn Rhapsody organ. It has 22 presets and 10 sounds.
- Korg Rhythm 55B — This Roland CR competitor has some warm analog sounds. It has a stunning 96 patterns, and 10 sounds (looks like this is the version 2 model without the disco rhythms).
- Electro Harmonix DRM 15 / 16 / 32 — Features the lovely space-drum and the snap sounds. The analogue sounds from these boxes are great for electro music.
- Eko Ritmo 12 — The little brother of the Ritmo 20, this rhythm box has 12 preset rhythms.
- Univox Micro Rhythmer — A small little analog box with 8 preset rhythms and 5 individual sounds. I thought the Rhythmer only had a kick sound with layered hihat, but this machine does have the individual base drum sound (and snare, hi hat, open hi hat and rim shot).
- Roland Rhythm 330 — The Rhythm 330 (or TR-330) has a warm analog sound. It’s another organ rhythm box without the actual organ. Comes with some lovely cheesy patterns.
- Hohner Rhythm 80K — This German rhythm unit features 80 patterns and 8 sounds. It’s sounds rather tame with a subby kick and modest snare sounds.
- Olson X-100 — An American rhythm unit that nobody seems to know much about. The 8 individual sounds can be triggered. It sounds quite noisy and rough to me.
The nice thing about these analog drum machines is that you’ll virtually never hear the exact same sound twice. Goldbaby has recorded multiple samples of each drum sound to give you the same kind of analog feel.
Besides the samples you also get tons of the presets in REX format so you can play the rhythms as if you have the real thing.
So what do I think?
I realize these type of samples are not everyone’s cup of tea (Zak, do not buy this!), but if you’re into vintage analog drum machine sounds, you’re going to like this one.
Since it’s a Goldbaby library you can also be sure the quality is top notch and the price is right: $24 USD for Guru, $19 USD for the Wav & Rex Pack.
More information: Goldbaby Productions / Analog AutoRhythms Vol 1