Rhythmic Robot has announced the release of Crank, a hybrid synthesiser instrument for Kontakt, featuring acoustic and electronic sources in a 4-oscillator architecture.
Crank takes over six hundred samples of an Eastern European stringed hurdy-gurdy – and places them at the heart of a four-oscillator analogue synthesiser framework ideally suited to the creation of strange, eerie, evolving patches.
The acoustic hurdy-gurdy produces its sounds by rubbing a rosined wooden wheel over a series of violin-style strings: the sound is half violin, half hand-cranked barrel organ and can be both plaintive and raw-sounding. Rhythmic Robot has sampled a hurdy-gurdy extensively to create the basic tones for Crank, and named the instrument after the handle that the player cranks round to make the hurdy-gurdy play.
The twin Crank oscillators are independently controllable, with dual filters, envelopes, pitch control, LFOs and so on; they also run in tandem with twin Analogue Oscillators, adding some classic analogue waves to the tonal palette. The characteristic attack “squeal” of the acoustic hurdy-gurdy can be turned on or off individually, and the sound sources mixed and blended to create haunting and evocative instruments that sound “almost real.”
- Unique blend of characterful acoustic and analogue electronic waveforms.
- Constant erratic instability to add colour and organic warmth to the sound.
- Multi-Osc adds up to ten detunable oscillators.
- Two different noise types – white analogue and vinyl crackle.
- Dual filters with different filter types and LFO control.
- Factory library of over 60 patches.
The library is available for purchase for the introductory price of £19.95 GBP (regular £24.95 GBP). Requires Kontakt v.4.2.3 or later, full version.
More information: Rhythmic Robot
Taleweaver Orchestra has launched Ancient Madame, a virtual Hurdy Gurdy instrument library for Native Instruments Kontakt 5.
The Hurdy Gurdy is an instrument that is older than thousand years. With its absolutely unique sound it is well known as a medieval instrument that is still often being played on medieval events. Taleweaver Orchestra took it upon himself to capture the smoky voice of this wonderful French Lady and make it ready for your own musical creations. I think the “Ancient Madame” has become a precious asset of the “Ancient Series”.
The library includes high quality recordings in 48 kHz / 24 bit wave format arranged in three and a half octaves. The first octave contains the drone sounds and the others the lead voices. You can choose between several high and low G or D drones or even use them both at the same time. It is possible to set the volume of the drones in separation to the lead voice. You can also adjust the volume of the key sounds. Every lead tone consists of three round robins.
The Ancient Madame library is available to purchase for 9.99 EUR. Requires Kontakt 188.8.131.5282 or above, full version.
More information: Taleweaver Orchestra
Soniccouture, in conjunction with The Birmingham Conservatoire, has announced The Conservatoire Collection, a completely unique collection of 10 different baroque, renaissance and early musical instruments.
The collection centres around two magnificent reproduction harpsichords, and also features guitars, theorbos and a hurdy gurdy.
These beautiful new instruments bring the soundscape of our musical past to life, showing us how incredibly diverse our modern instruments’ predecessors were. We are now able to enter into our musical heritage more faithfully, and the new palette of sounds available offers fresh inspiration for composers today.
The Conservatoire Collection features
- 23 GB core sample library ( 9 GB on disc with NCW lossless compression).
- 24 bit 96 khz stereo sampling.
- 10 Kontakt Player instruments: French Harpsichord, Flemish Harpsichord, Theorbo, English Theorbo, Baroque Guitar, Psaltery, Baroque Timpani, Renaissance Side Drums, Nakers, Hurdy Gurdy.
- Up to 10 velocity layers, 3 alternate Round Robin layers.
- Key-off samples and multiple articulations according to instrument.
- Real time hand postion control for guitar instruments.
- Custom Convolution Reverb Impulse response library.
- User selectable scales and tuning control for all pitched instruments.
The Conservatoire Collection is available at an introductory price of €179 EUR / $219 USD until Sept 16, 2011. Use coupon code OVD069KVPK at checkout to take advantage of this offer.
More information: Soniccouture / The Conservatoire Collection
Sonokinetic has announced the release of Hurdy Gurdy, a sound library for Native Instruments Kontakt.
Step into our time machine and explore musical heritage like never before. For over 500 years this instrument has been an essential musical ingredient in music styles across Europe, Eurasia and large parts of the Middle East. Forming a base of harmony and rhythm and a solid musical environment for melody instruments to perform in, spreading its sound from the early medieval inns, taverns in the Golden Age to the festive Hobbit scenes of the Lord Of The Rings movies. This versatile and distinctive sound instantly triggers the imagination and lingers on to colour the musical picture the composer tries to paint.
Hurdy Gurdy features
- Single instrument for Kontakt 4.2.3 and higher with configuration panels.
- Realistic simulation of wood effects – melody keys and handle.
- Convolution reverb applied to the instrument to represent original acoustic spaces.
- Sonokinetic IR options to allow dynamic assignment and configuration of the convolution effects.
- Customizable key mapping to suit your preference. Normal or flipped style.
- Hurdy Gurdy Reference manual (pdf).
- Artwork : “Hurdy Gurdy” dvd cover. Designed by Pavel Fuksa.
- Programming : “Hurdy Gurdy” Kontakt script and instruments by Blake Robinson.
- Format: All files in 48 kHz, 24bit mono aif format.
- Total size 1,04 GB total amount of samples: 1416 samples.
Sonokinetic Hurdy Gurdy is available to purchase for 49.90 EUR.
More information: Sonokinetic / Hurdy Gurdy
Soundbytes has announced it has released version 1.1 of its entire VST plug-in range.
The Update brings major improvements and stability to the VST synthesizers BagPipes, HurdyGurdy and HurdyGurdyLE as well as to the VST effect plugins Sympathizer and StringVerb.
Changes in Soundbytes plug-ins v1.1
- All Plugins
- New Value display allows to read and modify the exact parameter value for all knob and fader controls.
- New fine tune VST parameters allow exact retuning of all voices through VST automatisation. This works fine as well when only standard low resolution midi controlers are available.
- Midi note range borders can conveniently be inserted from a midi keyboard.
- Numerous bug fixes increase the overall stability and usability of the plugins.
- BagPipes, HurdyGurdy and HurdyGurdyLE
- The newly integrated midi monitor displays all incoming midi messages.
- Midi controler setup parameters are now stored independently from the patch data. Up to six midi configurations can be recalled.
- Stepper buttons change color when a note outside the recorded range is selected in the tuning and chanter range sections.
- Keyboard direction can be turned over in the HurdyGurdy instrument. This is very useful for those who play the traditional hurdy gurdy instrument where the keys play in reverse direction. The feature allows to play and practise traditional hurdy gurdy riffs and fingerings on a standard midi keyboard. (not available for BagPipes).
- Sympathizer and StringVerb
- Resonator engine has been thoroughly redesigned.
- Location of tuning table files is remembered to enable effortless loading and saving of pitch list descriptions.
- New fader grouping option copy has been added. (Sympathizer only).
Soundbytes instrument and effect plug-ins are available for Windows PC (VST). The updates are free for all registered users.
More information: Soundbytes
BOLDER Sounds has released B.O.B. Early Music Instruments and B.O.B. Fortepiano Full Edition, two sample libraries. B.O.B. Early Music Instruments is a collection of instruments spanning from the hurdy gurdy of the medieval period to … read more