Adam Monroe Music has released a Mac OS X version of Honky Tonk Piano and updated the Windows version to 2.0.
Adam Monroe’s Honky Tonk piano is an instrument/sample library that is designed to replicate the full range and “honky” sound of a vintage chickering upright piano.
Changes in Honky Tonk Piano v2.0
- Added a GUI pop-up window that tells a user how many samples have been loaded.
- Added multi-threading and a “Buffer For” switch. Dramatically improves playback on slower systems.
- Eliminated the need for sample data to exist in VST directory.
- Fixed problem with audio “pops” when holding down notes until their end.
- Optimized slow c++ code (dynamic lists) down to optimized C code (static arrays) and optimized buffering code.
- Wave file buffers are now properly freed when closing plugin.
- Eliminated 100MB deallocation memory leak.
- Eliminated the need for sample data to exist in VST directory, a user can now place samples anywhere and the VST will ask for their location.
Honky Tonk Piano (VST/AU/Kontakt) is available for purchase for $20 USD.
More information: Adam Monroe Music / Honky Tonk Piano
Sound Magic has announced the release of Imperial Grand with Neo Piano Hybrid Modelling Engine, the successor of the “Imperial Grand” virtual piano instrument.
Imperial Grand starts with the famous dark, rich Bösendorfer tone. By using the newly developed Neo Piano Engine, Imperial Grand reproduces the magnificent dynamic and various timbre colors of a Bösendorfer 290 SE.
The unique feature of Imperial Grand is that you can forge your own sound with it. Through our online customize sound system, you can easily forge your personal sound. You not only get a standard Bösendorfer sound ,but also get a sound fit for your taste. And more important, other Imperial Grand users do not have this sound because it is customized for you only. This makes Imperial Grand unique to you and cannot duplicate. It will become your “secret ” weapon in your music production.
Neo Piano features a custom built Hybrid DFD/RAM system. It is a very flexible system which can be optimized for different playing applications. If you are using an old system with low RAM,DFD will work well. If you are using a top performance 64bit system with plenty of RAM, you can choose to play Neo Piano totally from RAM. A balance of DFD and RAM samples can be utilized to optimize general performance. In All cases Sound Quality remains at the highest level. For live stage performances, the entire piano sample set can be loaded into RAM, removing any worries about OS interference with Hard Disc access. For Studio and Composition use, DFD is ideal with modern computers.
A major breakthrough in Neo Piano Engine is the resonance engine. Every Grand Piano has a very large soundboard which reflects sound which resonates together with the piano’s wood body. This is a continuous process and makes every note sound unique. In order to simulate this behavior, Sound Magic first captures multi angle IRs from the soundboard, then applies ground-breaking technology to convert those IRs into Resonance Engine Algorithms. The result is an amazing concert hall sound reproduction full of life.
Imperial Grand for Windows and Mac (VST/AU) is available for purchase for 129 EUR/$169 USD/£105 GBP.
More information: Sound Magic / Imperial Grand
Modartt has launched Pianoteq 5, an update of the virtual piano instrument for Windows, Mac and Linux.
We have devoted two years of research to developing and refining the award-winning Pianoteq physical model.
Pianoteq 5 brings a new clarity and authenticity to the piano sound. Moreover, it offers no less than 9 new piano models, and sound recording is taken to a higher level of control with the addition of directional microphones, letting you choose from a range of well-known microphone brands.
Changes in Pianoteq 5
- All instruments brought up-to-date with latest model improvements, D4 and YC5 re-built from scratch.
- Nine new instruments: Grand K2 and the Kremsegg Collection.
- The free KIVIR instruments are still those of version 4, but we are working on them and a very improved version will be available soon. Stay tuned.
- Directional microphones support, which can be rotated in all directions.
- Many microphone models, with various directivity patterns, are available.
- Microphones can be linked together, and then moved or rotated together.
- The polarity of a microphone can be reversed (for M/S recording situations, typically).
- The four pedals of the interface can be re-assigned to a few parameters such as Rattle, Lute Stop, Celeste, Super Sostenuto.
- Improved key noises, with an optional humanization of the parameters.
- Pianoteq presets (FXP files) can now embed a short MIDI excerpt.
- Dithering added to the audio export in Pianoteq Standalone.
- Small metronome improvements.
Pianoteq 5 is available for purchase for 99 EUR (Stage) / 249 EUR (Standard) / 399 EUR (Pro). Owners of previous versions of Pianoteq can upgrade for 29 EUR.
More information: Pianoteq
, Abbey Road
, instrument plugins
Posted in news
on May 15, 2014 - 0 comments
MakeMusic and Abbey Road Studios have announced the release Garritan Abbey Road Studios CFX Concert Grand, a new virtual piano instrument.
To create this new instrument, Yamaha’s flagship CFX Concert Grand piano was recorded in Abbey Road Studios’ historic Studio One by renowned engineers, blending the latest technology with legendary equipment and acoustics.
“We are very pleased to announce that we have released the CFX Concert Grand,” said Gary Garritan, MakeMusic director of instrumental sciences. “This is the most detailed and advanced project our team has completed. We are honored to have this partnership with Abbey Road Studios, and the support of Yamaha, and are excited about the enthusiastic reaction this virtual piano has received so far. Today we’re proud to make an instrument with this kind of power, richness and clarity available to everyone.”
Garritan Abbey Road Studios CFX Concert Grand provides users three discrete microphone perspectives:
- Classic – captures the natural tonal character, clarity and nuance of the CFX.
- Contemporary – produces a bright and brilliant sound with definitive attack from the hammers.
- Player – delivers the unique experience of playing from the piano bench in Studio One.
The CFX Concert Grand includes the powerful ARIA player, and is designed to be a perfect addition to music notation-based programs, like Finale, as well as to all sequencers and digital audio workstations.
“It’s been an absolute pleasure working with Gary and the MakeMusic team on the CFX project,” said Mirek Stiles, head of audio products at Abbey Road Studios. “The ability to mix both close and ambient signals, as if you are in Studio One, is simply breathtaking. This beautifully sampled instrument is worthy of the Abbey Road Studios name.”
The CFX Concert Grand is available for purchase for $299.95 USD.
More information: Garritan / CFX Concert Grand
, instrument plugins
, samples and sound libraries
, Versilian Studios
Posted in news
on Apr 08, 2014 - 0 comments
Versilian Studios has announced the release of Timpani, VS Upright No. 1 and VS Chamber Orchestra, three new virtual instruments.
Kontakt version of Versilian Studio’s Timpani virtual instrument.
New Versilian Studios instruments
- Timpani: Extensively sampled Timpani (Wholetone sampling; 4-6x RR, 5 Velocity Layers, stereo). Available for Kontakt and also as a VSTi/AU. Price $15 USD.
- VS Upright No. 1: Medium-sized sampled upright piano ideal for sketches (3 velocity layers, 2x RR, sampled in tritones to reduce size). Available as a VSTi/AU. Free or donation.
- VS Chamber Orchestra: Very light selection of orchestral and wind ensemble instruments ideal for beginner composers (featuring concert flute, clarinet, bassoon, F horn, trumpet, tenor bone, bass bone, tubular bells, xylophone, glockenspiel, timpani, large percussion section, harp, piano, solo violin, and violin section, all using accurate ranges). Free or donation.
Versilian Studios has also ported a number of its previously released products to the Kontakt format.
- Dan Tranh: Vietnamese pentatonic zither that uses metal strings.
- Tubular Bells: Suspended chimes used to emulate church bells in orchestral music.
- Glockenspiel: Deep-sampled chime-like mallet instrument.
- Handchimes: Strange cross between a hand-bell and a tuning fork.
More information: Versilian Studios
Sound Magic has released version 1.5 of its Piano One for Mac, a free virtual piano instrument.
The Sound of Piano One comes from the Yamaha C7 concert grand, a true workhorse in the professional piano world, appearing on famous concert stages, in international competitions and in prestigious music events throughout the world.
Changes in Piano One v1.5 for Mac
- Improved polyphony numbers.
- Supports newest OSX Version.
- Better reverb settings.
- Improved CPU usage.
- Many minor fixes.
The plug-in is available to download for Windows and Mac (VST/AU) at no cost.
More information: Sound Magic / Piano One
Sound Magic has released version 2.9 of its Rose Whisper Piano and Ruby Piano virtual piano instruments for Windows and Mac.
The sound of Rose Whisper Piano comes from Fazioli “Brunei”, a concert grand which is worth over $400,000. Fazioli “Brunei” is the most expensive concert grand piano over the world. Fazioli, a piano manufacturer in Italy, is considered to produce the best sounding grand pianos nowadays. Based on its famous Fazioli F308, the 10 foot concert grand model, Fazioli “Brunei” is decorated with flowers in mother of pearls, features semi-precious stones in various types.
Ruby Piano starts with the Famous Yamaha C7 sound, Appearing on famous concert stages, international competitions and prestigious music events throughout the world. Ruby Piano has successfully captured the mellow sustain and beautiful tones of a Yamaha C7 built in 1972, which has original ivory keys.
Changes since v2.5
- Works better under OSX 10.9.
- Improved reverb algorithm and range.
- Adjusted some parameters.
- Improved CPU usage.
- Updated engine version.
Both instruments are available to purchase for Windows and Mac (VST/AU), priced at 99 EUR each.
More information: Sound Magic