Audiofile Engineering has announced the release of Quiztones for Mac as well as an update to the iOS version for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Quiztones is an innovative ear training application designed to help audio professionals and musicians accomplish better mixing, recording and live sound. Quiztones uses quizzes to engage users in training exercises from frequency tones to EQ boosts/cuts on pink noise, instrument loops, and songs in a user’s music library. Quiztones trains the ears to instantly and intuitively recognize frequencies, which is useful for tasks like mixing, adjusting EQ settings, and identifying and eliminating feedback.
Previously available only for iOS, Quiztones is now available for Mac and is the new, must-have accessory for audio engineers and musicians working in home or professional studios. The Mac version boasts similar features as the iOS version, including over 40 quizzes, but with the addition of a score log and 1/3 octave quizzes included in the purchase price.
Quiztones iOS has been updated to version 1.6 and now offers an Expert Mode of 1/3 octave quizzes (available as In-App Purchase) to challenge even the most accomplished audio professional. This new version also includes bass, electric guitar, strings, and orchestra content in the purchase price, previously only available via In-App Purchase. Finally, version 1.6 includes a native iPad interface to make the best use of the larger display.
Quiztones for Mac is available on the Mac App Store for $19.99 USD. Quiztones for iOS is available through iTunes for $4.99 USD.
More information: Quiztones
Related: Andre Christopher Lyon
, IK Multimedia
, Marcello Valenzano
Posted in news
on Jan 18, 2011 - 0 comments
IK Multimedia has announced the release of the GrooveMaker Cool & Dre, a new artist-created GrooveMaker® app for iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad, played and composed by Grammy Nominated, BMI award-winning producers, Marcello ‘Cool’ Valenzano and Andre ‘Dre’ Christopher Lyon.
With over 1 million downloads since its release over a year ago, GrooveMaker has become one of the top loop remixing application for the iPhone, iPod Touch and now the iPad. The new installment, GrooveMaker Cool & Dre, allows you to create professional, full-length songs in minutes, with its unique combination of advanced remixing software and high-quality included loops’ sound content.
GrooveMaker Cool & Dre App features
- Massive loops library of drums, bass, bass-drums, lines, pads, percussion, effects.
- West Coast and Dirty South hip-hop style.
- 4 included songs + 1 FREE song when you register.
- 315 loops.
- 89-68.5-67-69-90 BPM.
- 355 MB of samples.
GrooveMaker Cool & Dre for the iPhone/iPod Touch is priced at $7.99/€5.99, the iPad version is $9.99/€7.99. Both are available in the Apple iTunes App Store. A fully functional GrooveMaker FREE version is also available.
More information: IK Multimedia / GrooveMaker Cool & Dre App
Indaba Music has announced the Blue Microphones Songwriting Competition.
Purchasing a membership to Indaba Music is always a great idea, but the next two weeks will be the perfect time to join the state-of-the-art online music community. From January 10th through January 24th, Blue Microphones is proud to offer new and renewing Indaba members some of their innovative products. Blue Microphones will provide a free Icicle ($59 value)—a stylish new USB converter and mic preamp combo — with the purchase of a $50 Indaba “Pro” yearly membership. Those who purchase a $250 “Platinum” Indaba yearly membership will receive a free Yeti ($149 value) — the most advanced and versatile multi-pattern USB microphone available anywhere – plus, an Icicle. Both Indaba memberships also include free shipping, with no tax.
By joining Indaba, members also have the opportunity to enter the site’s latest original songwriting contest. Sponsored by Blue Microphones and beginning on January 10th through February 7th, artists can submit songs in any style featuring vocals for the chance to earn a Grand Prize that includes a round-trip flight to Los Angeles, two nights in a hotel, a day recording at Blue Microphones’ state-of-the-art studio and $1,000 cash.
IndabaMusic.com currently enables over 550,000 musicians from over 200 countries and territories to network and utilize professional recording, music lessons, artistic collaborations, and other career-making opportunities at its recently launched Opportunity Marketplace. Multi-platinum recording artist Rivers Cuomo of Weezer said, “Indaba opens the door for a giant population of musicians.”
In addition to receiving an Icicle, the annual ($50/year) Indaba “Pro” membership includes:
- Unlimited submissions to opportunities like major label record releases, remix competitions, music licensing, and jobs.
- Distribution of 15 songs to iTunes.
- An embeddable direct-to-consumer store.
- 15% off purchases of digital sheet music and video lessons.
- Discounts from Connect by Hertz, Sweetwater and Electronic Musician and more (a value of more than $200).
In addition to receiving a Yeti and an Icicle, the annual ($250/year) Indaba “Platinum” membership includes all the benefits of a “Pro” membership plus:
- Distribution of 50 songs to iTunes.
- 30% off purchases of digital sheet music and video lessons.
More information: Indaba Music / Blue Microphones Songwriting Competition
Numark has introduced iDJ, a new app which allows you to create seamless, synchronized playlists using your iTunes music library on iPad.
iDJ allows anyone to make instant, continuous mixtapes of their favorite songs all blended together as one in perfect rhythm. As fun as it is powerful, iDJ’s elegant interface and patented technology will have you assembling customized soundtracks that ignite, accompany and enhance every occasion. Whether for workouts, road trips, dance parties or any other event, iDJ keeps your music moving and completely in time for an exciting new playlist experience.
iDJ’s music management system is both simple and streamlined letting you quickly build playlists using any song within your iTunes music library. More than just a lightning-fast method of building mobile mixtapes, however, iDJ’s patented BPM (beats per minute) detection technology makes your music meld together as one. As you add songs, iDJ analyzes their sonic-waveforms, calculates tempos and then automatically performs optimal transitions throughout the playlist. In the DJ world, it’s called “beat-matching”; the art of sequencing multiple songs in succession at the same speed as if one continual song. The end result being a playlist that flows from start to finish as a cohesive track.
- Create seamless, synchronized playlists of your iTunes music library on iPad.
- Automatically detects songs’ tempo and performs crossfades in perfect time.
- Mix up to four songs at once for a completely new playlist experience.
- Playlists can contain an unlimited number of songs.
- Playlists can support audio WAV, MP3 and AAC files.
- Easily manage your iDJ music using Itunes 9.2 (or later) on Mac or PC.
iDJ for iPad is available to purchase from the iTunes App Store for $9.99 USD.
More information: Numark / iDJ
, GUI and skins
, open source
Posted in news
on Oct 11, 2010 - 0 comments
Mixxx, the free, open source software for performing live DJ mixes, was updated to version 1.8.0.
Developed by a diverse community of DJs, Mixxx is a complete replacement for a conventional “turntables and mixer” DJ setup, and is available for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.
“Deere” skin, new in Mixxx 1.8.0
Changes since Mixxx v1.7.2
- Loop-in, Loop-out, and Reloop/Exit buttons added to our main skins.
- Loop point indicators on main waveforms and waveform summary displays.
- Hot cues
- Most of our skins gained 4 hot cue buttons, and Mixxx now internally supports up to 32 hot cues per deck.
- A brand new database-powered library, with:
- iTunes library and playlists access (Windows and Mac OS X)
- Rhythmbox library and playlists access (Linux)
- A brand new, faster library scanner
- A simple Auto DJ mode, which crossfades to the next track in the Auto DJ queue.
- Analyze view, which allows you to run bulk BPM detection on your songs
- Featured Artists bundle (Windows and Mac OS X)
- Revamped Song Properties dialog
- Re-arrangeable, hide-able columns
- Tons of new artwork:
- New Deere, Shade, Phoney, and LateNight skins
- Better descriptions in tooltips and snazzy new look
- New PortMidi-based MIDI device backend, supports using multiple devices at once
- Timers in the MIDI scripting engine
- New MIDI mappings:
- Hercules DJ Control e2
- DJ TechTools MIDI Fighter
- Reloop Digital Jockey2
- Updated MIDI mappings:
- Hercules DJ Control MP3, RMX, MK2
- Stanton SCS.3d, SCS.3m
- M-Audio Xponent
- Behringer BCD3000
- Vestax VCI-100
- MixMan DM2
- Other stuff:
- A massive rewrite of our internal mixing engine
- More intelligent disk access to help optimize audio latency
- Optimized waveform rendering at 30 fps
- Ramping pitch-bend option, smoothly applies temporary pitch adjustment for nudging
- Import comment tags from MP3, Ogg Vorbis, and FLAC/WAV metadata.
- New library and preferences icons
- Improvements to UTF-8 handling
- Over 50 bug fixes and more!
More information: Mixxx
BIAS has announced the release of SoundSaver, a new software solution for Mac and Windows computing platforms that greatly streamlines the process of converting and restoring LPs and tapes.
SoundSaver easily records your audio collection with unparalleled results.
Simply connect, record, clean, and export — directly to iTunes, as MP3, or uncompressed WAV files for CD/DVD burning!
Archiving your LPs and tapes has never been easier — SoundSaver delivers pro-quality results at an affordable price!
- Simply connect, record, clean, and export — directly to iTunes, as MP3, or uncompressed WAV files for CD/DVD burning!
- Archiving your LPs and tapes has never been easier — SoundSaver delivers pro-quality results at an affordable price!
- Start Page: SoundSaver’s Start Page is where you begin your projects. You can choose to make a new recording — or open an existing audio file or SoundSaver project file. SoundSaver’s all-in-one interface is easy and intuitive to use, and is powered by BIAS’ highly-acclaimed audio processing technology.
- Connection Page: The Connection Page guides you through making the physical connection between your stereo system (or other audio source) and your computer. Once connected, it can automatically set the recording level for you (or you can set it manually).
- Record Page: The Record Page is where you can start a new audio recording, and set up various recording options, such as a Record Timer, adding Track Markers, and adjusting the speed of 78 RPM records.
- Many more features.
SoundSave for PC and Mac is available to purchase for the introductory price of $49.95 USD (MSRP). A free 14-day trial and tutorial video of SoundSaver is available from the BIAS website.
More information: BIAS / SoundSaver
Pioneer has released version 1.2.1 of rekordbox, a professional DJ management software for Windows and Mac.
rekordbox™, our digital music management software collaboration with MixVibes – the iTunes© for DJs – is now being made a free download to all DJs after the successful launch of their new club standard CDJs.
rekordbox™Up until now, rekordbox™ software was only available with a purchase of either the
CDJ-900 or CDJ-2000, enabling a host of important functionalities, but from 17th May 2010, it will be available for anyone. Even without the players at home, DJs can utilise the software to prepare tracks in advance, ready for the CDJ-900s or CDJ-2000s at the club.
- Manage music files which can be played back on a Pioneer DJ Player (i.e. CDJ-2000, CDJ-900).
- Classify and search for music files stored on your computer and create playlists used for DJ performance.
- Detect, measure and adjust the beats, tempos (BPM) and other elements of your music files prior to performance.
- Set and store point information (for cueing, looping, hot cueing, etc.) prior to performance.
rekordbox for PC and Mac is available to download at no charge (requires free license).
More information: Pioneer rekordbox