Wizdom Music has released Geo Synthesizer is a musical instrument and MIDI controller for iOS.
A collaboration of Wizdom Music’s Jordan Rudess and Kevin Chartier (MorphWiz, SampleWiz) and Rob Fielding (Mugician), Geo Synthesizer is an incredibly expressive musical instrument specifically created for a multitouch surface.
Jordan says: “Since touching a preliminary piano keyboard on an iPhone screen and realizing the amazing potential for musical expression on a multitouch device, I have been inspired to create next-generation musical instruments for iOS. Geo Synthesizer is a dream come true in many ways. It is the fastest truly playable iOS instrument that I have put my hands on to date. I can fly through the range of an instrument while expanding on the kind of advanced pitch control we introduced in MorphWiz. As someone who grew up with synthesizers, I can tell you that pitch bending has never been this good!
Geo Synthesizer features
- Ability to load waveforms from SampleWiz presets.
- Octave rounding for effortless soloing over large ranges.
- Whammy slider with absolute and relative modes.
- 12ET, 24ET, 53ET, and 665ET temperament options.
- Mono, string, and full-polyphony modes.
- Tuning and transposition controls.
- Snap speed control to affect how quickly the instrument pulls notes in tune.
- Playing surface options for number of rows and columns on screen.
- Octave and fifth harmonics synthesis options to rich, organ-like sounds.
- Gain control to add distortion to the sound.
- FM and touch FM controls for timbal variation.
- Mono out for use with guitar amps.
- Sine, sawtooth, square, and custom (SampleWiz) wave options.
- Attack and release controls.
- Synthesis body control.
- Lowpass filter with resonance.
- Stereo delay.
- MIDI output with polyphonic note bending and multiple configuration options to allow compatibility with a wide range of hardware and software synthesizers.
- Performance menu lets you make your own custom menu so all the controls you need are always right at your fingertips.
- 40 presets carefully selected by Jordan Rudess, including patches from Jordan’s personal sound library.
Geo Synthesizer for iOS is available to purchase for $9.99 USD.
More information: Geo Synthesizer
Wizdom Music has released MorphWiz a vertical grid based musical instrument for iPhone/iPod touch/iPad that allows a whole new level of expressive control.
Created by Jordan Rudess and Kevin Chartier, MorphWiz is enjoyable for beginners and seasoned musicians alike. It contains over 50 presets programmed by the wizard himself, Jordan Rudess, to allow for an instantly musical experience from the moment the application is first opened. For more experienced users, a wide array of synthesis, effects, and visual options allow the instrument to be precisely configured to the user’s tastes.
- Assign audio waveforms as visual shapes to the grid and morph between them with your fingers on the grid or the accelerometer.
- Advanced pitch control allows the player to round the pitch of the initial attack of any note. It also recognizes when your finger stops after a slide, and rounds your notes to the nearest diatonic pitch.
- Rounding pitch on initial attack.
- Rounding pitch after a slide.
- Independent pitch and synthesis control for up to 10 simultaneous notes.
- Finger Vibrato Effect (FVE) where you can achieve vibrato even when lock pitch is selected and the pitch is snapping to the grid!
- Velocity Controlled Animation (VCA) in sync with your musical performance.
- Complete control over what parameters you see on the screen.
- Adjustable location for performance controls.
- Editing never interrupts the sound and audio output.
- Trippy full-color, animated particles, fire, and ring effects visually radiate under your fingertips and display real time pitch information.
- Choose from a wide variety of scales and chords to assign to the playing surface with easy customization.
- Choose to display names of notes or intervals to help guide you.
- Consistent color display for pitch lines which indicate each step of the scale.
- Playing surface is adjustable between 1 and 6 octaves.
- Performance controls include octave shift, pitch lock on/off, record to delay buffer on/off, infinity delay setting on/off, and multi-function slider.
- Unison detuning effect with separate pan control for that classic analog thickness.
- Refined and intuitive FM (Frequency Modulation) synthesis can be assigned to the vertical grid or accelerometer.
- Wave Sync Synthesis (WSS) can also be assigned to the vertical grid or accelerometer.
- Volume separately assignable to vertical grid.
- Adjustable note attack and release time.
- Infinite-Track Loop (ITL) recorder features user-selectable measures and beats.
- Record Undo and Redo.
- Reverse play.
- FX include digital delay, stereo chorus, and tremolo, the latter of which is assignable to the X-Axis.
MorphWiz is available to purchase from the iTunes App Store for $9.99 USD.
More information: MorphWiz