Backbeat Books has announced Jimi Hendrix The Ultimate Lyric Book, a collection featuring never-before-seen songs, photos, and handwritten lyrics.
Jimi Hendrix was such an extraordinary guitarist, it is easy to forget that just as much passion, soul, and precision went into his lyrics. Inspired by Bob Dylan, Hendrix was a fearless lyrical innovator, willing to let his imagination guide him to uncharted landscapes within the pop music realm. From the existential euphoria of “I Don’t Live Today” to the elusive beauty of “Little Wing” to the psychedelic blues of “My Friend” to the otherworldly “1983 (A Merman I Should Turn to Be),” his lyrics remain among the greatest in the pantheon of rock, infused with the same inventiveness, virtuosity, and courage that informed his guitar playing.
Jimi Hendrix: The Ultimate Lyric Book contains all the words to the Hendrix classics fans have rocked along to for years, as well as unpublished songs from “Valley of Neptune” and other previously undiscovered sources. Compiled by Jimi’s sister, Janie L. Hendrix, Jimi Hendrix: The Ultimate Lyric Book is extraordinarily personal, and includes numerous examples of Jimi’s handwritten lyrics, often scribbled on hotel stationery, as well as photos of him that accompany every song.
Much of the material has never been seen before. “When I was a child, I was always fascinated by my brother Jimi’s handwriting,” recalled Janie Hendrix, who compiled this collection. “It was an art form in and of itself. I remember the feeling of being captivated the first time I saw his handwritten lyrics, thinking how beautiful, how complicated both the writing and the words were on paper. Even now they offer such an insight into who my brother was and is.”
Jimi Hendrix: The Ultimate Lyric Book will give fans a glimpse of the lyricist behind the songs, a songwriter whose words were just as searing as his solos.
The book is available to purchase for $40 USD.
More information: Backbeat Books / Jimi Hendrix The Ultimate Lyric Book
PowerFX has released Oliver, a sound library for Vocaloid 3, the updated singing synthesis software from Yamaha.
“Oliver” is modeled after a real vocalist, a 12 year old choir boy with a pure and clear voice. “Oliver has the best pronunciation of any Vocaloid to date”, says Bil Bryant of PowerFX. “Improvements in the synthesis software and the addition of being able to record tri-phones have improved the quality and naturalness of the vocal.”
The release of Vocaloid 3 is a departure from the previous two versions of Vocaloid where each title included the editor and the voice bank (the Artist). As of Vocaloid 3, an artist title includes the voice bank and a lite version of the editor. The lite version is only 17 bars long and allows one imported stereo track.
The full version of the Vocaloid 3 editor is sold separately and can be used with many different Vocaloid 3 artists as well as Vocaloid 2 artists. Another difference with Vocaloid 3 is that it is a standalone version only with no VST implementation. “I think the Vocaloid 3 editor is easier to use than previous versions”, states Bryant, “we are really excited to hear what users are going to create with Vocaloid 3″.
Vocaloid3 Editor Lite features
- Piano-roll style note editor, importing functionality from a standard MIDI file (limited for 1 track and 17 bars).
- Inputting lyrics and automatic conversion to phonemes.
- Assigning musical expression templates from an Icon Palette.
- Sending notes, lyrics and musical expression to the Synthesis Engine as set forth below and activating synthesis.
- Saving vocal data as a wave file.
- Changing synthesis parameters.
- Effects (Reverb only).
- Playback .wav files.
Oliver is available to purchase as a download for $129 USD/99 EUR, or on DVD for $149 USD/129 EUR. A bundle with Vocaloid 3 editor is also available.
More information: PowerFX / Oliver
Intermorphic has released version 18.104.22.168 of generative music software Noatikl and song, music & rap lyrics generator Liptikl to version 22.214.171.124.
Changes in Noatikl v126.96.36.199
- Added (often-requested) per-file multi-level Undo/Redo for parameter edits. Certain actions clear the file’s undo/redo buffer, e.g. object add/delete/rename.
- Added new Articulation parameter group (see online User Guide for further details). Noatikl notes always used to be played “Legato” – this allows you to play them staccato.
- Articulation (min).
- Articulation range.
- Articulation variation (min).
- Articulation variation range.
- Mac: Fixed problem with auto-loading via Finder file double-click.
Changes in Liptikl v188.8.131.52
- Mac: Fixed problem with auto-loading via Finder file double-click.
Noatikl and Liptikl are available to purchase for Windows and Mac for $99.99 USD and $24.99 USD respectively.
More information: Intermorphic
Roland has announced the new BK-7m, a portable backing module that can connect to any MIDI-compatible instrument, such as a keyboard, digital piano, or digital accordion.
With hundreds of accompaniment styles, high quality sounds, and an easy-to-use interface, the BK-7m is the perfect companion for any entertainer.
Equipped with a top-level sound engine, the BK-7m includes 128-voice polyphony, an SSC Sound Engine with over 1,000 sounds and 57 drum kits, some of which include Roland’s acclaimed SuperNATURAL® technology. The BK-7m also includes over 400 accompaniment arrangement styles in 10 different rhythm families, allowing for a broad range of music styles. Each accompaniment style has four variations that can be accessed with the touch of a button, each assigning the most suitable tones and effects to the real-time parts depending on the selected musical style.
- Portable backing module compatible with MIDI-capable pianos, keyboards, accordions, organs.
- 1,000-plus tones, 57 drum kits, 128-voice polyphony.
- Over 400 high-quality music styles, each with four one-touch settings.
- Over 900 Music Assistants covering every musical genre.
- SMF and audio file playback via onboard USB connector.
- Audio recording in WAV format directly to connected USB storage device.
- Cover function for SMFs and Music Styles.
- Composite Video Out to display Lyrics and/or Chord Symbols on external display.
More information: Roland / BK-7m
FAWM.org has released The Muse, a collection of free online songwriting tools.
This is a collection of small experiments in “computational songwriting inspiration.”
They were originally conceived to assist participants in the FAWM.ORG challenge, for whom writing 14 songs in 28 days sometimes requires a little assistance.
The Muse includes:
- Plot Spline — Framing device for helping you devise plot and setting constraints for your song.
- Struxxure — tool for uncovering possible out-of-the-box song structures.
- LyriCloud — Creates a randomized cloud of semantically-correlated words to spark your creativity.
- Titular — Generates several (potentially awkward) song titles for you to interpret and write about.
More information: FAWM.org / The Muse
(via The Redfaux Transmission)
Tanager AudioWorks has released SongFrame, a song development toolkit designed to provide songwriters and recording musicians an integrated and comprehensive set of tools for writing and refining songs.
In addition to serving as an overall notebook for a songwriter’s ideas, SongFrame allows the user to construct songs using drag & drop icons representing song structure elements and then fully develop every aspect of the song within these. SongFrame is used before the songwriter ever fires up his or her Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) recording or sequencing software. As the name implies – SongFrame creates the framework, foundation and superstructure of a song prior to the recording, arrangement and production process. Think of SongFrame as a “pre-DAW” or a songwriting front-end to your existing recording or sequencing setup.
- Develop complete songs, including chords, chord progressions, melodies, lyrics, rhythms and song structures.
- Import all Guide Tracks and Markers showing every song section and chord change into any Digital Audio Workstation recording or sequencing tool.
- Audible Chord Library with 70 Chords per Key, find chord substitutes by shared notes and get suggestions based on surrounding chords and desired mood.
- Thousands of real chord progressions in every key to boost your inspiration – filter by musical genre, era, complexity and root movement. Just drag and drop right onto the chord track!
- Choose from over 500 drum patterns for each song section, or have SongFrame build the entire drum track for you with one click.
- Quickly record ideas using audio or MIDI.
- Highlight vocal or instrument ranges directly on the MIDI track or display the scale tones of almost 150 musical scales.
- Store SongBits in a dynamic Notebook – drop any past idea into your current song, or share ideas with collaborators.
SongFrame is available for Windows PC and costs $179.99 USD. A demo version is available for download from the product page.
Visit Tanager AudioWorks for more information.
Some song lyrics just make you scratch your head and wonder what people were thinking when they wrote them. From the BBC site:
6 Music went on a quest to find the worst lyrics ever committed to song and you voted in droves on a shortlist generated from your suggestions. Voting is now over but see below to find out who came where in your top 10 worst lyrics of all time.
You can hear Marc Riley’s countdown of the worst lyrics (1hr 15 min) here.
Des’ree – Life
Des’ree won with the lyrics to her song Life:
I don’t want to see a ghost,
It’s the sight that I fear most,
I’d rather have a piece of toast,
Watch the evening news.
Pretty bad indeed. But I’m clueless why My Humps by Black Eyed Peas isn’t in this list.
I met a girl down at the disco.
She said hey, hey, hey yea let’s go.
I could be your baby, you can be my honey
Let’s spend time not money.
I mix your milk wit my cocoa puff,
Milky, milky cocoa,
Mix your milk with my cocoa puff, milky, milky riiiiiiight.
Link via Kottke.