MakeMusic has announced the release of Finale Songwriter 2010 and Finale PrintMusic 2010, two music notation software packages.
Both music notation software packages include new features and provide compatibility with current operating systems and files created with Finale 2010, MakeMusic’s flagship software package.
With a list price of $49.95, SongWriter lets songwriters, teachers, band and choir directors, church musicians, students, and other musicians create publisher-quality sheet music with instrumentations of up to 8 staves. SongWriter includes tools that inspire creativity including Drum Groove and Band-in-a-Box Auto-Harmonizing. With SongWriter they can hear their music played back using hundreds of built-in sounds, share their music with others using the free downloadable Finale Reader™ and create .MP3 files for use on iPods and beyond. A powerful mixer, flexible chord input, easy percussion notation, and more control over the printed page are just a few of the features added in this version.
PrintMusic has a list price of $99.95 and remains the world’s best-selling music notation software. It includes all the features of SongWriter, and much more, including music scanning, MicNotator®, the ability to import/export graphics, and a new handwritten font. PrintMusic users can arrange pieces of up to 24 staves and extract individual parts from the score. Features new to this version include automated rehearsal marks, flexible chord input, easy percussion notation and support for VST/AU instrument and effects plug-ins (sold separately), unleashing sonic possibilities unheard of in a notation product at this price point.
More information: MakeMusic
MakeMusic has announced Finale 2010, a powerful music notation software which lets you compose, arrange, notate, and print engraver-quality sheet music.
From Percussion Notation and Chord Entry to Rehearsal Marks and Measure Numbering, vast areas of Finale have been automated and simplified to save you time. Plus hundreds of music education worksheets, scanning improvements, and more.
New in Finale 2010
- Percussion Notation — We’ve simplified the process of getting notes on percussion staves to look – and playback – exactly the way you want them to.
- Chords — Change or delete notes without changing your chords. Attach chords to measures – whether or not they contain notes or rests – and have the chords appear and playback correctly.
- Garritan sounds — Finale now includes more than 350 world-class instrument sounds from the makers of Garritan Personal Orchestra. Free new sounds include organ, a variety of electric guitars, five octaves of handbells, and a brush drum kit.
- Automatic Rehearsal Marks — Use a keystroke to enter rehearsal marks and Finale automatically sequences them correctly and dynamically updates them when you delete, insert, or move any rehearsal mark or measure.
- Music Education Worksheets — Finale now includes hundreds of ready-made, customizable, music education worksheets designed for K-12 students.
- Graphics Support — Export as .JPEG, and .PNG and import as .JPEG, .PNG, .BMP, and .GIF in addition to previously supported formats of .TIFF, .EPS.
- Broadway Copyist — Inspired by the golden era of handwritten Broadway scores, the Broadway Copyist hand-written font offers a lighter, classic appearance.
- VST/AU Support & Updated Aria Player — Finale now supports all third-party VST/AU Instruments and Effects, providing users with unlimited sonic possibilities. Updated for Finale 2010, the Garritan Aria Player simplifies the process of changing MIDI channel assignments.
- Measure Numbers — Control measure number alignment, positioning, and fonts separately in your score and linked parts.
- Scanning Improvements and More — New Smartscore Lite scanning interface enables you to specify the instrumentation so that your staves will automatically be properly transposed and configured for playback. Also new are transparent selection handles, exporting lyrics to a word-processing document, and improved help documentation.
Finale 2010 is available for pre-order for $600 USD for new customers and upgrades start at $99.95 USD (limited time pre-order pricing).
Visit MakeMusic for more information.
MakeMusic has released Finale 2009a, a maintenance update for the notation software.
Changes in Finale 2009a
- Many more time-saving enhancements to the entry of expressions, including Staff Assignment Lists, an expanded category designer, layer assignment improvements, more Score Lists (formerly “Staff Lists”) and additional powerful timesaving keystrokes.
- Ambience Reverb is now included for Intel-based Macs, offering advanced control over great-sounding reverb. Macintosh playback problems, where users of specific audio interfaces only heard the left channel, have been resolved.
- SmartScore Lite Scanning Improvements – Support for triplet recognition and improved results when scanning polyphonic music.
- Improved Cross-Platform Font Handling. If you share Finale files between Mac and Windows computers, you’ve probably been puzzled by “MacSymbolFonts.txt” messages. Never again. Now Finale makes intelligent decisions for you AND offers better control if you need it.
- Improved placement of articulations. Fermatas and other articulations entered on a rest will automatically center correctly.
- Clearing Staff Styles is Now Easier. With the Staff Tool selected, press the Clear or Backspace key to clear any existing Staff Style in the selected region, and press the same key twice to clear the music.
- Graphic Export Settings are now preserved between Finale sessions.
- The appearance of Finale’s interface in Windows Vista has been updated.
- Dozens of other improvements, including the playback of slurs, Human Playback, Cautionary Accidentals, EPS and PostScript output, and much more.
Finale 2009a is a free update for registered users of Finale 2009 for Windows and Mac OSX.
Visit FinaleMusic.com for more information.
MakeMusic has released entry-level music notation software Finale NotePad 2009 and Finale Reader, a free reader.
Finale NotePad users can enter notes with their mouse or via step-time entry using any MIDI keyboard. NotePad can also open MIDI files as well as any Finale file. Its Setup Wizard makes it easy to create orchestrations of up to 8 staves and create more specialized notation like guitar or bass tablature. Music plays back with the nuance of Human Playback® and can be heard via the +128 included sounds or through an external MIDI device. Features new to 2009 include an all-new Expression Tool and the ability to import/export MusicXML files.
New in Finale Notepad 2009
- Add Dynamics and Tempo Markings – Entry is quick and easy, and all items are automatically positioned, and change playback appropriately.
- Drag and Drop Expressions – To reposition existing dynamics and tempo markings simply drag them anywhere in your score.
- Fully compatible with Finale 2009 and PrintMusic 2009
- Import and Export MusicXML 2.0 Files, easy expression editing, and more
Finale NotePad is available for Windows and Mac as a download for $9.95 USD or $19.95 on CD-ROM.
The Finale Reader is a free download that lets anyone open, view, print and play any Finale file. In addition it will be able to open MusicXML files as well.
Visit MakeMusic for more information.
MakeMusic has announced Finale 2009, the latest version of the popular music notation software.
New in Finale 2009
- Streamlined workflow – The creation, entry, moving, and editing of dynamics, tempo indications, and other text and markings has been reinvented and streamlined.
- Expanded SmartMusic support – Finale 2009 makes it easier and faster to create assessable SmartMusic accompaniments with support for linked parts, repeats, and more.
- Garritan sounds – Finale now includes more than 300 world-class instrument sounds from the makers of Garritan Personal Orchestra. Free new sounds include baritone saxophone, vintage electric piano, electric guitar, handbells, and more.
- Tapspace Virtual Drumline™ sounds – Finale also includes more than 100 instrument sounds from Tapspace Virtual Drumline, the world’s most powerful marching and concert percussion software instrument featuring the world-champion Santa Clara Vanguard percussion section.
- Aria Player: the next generation – The Garritan Aria Player is included FREE and is fully integrated into Finale 2009. The level of custom integration is unsurpassed and offers superior sound, more control, and a vastly improved user playback experience.
- Multiple page editing – Now you can simultaneously view and edit as many pages as you choose to view on your monitor.
- Full VST/AU instrument support – Finale is now compatible with all VST/AU instruments, providing users with unlimited sonic possibilities. Plus you can now specify which VST/AU plug-ins load, eliminating conflicts and assisting troubleshooting. Finale also checks plug-ins for compatibility before loading, and tracks which plug-ins were previously checked for better performance.
- More Improvements to engraver slurs, Human Playback® enhancements, FinaleScript® 2.0 and updates to MusicXML. Windows users can also benefit from ASIO support which provides more accurate playback, reduced latency, and increased compatibility with a wider variety of sound cards. (ASIO support is not needed in Mac OS X).
Finale 2009 is expected to start shipping the week of July 21, 2008 and can be pre-ordered now for $600 USD. An upgrade can be pre-ordered for $99.95 USD.
Visit the Finale website for more information.
MakeMusic has released Finale NotePad 2008, a freeware music notation application for Windows and Mac.
New in NotePad 2008
- Full compatibility with Finale 2008 and PrintMusic 2008.
- Vista compatible.
- Import and export MIDI files.
- MIDI input and output – enter notes in step-time using a MIDI keyboard and play back your compositions through an external MIDI device.
- Streamlined user interface and more.
Visit MakeMusic for more information and a link to download NotePad 2008.