, impulse responses
, samples and sound libraries
Posted in news
on Sep 20, 2010
RedWirez has released a free impulse library of a Marshall 1960A with Celestion G12M 25-watt Greenbacks.
Ah, the legendary Marshall 1960A. Pretty, ain’t it? With its grill-cloth glistening in the bar-light as this beast muscles out power chords in an amaranthine haze of smoke, hot lights and adoring fans… this cab positively reeks of rock… the raucous, beer-soaked, unapologetic kind. Oh, and it sounds great, too.
It was the first cab we ever sampled and is still one of our favorites, so it seems fitting to release these IRs into the wild on Redwirez’ birthday.
Marshall 1960A IR features
- Loaded with four, well-traveled 25-watt Celestion G12M “Greenbacks”.
- 17 industry standard mics, so explore countless tonal possibilities: AKG C414B-ULS, Audix D6, Audix i5, Beyerdynamic M160, Coles 4038, Electrovoice RE20, Heil PR30, Neumann KM84, Neumann U47, Neumann U67, Neumann U87, Royer R121, Sennheiser MD409, Sennheiser MD421, Shure SM57, Shure SM7, TAB-Funkenwerk SM57. The paid version also includes DPA 4007, Neumann U47FET, Sennheiser MD441, Unidyne III 545, Earthworks TC30, Neumann M7 on BLUE Bottle, Neumann M8 on BLUE Bottle.
- Added IRs of the G12M’s impedance curve at varying degrees of prominince (paid version only). These can be used to capture the effect of a tube amp interacting with the speaker. In general, tube amps have a higher output impedance than solid-state amps. As a result the speaker’s frequency response is shaped to varying degrees by it’s own impedance curve. All of our cabs will be getting this update in the near future.
- Up to 54 positions per mic for a total of 777 IRs (1048 in the paid version)
- Uncompromising signal chain that won’t add undesirable color to your sound. Bryston 4B -> Cab -> Mic -> Neve 1073 or Earthworks 1022 -> Prism Orpheus.
- Edited for better phase coherence allowing you to mix multiple IRs.
The Marshall 1960A/G12M cab is available as a free download (valid email address required).
More information: RedWirez
CD Sound Master has released The Producer’s Pack 2, a collection of programs for Nebula Pro by Acustica Audio.
“The Producer’s Pack 2″ library collection is the long-awaited companion to “The Producer’s Pack”, providing 37 new programs, including our unique “Real Spaces” Reverb collection, Bass EQ, and Vox and Marshall EQ’s and Amps!
This new library collection gives customers an amazing new array of tools for direct inject of bass and guitar. “Real Space” will give you a completely new mindset for mixing, providing a palette of true-to-life acoustic spaces for instrument and vocal placement.
Whether you are mixing completely in the box, or recording all live material, you can bring more dimensional space and re-amping choices with immediacy!
The Producer’s Pack 2 is available to purchase for $39 USD. It is also available as part of The Producer’s Pack 1 & 2 Combo, priced at $58 USD.
More information: CD Sound Master / The Producer’s Pack 2
, audio interface
, Pro Tools
Posted in news
on Sep 24, 2009
Digidesign has announced the Eleven Rack, a standalone hardware unit that combines a hyper-realistic guitar amp and effects processor with a high-quality computer recording audio interface, to create the ultimate recording and performance solution for guitar players.
The wait is over. We’re proud to introduce Eleven Rack™ — a revolutionary new guitar recording and effects processing solution designed to eliminate the challenges that guitarists have faced in the studio and on stage.
Experience the most sought-after guitar amp tones in the world — complete with all the sonic details that make playing through real amps feel like playing through real amps. Record guitar without audible latency using the included studio-standard Pro Tools® 8 software — now optimized for guitar players. Enjoy ultra-realistic convolution-based mic’d cabinet emulations, with mic placement courtesy of guitar recording expert John Cuniberti. Easily re-amplify tones without re-patching a single cable. Use it as a standalone effects processor and incorporate legendary amp and effects tones into your live rig. All of this and more is now available in a single solution, designed just for guitar players.
Eleven Rack features
- Eleven Rack Hardware
- Unique True-Z auto-impedance matching guitar input.
- Incredible emulations of classic guitar amp tones inspired by Fender®, Vox®, Marshall®, Soldano, and Mesa/Boogie® amps.
- Refined collection of sought-after classic stompbox tones inspired by effects from MXR®, Electro-Harmonix®, Ibanez®, ProCo, Univox®, and more.
- Powerful collection of studio-quality rackmount effects processors.
- Convolution-based cabinet emulations deliver unprecedented realism in cabinet tones.
- Convolution-based microphone emulations inspired by classic dynamic, condenser, and ribbon mic designs.
- Integrated FX loop switchable to incorporate existing mono or stereo rack and stompbox effects.
- Controllable via MIDI controllers and expression pedals.
- Built-in tuner.
- Tap-tempo control of time-based effects.
- High-speed USB 2.0 connection.
- Supports up to 8 simultaneous channels of high-resolution recording up to 24-bit/96 kHz.
- Stereo balanced XLR outputs and dedicated 1/4” outputs.
- XLR mic input with 48V phantom power and pad switch.
- 2 x 1/4” line-level inputs.
- AES/EBU and S/PDIF digital I/O.
- Stereo 1/4” headphone jack.
- 1 x 1 MIDI I/O.
- Pro Tools LE Software
- Award-winning Pro Tools LE 8 recording, editing, and mixing software — now optimized for guitar players.
- Powerful Eleven Rack control window for creating/editing Eleven Rack rig settings right from Pro Tools software.
- Records both dry and processed signals simultaneously, with recallable rig settings embedded into audio files.
- Includes over 70 professional effects, including reverb, delay, chorus, distortion, flanger, phaser, reverse, EQ, and compression.
- Powerful virtual instruments for creating backing tracks, including a drum machine, tonewheel organ, piano, synthesizer, and synth/sample workstation.
- Virtual Instruments
- Boom™ drum machine and sequencer.
- DB-33 tonewheel organ emulator with rotating speaker simulation.
- Mini Grand acoustic grand piano.
- Vacuum monophonic vacuum tube synthesizer.
- Xpand!®2 multitimbral synth and sample workstation.
- Structure Free sample player.
- FXpansion BFD Lite acoustic drum module.
- Effects, Sound-Processing, Utility Plug-ins
- 1-Band EQ III, 4-Band EQ III, 7-Band EQ III, AIR Chorus, AIR Distortion, AIR Dynamic Delay, AIR Enhancer, AIR Ensemble, AIR Filter Gate, AIR Flanger, AIR Frequency Shifter, AIR FuzzWah, AIR KillEQ, AIR Lo-Fi, AIR MultiChorus, AIR Multi-Delay, AIR Nonlinear Reverb, AIR Phaser, AIR Reverb, AIR Spring Reverb, AIR StereoWidth, AIR Talkbox, AIR Vintage Filter , BF76 Compressor, BF Essential Clip Remover, BF Essential Correlation Meter, BF Essential Meter Bridge, BF Essential Noise Meter, Celemony Melodyne Essential, Chorus, Click, Compressor/Limiter, D-Verb, DC Offset Removal, De-Esser, Delay, DigiReWire, Dither, Duplicate, Eleven Free, Expander/Gate, Extra Long Delay II, Flanger, Gain, Invert, Lo-Fi , Long Delay II, Maxim, Medium Delay II, Multi-Tap Delay, Normalize, Ping-Pong Delay, Pitch, Pitch Shift, POWr Dither, Recti-Fi, Reverse, SansAmp, Sci-Fi, Signal Generator, Short Delay II, Slap Delay II, Time Compression Expansion, Time Shift, TL AutoPan, TL InTune, TL MasterMeter, TL Metro, Trim, Vari-Fi.
Eleven Rack will be available worldwide in September 2009 and carries a USMSRP of $1,259 USD.
More information: Digidesign / Eleven Rack
Related: audio editor
, Pro Tools
Posted in news
on Sep 14, 2009
MOTU has released Digital Performer 7, an audio workstation software with MIDI sequencing for Mac.
Digital Performer lets you record, edit, arrange, mix, process and master audio and MIDI tracks side by side for songwriting, studio production, live performance, film and television sound tracks, audio post production, surround mixing and other professional audio production tasks.
Digital Performer 7 offers new features, enhanced operation and improved performance at all levels, from hundreds of small enhancements driven by user requests to major new features and plug-ins that add unprecedented value.
Changes in Digital Performer 7
- Custom ’59™ — A meticulously detailed guitar amp emulator modeled after all-time classics from Fender® and Marshall®.
- Guitar pedals — A new suite of stunningly accurate classic guitar pedals modeled after all-time favorites from Boss®, Ibanez® & others.
- Channel Strip — Gain instant access to all mixer channel settings for the track you are working on in any Editor window.
- Live Room | G™ — A superb physical modeling speaker cabinet emulator with four mixable mics (close, near and far) and 3-band EQ per mic.
- Inline EQ & dynamics — Control DP’s multi-band graphic EQ and vintage dynamics processing directly in each Mixing Board channel.
- Lead sheets — Create and print lead sheets, complete with lyrics and transposable chord symbols.
- Freely resizable Counter — Resize the Counter window to any size you wish, even the entire width of your screen.
- Marker Counter — Display markers in large type in the resizable Counter window. Use markers as a teleprompter for lyrics during live performance or recording sessions.
- Consolidated V-Racks — Display V-Rack virtual instruments and effects side by side with disk tracks in the Mixing Board.
- Lyrics — Type in lyrics directly below notes on the QuickScribe page. Or paste them into the Lyric window from your word processor and flow them into a track with one click.
- Transposable chord symbols — Add complex chord symbols directly on the page and transpose them at any time, together with or independently from notes.
- QuickScribe notation enhancements — Numerous enhancements give you even more control over the look of your score and help speed your notation workflow.
- Support for Pro Tools 8 — Industry-leading support for operation as a complete software front-end for Pro Tools | HD systems.
- Info Bar mixer controls — Get instant access to mixer channel settings in any editor window that follow the track you’re working on.
- Next-generation sample rate conversion — A new ultra-fast, CPU-efficient sample rate conversion algorithm delivers increased precision, efficiency, and transparency, with an astonishing 138 dB signal-to-noise ratio.
- Real-time crossfades — All crossfades are now computed in real time for lightning fast edits.
- Wave64 support — Support for the industry standard Wave64 extension to the Broadcast WAVE file format lets you record and import audio files larger than 4GB.
- Range automation modes — Raise, lower or write automation moves within any selected range, preserving everything before and after.
- Audio Units instrument side chains — Route side chain inputs to all your favorite third-party Audio Units plug-ins.
Digital Performer 7 is available for purchase for $395 USD. The upgrade from a previous version of Digital Performer is $195 USD.
More information: MOTU / Digital Performer
, impulse responses
, Line 6
, samples and sound libraries
Posted in news
on May 26, 2009
Kazrog has released version 2.0 of Recabinet, a speaker simulation for Windows and Mac.
With Recabinet, you can get full-bodied, album-quality guitar or bass tone at any volume with your Mac or PC. Recabinet accurately models the loud part of your guitar tone – including cabinets made by brands such as Marshall, Mesa Boogie, Fender, Orange, Vox, Ampeg, and more. Recabinet also models the subtle EQ shaping of 6L6 and EL34 power tubes, as well as 9 different industry-standard microphones in over a dozen positions.
Recabinet 2.0 comes in two flavors: Modern and Vintage.
Recabinet 2.0 features
- Recabinet Modern 2.0 Cabinets
- “Tangerine 4×12” – Orange 4×12
- “1960 4×12” – Marshall 1960AV 4×12
- “Excel 4×12” – Randall RS412XLT100 4×12
- “Ghandi 4×12” – Mesa Standard 4×12 (newly resampled for version 2.0)
- Plus the entire Recabinet Modern 1.0 library
- Recabinet Vintage 2.0 Cabinets/Combos
- “Motown 1×15” – Ampeg Portaflex B15N bass amp.
- “Blackface 4×10” – Fender ‘65 Super Reverb 4×10
- “Tweed 1×12” – Fender ‘53 Deluxe 1×12
- “Green 4×12” – Marshall 4×12 with Greenbacks
- “Zodiac 2×12” – Selmer Zodiac Twin 30
- “Top Boost 2×12” – Vox AC30
- Recabinet 2.0 Microphones
- “57” – Shure SM57 – industry standard dynamic microphone, the most popular microphone for guitar recording.
- “545” – Shure Unidyne III 545 – sought-after vintage predecessor to the Shure SM57, known for its smooth response, appreciated by those in the know.
- “121” – Royer 121 – legendary modern ribbon mic, extremely popular in modern recordings.
- “409” – Sennheiser MD409 – legendary vintage side-address dynamic microphone, used on many modern and classic recordings.
- “421” – Sennheiser MD421 – legendary dynamic mic, used on many modern and classic recordings.
- “i5” – Audix i5 – modern industry standard dynamic microphone, for a full-range, aggressive response.
- “D6” – Audix D6 – modern kick drum mic, great for getting the low “cabinet rumble” tone as a blend-in with your primary tone.
- “U87” – Neumann U87 – legendary condenser microphone with incredibly detailed, musical response.
- “RTA” – DBX RTA reference microphone, known for its perfectly flat response and high SPL rating. Useful especially for Fractal Audio AxeFX users, and cool for everyone else!
- Recabinet 2.0 Microphone Positions
- On-the-grill, 0.5 inch, 1 inch, 4 inch*, 6 inch*, 12 inch* and far field** depths available (* 121 mic only, ** RTA and 121 mics only)
- Speaker cap, edge of cap and cone, mid-cone, and 45 degree angle positions
- Power Sections
- Randall RT2/50 power amp with 6L6 power tubes (with all 4×12 cabinets)
- Randall RT2/50 power amp with EL34 power tubes (with all 4×12 cabinets)
- All other cabinets are amplifier combos, powered using their native power sections.
Recabinet Modern 2.0 and Recabinet Vintage 2.0 are available for purchase for $40 USD each. Recabinet Complete 2.0 bundles both at the discounted price of $70 USD.
Recabinet Modern 1.0 owners will receive the Recabinet Modern 2.0 upgrade free and are eligible to purchase Recabinet Vintage 2.0 for $20 USD until June 21, 2009.
Visit the Recabinet website for more information and audio demos.
, effect plugins
Posted in news
on Jan 14, 2009
Waves has released a free version of GTR Solo, the guitar/bass modeling software which delivers the sound of real amps, cabs, stomps, and mics—in your computer.
GTR Solo delivers the sound of real amps, cabs, stomps, and mics—in your computer. Just plug in, fire it up, and experience precision models of amplifiers by Fender®, Marshall®, Vox® and others. Then take it to the next level with awesome distortion, modulation, and ambient effects.
These are the same GTR sounds top guitarists, producers, and engineers are using on their most important tracks.
Your guitar. Your computer. And GTR Solo.
It’s all you need to take the lead.
GTR Solo features
- GTR Solo Amps
10 Amps based on classics from Fender®, Marshall®, Vox®, and more, modeled using revolutionary sampling techniques that go way beyond anything you’ve ever heard.
- Clean – Clean Based on a 1959 tweed Fender® Bassman®, Sweet Based on a 1968 Gibson® Skylark.
- High Gain – Crunch Based on a custom Garcia™ from Paul Reed Smith’s personal collection, Shredder Based on a Marshall® JMP1 preamp, PRS Scorch Based on a boutique amplifier from Paul Reed Smith’s personal collection, PRS Crush Based on a modified 50W Marshall® MK2.
- Drive – Edgy Based on a 1980 Vox® AC-30 TB-2, Drive Based on a 1964 blackface Fender® Super Reverb®, Overdrive Based on a 1980 Marshall® JMP.
- Bass – SolidState Based on a Hartke® 3500.
- GTR Solo Cabs
10 Cabs so real, you can feel the electric excitement of the speakers moving air – 12″ OpenBack, 2×12″ Closed Back, 2×12″ Open Back, 4×10″ Open Back, 4×12″ Standard, 4×12″ Vintage, Acme 12″ Custom, Bass 8×10″ Pro, Acme 4×12” Vintage Gibson® Skylark, Acme 8” OpenBack Hiwatt®.
- GTR Solo Stomps
13 Stomps to twist, distort, contort, color, bend, mutilate, and mangle your sound to the max. OverDrive, Distortion, Phaser, Flanger, Chorus, Delay, WahWah, Spring, Pitcher, Vibrolo, GateComp, EQ and Volume.
Visit Waves for more information.