Native Instruments has launched version 2.1 of Maschine, the groove production studio for Windows and Mac.
The new Grit kick engine is a modern, versatile electronic kick drum – great for IDM and electro styles. The new Shaker Performer creates tweakable, natural-sounding shaker patterns automatically. And the sample recording screen now lets you sample directly to different pads.
New Kick Grit engine and Shaker Performer mode in Maschine 2.1.
Changes in Maschine v2.1
- Grit engine in Kick Drum Synth – The Grit kick is a modern, versatile electronic kick drum. Tuned loose, it’s deep, open, boomy, and airy. Tightened up, it adds punch and heft. At high tunings, it can become gritty and bitcrushed – great for IDM and electro styles.
- New shaker Performer mode in Percussion Drum Synth – Hold down a note, and the highly innovative Performer creates natural-sounding shaker patterns automatically. Tweak the feel of the groove in real time, and add fills and syncopated riffs, with adjustable swing, shuffle, and groove. Incredibly powerful for live performances.
- Sounds accessible on pads on sample recording screen.
- A batch function to set all sounds in a group to the same MIDI channel. MIDI export available on the Group and Sound levels.
- Undocked NI plug-in windows can be pinned to remain active when not in focus.
- Scenes can be selected/triggered via MIDI input when MASCHINE is running standalone.
- Mix page on MASCHINE and MASCHINE MK2 controllers has been expanded and now provides access to level and pan settings for groups and sounds.
- A setting that only turns the metronome on when the Record button is enabled.
- Real time group erase function.
- Shift functions allow fast scroll browsing.
- Play quantize option –notes played live on the pads are quantized in real time.
- Control software views from the navigate page on MASCHINE and MASCHINE STUDIO controllers.
- Instantiating the first plug-in on an empty sound updates the name of that sound to the plug-in name.
- Sound, group volume & pan knobs are only displayed on hover.
- ALT+Drag for copy-pasting single elements (patterns, scenes, plug-ins) in the Groups / Sounds lists and the plug-in chain.
- Browser performance improvements.
- Numerous bug fixes, as well as performance and stability improvements.
Maschine 2.1 is now available to download from the NI Service Center.
More information: Native Instruments / Maschine
MPC-Samples has announced The Raw 70s Kit, a drum sample library for Akai’s MPC and Native Instruments Maschine.
‘The Raw 70s Kit’ is the second volume in our ‘Drum Evolution’ series featuring a fully multisampled 70s Ludwig Classic drum kit, recorded with an array of vintage microphones straight to 2 inch analogue tape, and mapped out perfectly into ready-to-play programs for all MPCs & Maschine.
Oozing with gritty character and tape saturated goodness, these are just about the filthiest, hard hitting multisampled drums we’ve ever had the pleasure of working with. The kit comes with 16 different drum articulations recorded with 12-18 takes across the entire velocity range (259 samples in total) and for each MPC model (including all version of JJOS) we’ve created ready-tweaked ‘finger drumming’ kits that you can just load up and start playing.
There are 259 drum samples in total, each provided in 24 bit WAV, 16 bit WAV and legacy MPC sound formats, along with ready-tweaked programs guaranteed fully compatible with every single MPC model ever, all versions of JJOS, and Maschine 1.8/2.x.
The Raw 70s Kit is available to download for $24.99 USD.
More information: MPC-Samples / The Raw 70s Kit
Loopmasters has released Prima Tech House, a new sample pack by Niche Audio, featuring a collection of 15 Tech House kits inspired by the current scene, as well as giving a nod to the classic Tech House sound.
Each Kit has been created from scratch for both Maschine and Ableton Live formats which maximises the use of the host software’s onboard effects and compression.
Our Niche Audio genre packs are highly editable super presets allowing producers to get right to the DNA of the patterns and sounds, editing MIDI, samples, and mix. The kits are mixed just like a record with EQ, Compression, Delay and Reverb keeping the producer focused on the music and allowing instant sample changes in the mix.
Producers can use any of the kits or projects as a starting point to get their ideas down fast. Easily edit some midi notes, perhaps swap some samples and within minutes a completely new kit and pattern has emerged indistinguishable from the original.
The sample pack available for Maschine and Ableton Live, priced at £24.95 GBP. A Wav One Shots pack is £17.95 GBP.
More information: Niche Audio / Prima Tech House
James of Freemasons wrote in to share a tutorial on how to get NI Maschine and Akai MPC swings natively inside Logic Pro and Ableton Live.
Ever since the release of NI’s Maschine and more recently, the return of the Akai’s MPC range, beat production has taken a huge leap forward sonically and rhythmically. However, both of these machines use their own proprietary systems and protocols for swing quantise.
One of the biggest problems when using these inside DAW’s with your other VST’s and audio is that each has its own quantise system that is not (always) mirrored by the software, so quantising parts running alongside your chosen drum machine to the same swing has often been a case of guess work and time-consuming experimentation.
We always ran into this problem so decided to solve it, and after a few days of quite painstaking work, we have converted the swings from NI’s Maschine and Akai’s MPC into groove templates for Logic 9 / Logic X and Ableton live 8/9 (Maschine only, MPC grooves were already present).
We also created an instructional video showing how you can import these grooves into the applications and into your own Logic startup pages. We hope you enjoy using them as we do.
The groove templates are available to download here.
More information: Freemasons (Facebook)
Native Instruments has announced the release of Grey Forge, a new Maschine Expansion for dark, monolithic techno productions and live performances utilizing the unique features introduced in MASCHINE 2 software.
GREY FORGE comes with 45 drum kits. Fully taking advantage of the MASCHINE 2 software’s Drum Synths, 14 kits contain pre-mapped macro controls to MASCHINE’s display knobs. Macro controls allow for creative beat morphing and total control over key parameters in each of the kits.
A further 230 Drum Synth presets offer a high variety of new sounds for producers to experiment with. Focusing on pulsating, raw, and stark techno styles, producers can build on rhythms with an array of grainy bleeps and one shots sampled from custom modular synths. Plus, 40 new MASSIVE presets provide intense basses and leads designed to cut though the mix in any club.
GREY FORGE comes with custom-built effect chains that load within a drum kit for fast access to additional atmospheres and textures. Parameters of some single effects are also pre-mapped to the eight display knobs on the MASCHINE STUDIO and MASCHINE hardware units, for adding live, on-the-fly tweaking while performing a techno set. With 9 full projects included, GREY FORGE also provides plenty of inspiring grooves to jumpstart the creative spark.
GREY FORGE is also available as an iMASCHINE Expansion, and features 2 projects and 4 kits for instant use in creating slabs of uncompromising techno. Tracks can be exported to MASCHINE STUDIO, MASCHINE or MASCHINE MIKRO for completion.
Grey Forge is available to purchase for $49 USD / 49 EUR / £42 GBP. The iMaschine expansion is an in-app purchase, priced at $0.99 USD / 0.89 EUR / £0.69 GBP.
More information: Native Instruments / Grey Forge
macProVideo has announced the release of Jeremy Ellis: Produce, Perform & Prevail!, a video tutorial on Native Instruments Maschine 2.0.
When Jeremy Ellis creates a Maschine video for Native Instruments, it’s a major event! In this exclusive course Jeremy breaks it all down explaining how he produced and performed the entire NI promo track! Watch and learn as Jeremy and Maschine make music together!
Jeremy Ellis is a finger drumming virtuoso. This course takes you inside Jeremy’s head (scary!) giving you the inside story on his Maschine Studio workflow. You see both his creative and technical processes unfold right before your eyes as he reveals the key ingredients that flavor his now famous Maschine Studio, Native Instruments music video.
The video is available to macProVideo subscribers ($25 USD/mth), and as a HD download for $19.50 USD.
More information: macProVideo / Produce, Perform & Prevail!
Loopmasters has released Beat Machines TR909, a sample pack by Niche Audio.
At Niche Audio we believe the TR909 when processed and abused through the right gear takes its vibe to another level! We felt such aTR909 sample collection was missing – a TR909 sample pack lovingly created and saturated with vibe and character, along with user flexibility!
That is what we intended… and we believe this collection succeeds in capturing the soul of one of the most legendary analog drum machines ever made, and processed by some of the best boutique hardware around.
Every single drum hit has been processed by an assortment of boutique (and low end) gear for maximum authentic vibe. The hardware used includes a SSL 900 AW mixing console, and original UAD 1170, Distressors compression, DBX 165, along with Focusrite EQ. Of course, we’ve also included a non processed kit recorded via very high end convertors.
Vibe, not just quality is what this pack is all about. One of the kits even uses the exact same budget Mackie mixer used by thousands of dance record producers in the 90s. Authenticity, if its worth doing, its worth doing it right!
Beat Machines TR909 features
- 15 Kits, 48 Patterns.
- 241 One shot Samples.
- Maschine 1.8, Maschine 2.0+ or Ableton Live 9 formats..
- Also available as One Shots Pack (contains all the single Wav samples in 44.1 & 96kHz plus 15 soft sampler patches).
The sample pack is available to purchase for £24.95 GBP. The One Shots Pack is £17.95 GBP.
More information: Niche Audio / Beat Machines TR909
ADSR Sounds has launched Liquid House, a collection of sounds sampled from some of the world’s finest analog drum machines intended for house producers and DJs.
Each kit contains a dry and a distorted, compressed version of 8 sounds: two kicks, two snares, two hat sounds, a bass sound, and a lead sound. the dry sounds are prime to be manipulated and mangled for all kinds of house and other EDM productions, while the distorted sounds are ready for live use in the club, warehouse, or any late-night party. Using pairs of kits on each of Maschine’s groups this way allows producers to evenly fade – or suddenly cut – between dry and heavily distorted versions of the sounds.
This isn’t an average collection of sounds for average EDM artists – Liquid House is a collection of the authentic sounds of analog synthesis that looks to the future and to favorite studio and performance gear of years (and house DJ sets) past and present.
Liquid House features
- Includes 9 Maschine groups, 144 sounds, 150+ samples, and one big demo project with all of the kits and sounds pre-loaded.
- All samples recorded straight from analog drum machines using high-quality outboard gear and next-generation audio-to-digital converters.
- Takes advantage of Maschine’s sampler’s MP60 mode, an emulation of a much-beloved vintage sampler that perfectly complements to sounds of raw, analog drum sounds.
The sample pack is available to purchase for $19 USD.
More information: ADSR Sounds / Liquid House