Whitebox Synth Makers has released Meanwhile, a free sound pack for Ableton Live and Max for Live.
Thinking of randomising sounds in an Eno-esque way I put four samples into a rack (naming them as vaguely as possible AFTER BEFORE DURING EARLIER) and used Max’s brilliant Device randomiser on three of them. One remains fairly straight to provide a sense of a root note.
Then I added a specific (variable) effect to each sound.
- “After” has redux on/off
- “Before” has filter room reverb
- “During” has electric distortion
- “Earlier’ has the Brooklyn resonator. Mess around with this until it makes some biscuits. FREE till your cows come home
Meanwhile is a free download. Requires Ableton Live and Max for Live.
More information: Whitebox Synth Makers / Meanwhile
Whitebox Synth Makers has released the Max Pack, a collection of Max for Live devices.
This Pack consists of 8 inventive Max for Live synths ranging from rich pads to bright marimbas to atmospheric soundscape creators.
Each device is essentially a synth. All have built-in effects for tweak-ability while
some have effects you can’t touch unless you really want to take the things apart.
Max Pack features
- Pixiphone: ambient instrument that models a child’s toy.
- Malletbox: ambient percussive instrument with a user-recordable buffer.
- Spotfield: designed for the musician who is either in a hurry, bored with tweaking parameters and/or extremely lazy.
- Low: piece of reverse-engineering in the same mode as Ableton’s ambient and evolving instruments.
- Dialsynth: superfast one-dial call-up of 24 pre-written synth presets ranging from rich pads to quirky leads.
- Baconfist: turn any sample into a synth.
- 8-Box: ambient synth with 8 pad tones plus Reverb, Attack, Release, Cutoff and Spectral Delay.
- Ambibell: ambient bell-tone synth that incorporates Mormo’s Pitch Drop for surprising slide effects behind the ongoing play.
The Max Pack costs $8 USD. Live 9 and Max 6 compatible.
More information: Whitebox Synth Makers / Max Pack
K-Devices has announced the launch of its M4L Summer Bundle, a collection of 6 devices for Max for Live.
Summer breeze comes to K-Devices shop! Until July 31th get ALL our paid devices with 20% off!
- Drumk2, the amazing samples manipulator
- Shaper, the smart audio destroyer
- REF, the rad envelope follower
- all Kflux granulator devices (instrument + dsp + synth)
Six crisp and powerful M4L devices for 49,99€, instead of 62,94€
Put some great M4L tools in your live set!
Buy the M4L bundle and find an additional 50% discount for 1h one to one online course! The discount can also be combined with the already existing EDU offer. You can use the course for learning M4L or go deeper on the products with the developers ;)
More information: K-Devices
Point Blank Online has introduced Big Riff Generator, a free Max for Live device by expert tutor Daniel Herbert, designed to help stimulate the creative process.
Here’s the seventh Max For Live device in this current series from Point Blank. We’ve called it the Big Riff Generator and it’s capable of generating some monster riffs or funky bass lines when it’s in the mood! It only generates MIDI notes, so you’ll need to insert it just before an instrument device and choose a suitably fat sound. It bounces notes directly into the selected clip, and can produce an infinite amount of monophonic patterns. You can specify the key and select a variety of different scales and modes (if you’re interested in learning more about modes then be sure to check out Point Blank’s EMC2 course) and it also features probabilistic controls over octave leaps, rests and note repeats. You can let it explore a range of rhythmic variations or limit it to something more repetitive and it’s possible to also restrict the range of notes.
It’s great fun to see what musical ideas the Big Riff Generator can come up with, and after some playing around with the parameters you never know it might just produce that killer hook that you’ve been after. It’s not limited to pitched sounds, so try it out with drums, and as with any plugin of this nature, expect to tweak the patterns in the clip window and just use this as a starting point!
The Big Riff Generator is available to download at Point Blank Online’s Facebook.
More information: Point Blank Online / Big Riff Generator
Javier Melgar of animatek.net has announced the release of Ultimate Ztep Zeq, a sequencer device for Max For Live.
Ultimate Ztep Zeq is a 16-step sequencer with independently adjustable parameters for each step.
Wikipedia defines a sequencer as device or application software that can record, edit, or play back music, by handling note and performance information in several forms, typically MIDI or CV/Gate, and possibly audio and automation data for DAWs and plug-ins.
UZZ is a Max For Live device inspired in the step sequencer created by Len Sasso for Logic Audio environment.
Ultimate Ztep Zeq costs 5 EUR.
More information: Ultimate Ztep Zeq