UVI has announced the release of Mello, an authentic-sounding software recreation of the tape-based Mellotron instrument.
With Mello we’ve aimed to deliver a complete and authentic recreation of this prolific instrument. Dozens of original tapes were multi-sampled on 3 different machines in order to give you the best representation of each of the 28 available sounds. To capture the live experience the key noise and inner mechanical sounds were stereo recorded, including tape noise and key-off sounds, and are all mixable to taste.
To make Mello even more versatile we’ve added a few tricks of our own, including an analog-modeled tape delay, reverb, a custom unison mode to give you stereo sound without unwanted transposition or chorusing, a switchable multimode filter, a 3-band EQ and more.
Mello delivers a warm and buttery tone indistinguishable from the original and is, in every way we could make it, a perfect tribute to the quintessential studio instrument of the 60′s.
- Pristine and comprehensive sample library from 3 original machines.
- Mixable key and mechanical noise for authentic experience.
- Switchable keyboard range (original or extended).
- Stereo modes including custom unison.
- Switchable multimode filter with cutoff and resonance.
- ADSR envelopes for amplitude and filter with velocity sensitivity.
- 3-band EQ with sweepable mid frequency.
- Built-in SparkVerb.
- Analog-modeled tape delay.
UVI’s Twitter followers and Facebook fans can download Mello at no cost for the first three months (MSRP $99 USD). Requires iLok.
More information: UVI / Mello
GForce Software has introduced The Streetly Tapes Vol 2, a new add-on for the M-Tron Pro virtual Mellotron instrument for Windows and Mac.
Streetly Tapes for M-Tron Pro Vol2 is the perfect compliment to the previous Vol1 Expansion Pack and in our opinion is an essential add-on for all M-Tron Pro owners.
Curated from the original Mellotron® tape archives, Volume 2 combines a mixture of rare gems and definitive versions of celebrated, legendary and renowned tones, designed to berate life into your compositions 8 seconds at a time.
The Streetly Tapes Vol 2 features
- A GForce Software and Streetly Electronics collaboration.
- Tape banks from the original UK ‘Tron masters.
- Derived from original EMI tape-stock.
- 24 carefully curated sounds for M-Tron Pro.
- 35 notes per tape bank.
- Exclusively available via download – 600MB.
- 100s of patches, many from luminaries including Jem Godfrey (Frost), Dave Spiers and Tony Durkin.
The Streetly Tapes Vol 2 expansion costs £59.99 GBP inc. VAT.
More information: GForce / The Streetly Tapes Vol 2
, Camel Audio
, Electric Himalaya
Posted in news
on May 28, 2013 - 0 comments
Camel Audio has updated its Alchemy Mobile virtual synthesizer app for iOS to version 2.0.18.
Alchemy Mobile v2 is the latest update to Camel Audio’s popular iOS sample manipulation synthesiser for your iPhone/iPad.
The 2.0.18 update provides support for the general pasteboard so you can easily paste audio into Garageband and other non-ACP apps. Also included are a new manual to help you get the most from all its features both old and new, as well as additional improvements.
Changes in Alchemy Mobile v2.0.18
- Copy/Paste to Garageband and other non-ACP apps.
- New Manual makes learning easy – see Extra->Help.
- New ‘Himalaya: Vintage’ Sound Library available – authentic classic synths.
- Improved handling of looped audio.
- Improved background rendering.Various other improvements and fixes.
Camel Audio has also announced Himalaya: Vintage for Alchemy Mobile.
It offers an authentic vintage vibe and playability with squelchy basses, rich multi-layered pads, cutting synths and shimmering strings. Classic synths include the Mellotron, Solina and Oberheim.
It’s out now as an in-app purchase for just 4.99 USD / 3.99 EUR / 2.99 GBP.
Alchemy Mobile Free is available to download for iPhone/iPad from the iTunes app store. Alchemy Mobile Pro Upgrade is available as an in-app purchase for $14.99 USD / 11.99 EUR / £10.49 GBP.
More information: Camel Audio
Whitebox Synth Makers has released Mellotronica PACK, a free instrument for Ableton Live and Max for Live.
WHITEBOX Mellotronica PACK. Simpler is loaded with Ableton’s Limette sample then given an unpredictable Filter frequency, Spread, Glide Time, Filter Resonance and Loop Start with Max’s Device Randomiser.
Further processed with Beat Repeat (requires transport ON) and Simple Delay this is an intriguing if rather demanding sound creator. Drop ANY sample into it, of course.
The Mellotronica PACK is a free download. Requires Max for Live.
More information: Whitebox Synth Makers
Hollow Sun has announced the release of Optomotron and Newtron Bomb III, two sample libraries for Native Instruments Kontakt.
Hollow Sun’s Optomotron comes with all the standard Vako Orchestron sounds but, as always, with a bit of twist.
- Optomotron – The very rare sounds from the Vako Orchetron, a kind of optical disk Mellotron with technology derived from the Optigan.
Layering, comprehensive functionality, a good chain of multiFX including chorus, phaser, echo and convolution reverb with custom impulses. Optomotron brings the scratchy. lo-fi sounds from the Orchestron tnto the modern age.
- Newtron Bomb III – The gothic splendour of the legendary Tron which has now been updated dramatically.
SOUND ON SOUND found “the overall character of these samples to be superb” and “this set beat mine hands down for sheer presence and clarity within a mix.”
Now with layering, improved functionality and multi-FX.
The sample libraries are available to purchase for £20 GBP each, or in a bundle for £30 GBP. Requires Kontakt 4.2.4+ full version.
More information: Hollow Sun
Tronsonic has announced Micro packs, a new range of sample libraries for Native Instruments Kontakt.
Tronsonic Detroit Hammond Mikcro pack for NI Kontakt.
These can be seen as extra ‘tape banks’, in the same way for example that the mellotron has it’s own range, though of course these are virtual (the original samples however have all been recorded to different varieties of tape at some point).
The interface enables full control over how ‘damaged’ you’d like the tape to sound, as well as how expressive the instrument is – having controls over velocity, velocity to filter cutoff and adsr envelopes.
There is a constantly running tape machine behind the scenes, with the ‘degrader’ allowing you precise control over how much you’d like the tape to be damaged, via volume, tone or pitch. The ‘warble’ generator is completely randomized, so no damage will ever sound the same, and can give you instant ‘Boards of Canada’ type sounds, should you wish.
Tronsonic Micro packs
- Detroit Hammond – Moody damaged 7th chords from the Hammond m100.
- Electric Harpsichord – Harpsichord preset from the Farfisa 110pro 1970′s portable organ.
- DubDrum 141 – 16 variations of a beat from the Hammond auto-vari64 drum machine, dubbed out through 2 daisy-chained wem copicat tape delays. Tempo at 70.5/141 bpm.
The Micro packs are available to purchase for £1.99 GBP each.
More information: Tronsonic / Micro packs
, IK Multimedia
, instrument plugins
, samples and sound libraries
Posted in news
on Aug 01, 2012 - 0 comments
IK Multimedia has launched a Krazy Deal for its SampleTron virtual instrument for Windows and Mac.
IK Krazy Deal is back in session! Whether your from the old school or the new class, this deal has got you covered. From July 31 to August 7, save 85% on SampleTron – a virtual instrument made for many styles from hip hop to electronic to classic rock and offers some of the most unique musically useful tones you can imagine.
Use coupon code: CLASS13 on the IK online store to get 17 rare, collectible instruments in one easy-to-use workstation for only $29.99/€24.99.
Not only will you save 85%, but you’ll also get a minimum of 19 JamPoints from IK’s Reward Points Program. 1 point equals $1/EUR1 in the IK Store! This deal will save you even more with other IK products like SampleTank, Sonik Synth, T-RackS 3 plus many others.
SampleTron is a virtual instrument that combines the authentic recreation of “Tron” sounds such as Mellotrons, Chamberlins, and Optigans with the powerful editing and playback features of the SampleTank engine.
The SampleTron is available to purchase for $29.99 USD / 24.99 EUR (85% off regular) until August 7th, 2012. Use coupon code CLASS13 at checkout.
More information: IK Multimedia / SampleTron
GForce Software has released Re-Tron, a Rack Extension for Propellerhead Reason.
Re-Tron for Reason is based on GForce Software’s M-Tron Pro instrument.
Remaining faithful to the 35 note 8 second limitation of the original instrument, Re-Tron gives you direct access to 25 premium tape banks from the original British Mellotron® manufacturer and makers of the magnificent M4000, Streetly Electronics.
Use Re-Tron either as straightforward playback device for these iconic sounds, or, via the dual-layer and comprehensive editing features, create your own bespoke, hybrid ‘tron patches which inject all the character from days gone by without the expense of owning and maintaining an original instrument.
Based on the multi-award winning M-Tron Pro, Re-Tron offers several unique features, including several tape banks that have never previously been released in any digital format, as well as the back-panel Modulation Inputs & Outputs and CV Gate control that Reason affords.
- 35 Notes of ‘tron goodness.
- Tape reverse.
- Tape half speed.
- Dual Layer capability for mixing sounds.
- Comprehensive synthesis section for each layer.
- Multimode filter for each layer.
- Global Delay and Ensemble Effects.
- Flexible back panel routing providing a raft of cross-modulation options.
- Twenty five exclusive ‘Tron tape banks: Cello, Choir (8 Voice Mixed), Church Organ, Clarinet, Combined Choir, Electric Guitar, Female Choir, Flute, French Horn, GC3 Brass, Glock & Bells, Lowrey & Leslie, M300B Violins, M400 Vibes, Male Choir, Mandolin, Miller Brass, Orchestra, Piano, Pump Organ, Tenor Sax, Trumpet, Violins, Wineglass, Woodwind.
The Re-Tron Rack Extension is available from Propellerhead for the introductory price of 59 EUR/$75 USD.
More information: GForce Software / Re-Tron at Propellerhead Store